0.0 hrs last two weeks / 7.6 hrs on record (5.0 hrs at review time)
Posted: May 1 @ 1:29pm

Ancient Lands: The Tsar Awakening is a turn-based strategy game with card battles. The card battle system is nice and easy to get into. The difficulty is still there, so be aware of that, because this game can get quite challenging.

The game gives a short tutorial in the beginning that is easy to understand. It saves automatically after each level, and there are no manual saving options. It's slightly confusing in that the game does not say to continue, but rather to start each time. Once you get used to it, it's fine.

The game started in Russian for me, so that was a bit unexpected. The story will unfold through the levels as you advance.

At the beginning of each level, you can look at the goals and objectives needed to complete the particular level.

You will controls only 1 character at the very beginning, but soon 2 more will be added to your party.

Game Mechanics
The game mechanics are fairly simple, as you are limited in your turn by the number of action points (AP). These are used for moving or attacking. You can attack or move multiple times per turn, as long as you have adequate remaining AP. You will be attacking with one of your cards, and they have differing costs. You will get one new card at the beginning of the turn.

The enemies have limited action points as well, as expected. A good strategy in the beginning that worked for me was to attack and move away, so that the enemies need to spend some points to get to you before they attack.

After each stage, your health will be fully restored. If your party is wiped out, you can retry that same level.

The menu screen is where you can buy new card packs with the coins that you gain after each level. You can also build up your deck, up to a maximum of 12 cards. In addition, you can sell cards you don't need.

The game can be fully played with a mouse.

The graphics are fairly well made. I think they are cute and I like them. The texts are easy to read.

Music
Standard music, nothing too exciting. It fits the game well.

Base price is 12,49 Euro/14.99 USD, this is reasonable for the game that you are getting.

Positives
+Good and small tutorial to get you started
+Good for casual players with good increasing difficulty
+Cute graphics
+Has achievements

Negatives
-No intro story
-No manual saves
-From what I have seen, some levels are a bit too difficult

Conclusion
Ancient Lands: The Tsar Awakening is a cute indie title to add to your collection, especially if you enjoy turn-based strategy games and card-based combat. The game offers plenty of gameplay and will give most players quite a challenge as well. I would rate it 8/10.