This update was re-released to fix a browser crash on Linux.
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.New Big Picture Mode
- Updated Big Picture is now available for testing. You can read more about it in this blog post. Modify your Steam client shortcut and add -gamepadui on the command-line to automatically start Steam in the new Big Picture Mode. Alternatively, pass -newbigpicture to start in Desktop mode and have access to the new Big Picture Mode at any time.
- Reduced client startup times for users with large game libraries
- Fixed issue where launching a game would take longer to start if there was no network connection
- Fixed VR flags not showing up in app details for some games
- Center the popup controller configurator window when viewing controller layout
- Fixed circular download progress indicator being broken in game entry list
- Fixed downloads page crashing when starting in offline mode
- Downloads page now properly responds to online/offline status
- Updated “Steam News” popup dialog (again)
- Fix a case where if the sign-in UI had cached credentials which had become invalid, it could get stuck and not accept valid credentials thereafter
- Fixed an input focus bug requiring an initial click on the sign in UI before you could type your username or password
- Fixed issues with dragging or closing the sign in window, and related display scaling issues, on computers with nonstandard desktop scaling
- Fixed an edge case in handling of invalid cached credentials affecting reauthentication
- Fixed issue with sign in refresh UI when the user had already signed in once during the current session.
- Gyro Enabling: The "Touch" option is now available to controllers which do not have capacitive touch sensors - Moving joysticks out of their deadzone now counts as a "Touch".
- All controller types can each now optionally choose to use a Nintendo-style layout. This flips the A and B button and X and Y button universally in Steam and in games.
- The Xbox extended features driver has been updated for Windows 11
- Fixed hang when the Amazon Luna controller rumbles on macOS
- Fixed issue with the touch binding in As Mouse mode releasing before the end of a swipe
- Fixed occasional long hitches during Windows desktop capture
- Fixed glyphs for third party Nintendo controllers while streaming
- Fixed issue that caused some OpenXR app images to not appear properly in SteamVR
This update was re-released later in the day on October 18th to help reduce the number of server calls made by the client.
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.Library
- Added a section to display a rollup of new DLC and other game content that has been released since you last visited a game's library page. Once visible, this section will automatically hide after a short period of time.
- Rebuilt how featured game news is displayed on library game pages. It is now displayed as a featured post at the top of the activity feed to improve readability and reduce the required work for game devs. The entry is shown for a short period of time before returning to its chronological spot in the activity feed.
- Updated the presentation of the new DLC added to your account section on library game pages.
- Changed how major updates are displayed in the library activity section to make them easier to find.
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.New Steam Sign In UI
Sign In UI
- Now enabled for all users
- QR Code sign in now available
- Read this announcement for more details
- Fixed username and password fields flashing briefly at the end of a successful sign in
- Fixed automated login with credentials provided on the command line
- Fixed Steam Guard code input accepting and potentially submitting with invalid characters
- Fixed confirmation-based mobile sign-ins not successfully approving login when client asked for Steam Guard code instead
- Added explicit messaging for failures related to too many retries
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.Sign In UI
Games to Play Together
- Updated sign in UI look and feel
- Allow friend search by nickname or persona name
- Include free to play games that have been played by the friend in Games to Play Together filters
- Fixed issue with “Find Games to Play with Friends” showing games that your friend is sharing with you
- Fixed text display cropping issue with library filter tags
- Fixed showing “Cloud Sync Failure” dialog on game launch when in Offline mode
- Improve overlay responsiveness in some edge cases for users with large friends lists or large numbers of incoming friends requests.
- Fixed rare cases of keyboard input arriving out of order
This update was re-released on September 28 to update and fix localization entries.
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.Games to Play Together
- You can now add Friends as a filter under Advanced Filtering in your Library. It will show games you have in common.
- Right-click on any user in Chat or your Friends List to Find Games to Play Together and it will auto-populate your filter while also applying the Multiplayer tag.
