0.0 hrs last two weeks / 12.1 hrs on record (8.3 hrs at review time)
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 @ 10:49am
Updated: Jul 27, 2018 @ 11:01am

It really is a shame that this game doesn't seem to be getting much attention. I think it is quite a hidden gem.

I really like the art style. All the character sprites just ooze personality. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that the idle animations in some cutscenes look a bit exaggerated, with some characters constantly headbanging for no reason. Less animation would have been more here. But I am willing to overlook that minor flaw because I just enjoy the style so much. Also, don't let the cutesy look fool you. There are some really brutal scenes in this game.

The game mechanics heavily rip o... I mean take inspiration from the great Papers Please. But this game gives you fewer details to worry about. So anyone who liked the general idea of PP but got too overwhelmed by the complexity of later levels will enjoy this slightly less mentally taxing approach to the "people vetting" genre. The game still feels challenging, though.

The story is a typical gangster drama plot where you have to decide between staying loyal to your criminal boss or turning him in. But the characters have some surprising hidden depths, making the plot an enjoyable experience.

I should also point out a few quality-of-life issues: The game language at first launch defaults to Spanish for some reason (hint: pick the default language either from the Steam settings or the system locale and if both fail, just ask the user), unskipable intro video, unskipable scene transitions, the day select screen is annoying to navigate, a few glitches here and there (like dialogs getting stuck in an infinite loop). But these are all minor problems. There is just one game design issue which really bothers me: the ultra-simplistic combat mechanic where you just press F once to not die.

In the end this game might not be for everyone, but I definitely enjoyed it.