Recent reviews by VarietyGamer

I played through the tutorial section taking it slow. Geforce 1070, two settings down to very high, rest on ultra, at 1440p, locked to 30. Playing with xbox controller on tv.

One can see how much passion was put into this game by the devs and how much they care about how much you care. Where you see them stubble is when you run into bugs, thankfully almost all of them are very minor visual things, like characters clipping, weird positions when talking to NPC's, and temporarily getting stuck in corridors due to NPC's. Performance wise you might see fps drops in town on ultra, or at night with lots of torches around.

Nothing a patch can't address. On reddit I've seen some hilarious bugs, of flying ninja guards and other antics. I hope I can experience one of these before they fix them.

In terms of stability, not a single crash, and this delighted me. I was recording/minimizing the screen throughout. Game kept gaming on.

As for the gameplay itself, I love the careful, chess like combat. It is very rewarding to best a better equipped foe. Usually you can just ignore combat completelly, sneak up behind a well armed knight and choke him out, then steal his armor. That said you can't use it properly at low level, so I just sell it for cash. The concept of engaging multiple foes at once should be something you abandon in this game, two maybe, 3 or more and running becomes its own harrowing battle. I like the possibility of danger from regular bandits in an rpg for once.

The tutorial story progressed nicely, I eventually ended up where I was supposed to, I did not get lost, quests did not bug out etc. I look forward to continuing the adventure because compared to something like Skyrim, the world is much more detailed, the NPC's much more interesting and everything seems hand placed. I'm sure I've only scratched the surface in terms of mechanics. The story itself is quite gripping, dialogue options are varied and interesting. The main character is derpy and clueless to start with, but in an endearing way and his personality grows as you progress. The most hilarious thing in my 3 hours thus far has been trying to lie to a noblewoman and failing. The look on her face was priceless when Henry's childish tall-tale fell flat.

Biggest peeve for most would be the save system. Despite having 5 savior shnnaps I did not use a single one, I just relied on the autosaves and eventually, sleeping at an inn before ending my play session. I've learned that you can craft save potions, and do so cheaply, and somebody has already created a save anywhere mod. So if you're gaming here on PC, you're covered.

I am not bothered by the save system as it is, save scumming ruined many a playthrough of skyrim and oblivion for me. I prefer being careful in regards to encounters now, rather than not caring and feeling 100% safe 100% of the time. If you don't have your save potion, and aren't properly equipped and prepared, be afraid of venturing into enemy camps, be very afraid.

With bugs and all : 8/10, awesome euro jank RPG. Skyrim for grown ups :P

Once polished and tweaked a little : 10/10 must play rpg, cult classic, etc.

Don't go in expecting just another straight forward bethesda-esque fantasy action rpg. Think more along the lines of morrowing/oblivion/witcher 3/witcher 2/mount and blade/gothic all mashed into one glorious mess that works 90% of the time.

Posted February 13.
Very well made survival game, made especially unique and immersive thanks to the sound design.

Too bad the person responsible for the soundtrack was fired today for expressing their non-controversial, perfectly legal anti-left political stance on twitter; after a campaign to fire sound designer by resetEra, the radiactive forum peopled by ex-gaf harpies and child molesters to whom the lead dev of Subnautica then apologized because one of his employees engaged in wrong-think.

These devs don't deserve your money. They run with a disgusting clique.
Posted February 5.
I had to draw the line somewhere. The game itself is great, much of the DLC makes it even better. But I can't justify comitting to this purchase for anyone, the milking is real. Paradox has a terrible expansion/DLC policy, aka overpriced, for mechanics and features that are accessible via mods for free. This is unethical or something. Don't partake.
Posted June 20, 2017.
I know I only have 2.2 hours of playtime, but that's because it was enough to realise this is the greatest rollercoaster/theme park sim ever conceived.
Posted November 17, 2016.
Breathtaking application that doesn't get old. THIS is what VR is tailor mode for. 11/10.
Posted November 16, 2016.
It is 'basically' Bunny Mario Maker lite (fewer block types and tilesets as of now) with some blatant similarities...he he he.

For $4, why not. Quick, while Nintendo isn't looking!
Posted September 21, 2016.
No mouse in menu, kill it with fire.

Posted August 28, 2016.
You're better off eating ♥♥♥♥.
Posted July 4, 2016.
Been waging ww2 since hearts of iron 1.

This one is slick, the foundation is solid. But as always on launch the standard paradox formula is here;

AI is broken. Needs patches, needs more content, needs to be finished.

Expect to have paid ~$100+ by the time this surpasses hoi3. WW2 as a service, starts off ♥♥♥♥♥♥ but becomes great.

Why do I keep getting these paradox service platforms on launch? Because I'm a moron. Don't be morons too kids. Wait a year or two, wait for steam sale to pick up the game with all 50 upcoming DLC packs for a normal price.
Posted June 25, 2016.
This + Vive = Mind blown, gone supernova.

And to think it is still only in early access. Sweet baby Jesus.
Posted May 20, 2016.