- Right-click a Group Chat header to do the same with smaller group chats or voice channels (8 members or less)
- In-game purchases on Mac and Linux will now use the updated purchase approval dialog
- Reduced network usage at startup
- Fixed issue causing games which are currently updating to not change to playable when going into Offline Mode unless Steam is restarted
- Fixed link to downloads page not appearing at client startup if no downloads are ongoing
- Fixed input of characters using AltGr on Windows in the Steam Login dialog and Steam Chat and web browsers in the Steam Overlay
- Fixed community broadcast pop-out and closing of the mini-player view
- Fixed client update dialog sometimes failing to display update notes
- Updated embedded Chromium build in Steam to 85.0.4183.121
- Greatly improved capture performance in Vulkan games
- Fixed Remote Play launch hanging when the remote game had a cloud sync pending
- Fixed black screen when streaming to a Linux computer
- Steam no longer ignores PS4 controllers when DS4Windows is running, allowing DS4Windows to remap them normally
- Added support for the Hori Fighting Stick α
- Added support for Kinvoca Joy-Cons controllers
- Default the names of generic gamepads to the device name reported over USB
- Fixed not being able to press the mic button on PS5 controllers
- Fixed displaying the name of Nintendo Online NES controllers
- Fix an issue where Switch controllers could show up w/ a duplicate device
- Fixed issues w/ Alt-Tabbing via Guide Button Chords
- Added experimental support for PS3 controllers on macOS
- Bring various bug fixes from the Steam Deck beta branch to fix those while streaming from the Desktop client
- FlickStick Upgrade (inherited from CS:GO)
- New angle snapping options for initial Flick-Turns (None, 180, 90, 60, 45, Forward Deadzone Angle).
- Tunable Forward Deadzone Angle.
- Rapid consecutive Flick-Turns will be fully respected (the previous Flick-Turn was interrupted in the last version)
- Flick-Turn Duration becomes a tunable smoothing factor (low pass filter), instead of a fixed duration. The time to complete a turn is relative to the size of the angle being turned.
- Flick-Turn is smoothed based on how far the stick is thrown past the inner deadzone, for a less "surprising" Flick-Turn threshold.
- Sensitivity Setting becomes "Pixels Per Revolution" (This setting was previously pixels per half revolution).
- Sweep rotation sensitivity and smoothing can be tuned independent of Flick-Turn.
- More gradual rotation when stick is partially-thrown
- Fixed web browser crash when loading certain blank URLs
- Fixed incorrect placement of "Restore Window" button when client window is maximized
- Fix entering characters in Steam Overlay that use an AltGr key sequence
This update was re-released on August 30 with the following change: Reduced network usage at startup.Note:
This update was re-released on August 19 to fix an issue with Steam Chat window handling.
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.Steam Library
- Fixed library crash when opening certain game news items
- Fixed a library pause when a new screenshot is taken for a game with a large number of screenshots
- Fixed persistent “Steam Cloud out of date” message for some apps which do not have Steam Cloud fully enabled
- Improved support for the Nintendo Online classic controllers
- Added support for Nintendo Joy-Con controllers, both individually as a mini-gamepad and combined into pairs
- Fixed a rare freeze when using the on-screen keyboard in the controller overlay
- Fixed left and right thumbstick movement leaking through to the remote side when using a PS4 controller in the controller overlay
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.General
- Fixed resource usage of chat and web browser in Steam Overlay when hidden
- Fixed playback of certain game preview videos in Steam Client
- Fixed a case where Steamworks API calls could be briefly blocked by Steam client log file operations leading to micro-stutter in some games under very specific situations
- Fixed the Steam Overlay not working with Vulkan 1.3 applications
- Fixed crashes with Vulkan games using VK_EXT_graphics_pipeline_library
- Fixed issue causing some users to be unable to disable Cloud Sync for their account.
