Recent reviews by Uglzorp

< 1  2  3 ... 16 >
Breathedge is a story-driven survival crafting game with a couple of unique twists: it takes place in space and has a lot of humor. The first part is executed pretty well. There's something really tranquil about floating around in space, searching through debris and looking for blueprints and resources. The early game is pretty annoying, as it is in most survival crafting games, because you're constantly on the verge of running out of oxygen and you float really slowly through space. This makes exploring a bit of a chore. However, as you craft new equipment, your ability to explore is greatly enhanced and the game becomes much more enjoyable.

The humor, on the other hand, mostly falls flat. It's conveyed primarily through collectibles and your sarcastic suit AI. There's a lot of self-deprecating humor, in addition to pop culture and videogame references. Unfortunately, most of it just isn't funny. There are a few moments that will make you chuckle but they're far and few between.

The game's biggest failing is the late game. Exploration and crafting take a backseat to linear corridor crawls and poorly executed combat sequences. It quickly becomes a drag and makes most of what you crafted earlier redundant. It might have felt more engaging if I cared about the story or lore but the game doesn't really give you any reason to invest in either of those because it all feels so random and irreverent.

I give Breathedge a tentative recommendation because it's really enjoyable when it's at its best. It's just that this only happens in the midgame after you've slogged through an annoying early game. The endgame is basically skippable unless you really care about the story and that's very unlikely. If exploration and discovery are your priorities, you'll find some fun in Breathedge. If story and writing are your priority, you're better off elsewhere.
Posted September 4.
Psychonauts 2 is the sequel nobody thought would ever happen. Luckily it did and it's pretty great! It offers the same mix of platforming, exploration and combat found in the first game, only with much more polish. Mechanically, the game is much more refined when it comes to both traversal and combat. Everything feels nice and fluid. That said, the main attractions of the game are undoubtedly the crazy levels. There's a ton of variety, not just terms of settings and themes but also visual styles. It's incredibly refreshing in an age of open-world games that use the same assets repeatedly to pad out their world. Double FIne's creativity is still shining bright after all these years and it's a joy to experience. The writing is also great, with well-developed characters and a surprisingly engaging story. There's plenty of humor too, though it's more of the "quirky and charming" variety than the "laugh out loud" kind.

Psychonauts 2 is a unique gem that's well worth your money. We need more games like this.
Posted September 2.
The Forgotten City is an interesting time-loop adventure game, though it ultimately feels a bit shallow. I was expecting really fleshed out NPCs with elaborate routines and scripting but most of the NPCs just stand around in one place. Maybe I've been spoiled by the recent Hitman games but for a game that revolves around this small set of characters, The Forgotten City feels a bit undercooked. The same applies to the overall challenge of the game, from both a cerebral and moral standpoint. At no point did I ever feel clever because the solutions were always super obvious and I never had to make any difficult choices. I was able to finish the game and achieve the perfect ending with very little effort.

Ultimately, The Forgotten City is just a little too straightforward for its own good. It has a cool concept and the writing is pretty solid. It just never challenged me in the way I'd expect a time loop to. I enjoyed my time with it and would recommend it at a discount but if you're expecting a mind-bending experience, you'll likely be disappointed.
Posted August 4.
Subnautica: Below Zero is a tricky game to review. The original game was really driven by its strong exploration and sense of discovery. The sequel/spin-off is very much the same. However, if you played the first game, the sense of discovery you'll get from Below Zero will be greatly diminished. Many things have been carried over from the first game: flora, fauna, structures, equipment, resources, consumables, vehicles, etc. That's not to say there isn't any new content. There's plenty. It's just that it all feels very familiar. The first game surprised me in a lot of ways but Below Zero did not and without that sense of discovery, the overall experience felt less memorable.

Ultimately, your enjoyment of Below Zero will vary based on whether or not you played the first game. Even if you have, Below Zero is still an enjoyable game. It will just be less exciting when you're already familiar with so much of the series' content and structure. I guess that's one of the downfalls of making a sequel to a game that relied so heavily on discovery.
Posted July 25.
If you're expecting The Outer Worlds to be New Vegas 2, you'll probably be disappointed. Where NV was about scope and ambition at the expense of polish, TOW is the opposite. It has hubs instead of an open-world, there are fewer quests, fewer POIs, fewer weapons, fewer armor types, fewer enemy types. What's there is good but you'll feel like you've seen everything there is to see before the late game. TOW has everything you'd expect from an Obsidian RPG: good writing, interesting companions and quests, etc. However, it's all bit forgettable and that's largely due to balancing issues.

Simply put, TOW is way too easy. On the highest difficulty and with zero points invested in combat-related skills or attributes, I was one-shotting most enemies and passing every skill check that came my way. I never needed to mix up my combat tactics or make any difficult decisions. The root of the issue is that there are too many ways to boost your stats. Almost every piece of armor gives you a stat boost. There are about 50 consumables that give you stat boosts. Your companions give you stat boosts. If at any point you can't pass a skill check, just switch your loadout or use a consumable. You can kill every enemy, pick every lock, hack every computer and persuade every NPC you come across. Resource management isn't a concern either. You can't walk ten meters without tripping over a loot container so you'll never be low on anything. The end result is that the game tapers off pretty quickly once you reach the halfway point because you just aren't being challenged in any way. The strategies you use at the start of the game are just as effective at the end of the game.

