Recent reviews by JubalTheLion

Update: So they removed the microtransactions. It sucks that they had them in the first place, but hey, there you go.
Posted October 18, 2015. Last edited May 31, 2016.
tl;dr: Interesting and depressing depiction of the issues plaguing Africa in strategy game form. Short and ocassionally frustrating/unsatisfying, but if you want strategy game with mechanics based on social commentary, consider checking this out.

I think I see what they're trying to do, and it is quite admirable. It's a simple little strategy/resource management game in which you try to lead a non-specific African nation to "victory" (as in, clear the scenario with the highest score). You have several presidents, including the corrupt elite, the military dictator, the Nelson Mandela-esque character, and so on, each of which has a different bonus condition and a different benefit for achieving it, which grants at least the appearance of replayability.

Each turn, you have to move your engineers and armies around, dealing with events and crises as they come up. An in-game news feed will hint at the larger events that you'll have to deal with, but you'll usually have to deal with things as they come (although repeated playthroughs reveal a certain consistency with events).

If I am correct, the thing that distinguishes PFAD: C is how it tries to convey the really crappy situation that many African nations have had to deal with in modern times through its game mechanics. For example, foreign powers are the absolute worst. Seriously. !@#$ the West.

In many respects, this frustration is a good thing. However, the game doesn't quite click in the way you'd hope something that dealt with this subject matter would. It's also quite short, with four scenarios, and it might not hold your interest long enough to figure out how to "beat" them all with the best outcome.

While I'm definitely mixed on the execution, it is interesting enough to warrant a recommendation in my eyes. It might not satisfy, but if you approach it with an awareness of the subject matter, it might actually get you thinking in ways you wouldn't otherwise expect.
Posted August 29, 2015. Last edited August 29, 2015.
With so many back of the box mechanics, how on earth could I possibly not recommend this game? Dinosaurs! Jetpacks! Mechs! Character progression! What more could you want?

Well, as it turns out, quite a bit.

From my mere hour impression of the game (and it might come alive later, I wouldn't know) the game feels like an absolute mess. Sure, they've crammed a ton of stuff into here. But I couldn't make out a *game* anywhere. It's hard to explain, but I just couldn't get a sense of what I was supposed to do, let alone why. I couldn't get any traction in this game, I coulnd't make any sense of it. Shooting, movement, everything feels loose and just *meh*. so there weren't any moments that felt satisfying.

I can't even try to comment on visuals, ripped off mechanics, or anything like that. I was just too frickin bored to even bother with anything beyond these meager first impressions.

If you can get it on sale, you're sure to get your money's worth. But if you buying games to actually play them and not just for the sake of buying them, at least wait for another free weekend so you can try before you buy.
Posted June 21, 2014. Last edited June 21, 2014.