- Fixed for app launch stall if there are sync conflicts but Cloud Sync is disabled for the game or account
- Added support for Nintendo Online classic controllers
- Added support for the Qanba Obsidian and Dragon Arcade Joysticks
- Added support for the HORI Fighting Stick mini 4
- Show firmware update dialog for DualSense(tm) Wireless Controllers on Windows
- Enable improved rumble emulation on DualSense(tm) Wireless Controllers with updated firmware
- Fixed the "Your other games" section in the desktop version of the configurator not showing results
- Fixed incorrect controller configuration loading when starting a Remote Play stream
- Fix showing incorrect Steam Cloud Sync Failure for remote games
- Fixed resource usage of chat and browsers when Steam client is minimized/closed
- Fixed Steam Overlay not displaying in some Metal games
- Fixed Steam Overlay "Force Quit" not working for some native Linux games
- Fixed some games being unable to create desktop shortcuts
- Fixed the Steam client triggering "split lock" warnings
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.Note:
This update was re-released on June 7 to fix some regressions in Remote Play.Remote Play
- Greatly improved desktop capture quality on Windows, now supporting variable framerates
- Fixed crash on Windows when the stream resolution is changed
- Fixed streaming connections failing after Steam has been restarted
- Fixed Remote Play Together dialogs occasionally not resizing correctly
- Fixed color quality when streaming from Linux to Steam Deck
- Fixed game install/update failing for Steam libraries installed on a filesystem that does not support preallocation (e.g. ExFAT, FAT32)
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.General
- Improved client reconnection logic to prevent excessive reconnect attempts and to prevent synchronized reconnects among different clients
- Fixed a crash at startup on machines with certain older video drivers
- Fixed flickering in activity feed on app details page when clicking on the same game in the game list
A new Steam client has been released and will be automatically downloaded.
Note: This update was re-released on May 12 to fix an issue installing some demos.General
- Fixed Steam Chat, game properties and certain other browser popup windows not rendering initially on Windows
- Updated currency format of wallet balance in Russian ruble and South African rand
- Improved currency formatting in a few places including the Steam Wallet balance display to better match the way those currencies are displayed on the store
- Greatly improved performance when opening app details for games with lots of DLC, like Rocksmith 2014
- Fixed mini-profiles not showing on hover in Friends Who Play section
- Added Steam Deck compatibility options to dynamic collections
- Fixed failing to backup/restore game files on user change or app-compatibility change in some cases where the game file location and the Steam backup location are on different volumes
- Fixed case when a local file timestamp changes, but the file itself is unmodified, so that we don’t create a file conflict unnecessarily
- Fixed condition causing unknown file timestamps in Cloud Conflict dialog, and fixed the dialog to display “Unknown” in any remaining cases where the timestamp isn’t available
- Fixed sync error for games which have converted Cloud-saved files into directories
- Fixed Cloud sync for some games with slightly malformed cross-platform Steam Cloud sync settings
- Fixed to no longer leave game saves in place from previous Steam users for most games that use the AutoCloud feature. This behavior was considered the safest path, however it gave the appearance that game files were getting shared/colliding between Steam accounts. Now, those files will be moved (instead of copied) to the safe local backup location Steam uses when the account changes.
- Fixed corruption on some Vulkan applications on Intel Xe GPUs
- Open the on-screen keyboard if the game calls the ShowGamepadTextInput() Steamworks API while streaming to Steam Deck
- Fixed a bug causing servers using FakeIP to not be listed in the server browser
- Fixed a bug which could cause poor performance and asserts if packet loss was extremely high
- Fixed cases where install preallocation would create larger files than necessary
- Fixed an issue where updating graphics drivers would re-download media pre-caching files
- Fixed the file picker extension filters not appearing when selecting Library custom art
- Fixed adding non-Steam shortcuts with spaces in the path
- Added home and mounted drive paths to the file picker quick bar
- Added the ability for the file picker to remember the previous location when selecting Library custom art