0.0 hrs last two weeks / 4.8 hrs on record (4.3 hrs at review time)
Posted: Aug 14, 2015 @ 6:43pm

This is slow, dull game with almost no interaction, puzzle-solving, or challenge of any kind.

And I love it.

Not because it’s beautiful, not because it’s atmospheric, not even because it’s full of wonder and surprise.

I love it because it made me think differently. It made me wonder what it’s like to be someone else. It made me contemplate what I take for granted. It made me admire an ordinary person’s courage. It was a new experience, but rather than just a novelty, it felt like an experience worth having.

The game uses visuals to try and give you an idea of what it’s like to have no vision. Things only reveal themselves when they make noise, and I was stunned more than once when I finally reached a sound only to discover it was something I couldn’t have expected. I’ve never played a game that made me doubt my senses the way this one has.

The people who voted this game down are right, Rae moves very slowly. Infuriatingly slowly. Anyone who hurries to reach the end will only be aggravated. But that’s the point: she’s blind. She CAN’T hurry. Running around without being able to tell where you’re going wouldn’t make any sense, especially for a timid little girl.

If I had to criticize, I would say that the story about the cat could have been fleshed out a little more before the hunt began. I realize that it’s not really the point, but it would have been nice if there was a bit about Nani helping Rae reengage with the world after her accident or something.

All you do is walk around. There are no challenges, no failure states. The entire game is just slowly traversing an extremely simple maze, where you can only see a few feet in front of you. As a videogame, that’s terrible.

I knew I loved it when I realized that all the vibrant colors, all the lush plants and chirping birds and flowing creeks, weren’t real. My character didn’t, COULDN’T, know what any of those things looked like. That’s why the color drains from the world when she gets scared.

This is a story about a little girl, whose whole world is completely blank, and she chooses to fill it with color.

And I think that’s beautiful.
error406 May 26, 2018 @ 7:58am
well put =)
Chrstphr-J Dec 27, 2015 @ 1:38pm
Beautiful review for a beautiful game! And, of course, I'm not using "beautiful" as just a visual descriptor. Also, a good story is all about experience, IMO. And the better the story, the more the listener/reader/viewer feels like they are actually experiencing what is going on. Anyhoo...
Jedidiah Nov 13, 2015 @ 8:24pm
So...the negative reviews actually expose the purpose of the game?
Brilliant.
PillarOfSaltShakers Nov 13, 2015 @ 10:29am
Pretty much, though it has less story than those games. It's just an experience, little more. It's a game only in the sense that the way it feels, controlling the character yourself, is a feeling that you couldn't get with a movie or book.
Dr. Octagon Nov 12, 2015 @ 9:48pm
It sounds like it's an interactive story (e.g., To The Moon, Dear Esther, Gone Home) and not an actual game.
Nantes Nov 12, 2015 @ 2:53pm