Posted: Nov 20, 2016 @ 4:25am

While the game released in early February 2016, I decided to wait to write my review until the rescaled map and a 4th truck were added to the game. Here we are, 9 months later, and I've got some things to say...

This game is not for everyone, but for people who enjoy relaxing trips through the open roads of the United States, while hauling cargo from point A to point B. The graphics aren't what you would find in most modern games, but that's not exactly the point. In American Truck Simulator, you are tasked with delivering cargo through California, Nevada, and Arizona (other states to come later), while following the laws of American roadways.

It's a simulation game, so while some may find it completely boring and not at all entertaining, others find it calming yet fun. Trucks can be slow or quick, depending on the model, engine, parts, and trailer/cargo. American Truck Simulator (like Euro Truck Simulator 2) supports keyboard/mouse, various controllers (I've tested Xbox 360 and Xbox One, both of which worked), steering wheels (such as the popular Logitech G27), head-tracking devices (such as TrackIR), and even virtual reality headsets (such as the Oculus Rift).

No, there's no official multiplayer, but the popular modification TruckersMP allows you to truck around with friends, showing off your different taste in trucks, paint jobs, liveries, and even wheels.

PROS:
- Great variety of cargo to haul
- 3 states (California, Nevada, Arizona) with more to come in future DLC's
- Map that has been scaled to ensure long hauls feel long
- 4 awesome trucks (Kenworth T680 & W900, Peterbilt 579 & 389)
- Great customization options for all trucks
- Support for many input devices
- Support for third-party modifications
- Support for Steam Workshop content

CONS:
- No official multiplayer (check out TruckersMP)
- Slow production

OVERALL RATING: 8/10