I'm still giving TOW a positive review because overall, I enjoyed most of my time with it. It's a solid, modern Fallout-style RPG. I just hope that TOW2 will be a bit more ambitious and have more faith in its players' abilities.

FYI: My Steam playtime only covers the DLC, as I finished the base game on Game Pass.
Posted July 3. Last edited July 3.
RE: Village gets a tentative recommendation from me. If you prefer action over horror, you'll like it more than I did. I much preferred RE7. It was a lot scarier and felt like genuine survival horror. RE:Village feels like that at first, though it quickly loses that as you become powerful and enemies become trivial to deal with. Leaning into the action really exacerbates Village's weaknesses as an FPS, especially with boss fights. Most of the bosses are just big annoying bullet sponges with slow attacks and obvious weak spots. Dodge the attack, shoot the weak spot. Rinse and repeat until the boss eventually dies. The boss fights in RE7 were far more varied and interesting.

Boss fights aside, Village is mostly enjoyable. The environments are fun to explore and there are lots of secrets to find. On Hardcore difficulty, the early game is pretty tense and requires a lot of careful resource management. There's one really great horror segment that feels unique. I just wish there was more than one. The story is decent enough, though the characters didn't have as much depth as they did in RE7.

I enjoyed Village enough to complete it so that warrants at least a 7/10. That said, I'm worried that Capcom is repeating history and steering the series towards action again. AAA action games are a dime a dozen, AAA survival horror games are not, so I really hope that Capcom moves back towards horror with the next entry.
Posted May 28.
Rise of the Argonauts was a surprisingly decent, Bioware-style action RPG. It was basically Mass Effect with Greek heroes and a lower budget. Nothing revolutionary but the combat was fun and the writing was solid. I'm not sure how well it holds up today but it routinely goes on sale for $2.50 so it's worth a look if you like the setting.
Posted March 15.
TWD: The Final Season is basically mandatory if you played and enjoyed the previous seasons. It provides good closure to Clementine's story arc and is a big step up in terms of presentation. It also makes some advances in gameplay. There are sections where you control Clementine from an over-the-shoulder perspective and can actually look around like in a proper third-person game. There are also situations where player skill actually matters, like precisely aiming your shots or choosing the optimal way to take down groups of walkers. That said, the majority of gameplay still consists of QTEs and holding a directional input so don't get too excited. This is still very much a Telltale game, for better and for worse.

TFS is completely story-driven so I won't spoil any details. The writing is mostly good, though there are a few logic holes. The focus of the narrative is A.J. who is basically Clementine 2.0. Your choices mold him over the course of the season and theoretically affect his behavior and decisions, though I doubt they really matter all that much in reality. Choice and consequence has always been pretty superficial in Telltale games but decisions at least feel significant in the moment. The writing is strong enough to make you care about the characters and that's the most important part of the series.

It's a shame Telltale closed down because TFS showed that they were finally starting to evolve their formula. It would have been interesting to see what they would have made next. In any case, the final season of TWD is a fitting send off for both the studio and the series. If you like Telltale games and want to see how Clementine's story ends, TFS will make you very happy.
Posted October 31, 2020.
Amnesia: Rebirth is a worthy successor to the game that popularized the first-person horror genre. It has a larger scope than any of Frictional's previous games and offers quite a few spectacles. Mechanically, the game is basically the same as The Dark Descent and SOMA. There's a good mix of exploration, puzzle-solving, stealth and scripted chase sequences. That said, the formula is starting to become a bit predictable and I was hoping that Frictional would have evolved the gameplay a bit more by now. However, what's there offers enough variety to keep things interesting and support the main appeal of the game: the story. The writing will be the main draw for most players and Rebirth delivers there. It really fleshes out the lore hinted at by the original game and takes a lot of unexpected twists and turns. Overall, the themes explored aren't quite as poignant as in SOMA and likely won't stick with you after you're finished but they're pretty interesting nonetheless.

If you enjoyed Frictional's other games, you'll very likely enjoy Rebirth as well. It doesn't really evolve the formula in any way but still provides a gripping, story-driven horror experience. From a narrative standpoint, it does some things that I've never seen in games before but I won't ruin the surprise.
Posted October 25, 2020.
Control is Remedy's best game since Max Payne 2. Alan Wake had great atmosphere but the gameplay was pretty underwhelming and Quantum Break was mediocre in almost every regard. Control, on the other hand, is mostly good, though it does have some issues.

Control's greatest strength is probably its gameplay. Remedy learned from their mistakes with Quantum Break and made sure that tight controls took priority over realistic animation this time. As a result, controlling Jesse is a breeze and you'll have no problems running, jumping, dashing and floating around the expansive environments. Combat is also a lot of fun thanks to your powers. Picking up random objects and throwing them at people was the best part of HL2 and the same is true here. You also have a few other powers, though none are quite as gratifying as telekinesis. The environments are highly destructible too, further reinforcing the telekinetic power fantasy. Gunplay is decent though largely relegated to enemies you can't hit with telekinesis. In terms of level design, Control adopts the Metroidvania approach and gives you a large, complex environment that gradually opens up as you gain more powers and key cards. However, the map doesn't mark any inaccessible areas which is pretty annoying. You'll likely forget about many of them by the time you have the means to access them.

Control's biggest flaws are the poorly implemented GaaS elements (likely thrown in to satisfy the publisher). On a pretty regular basis, a procedural mission will pop up (with an annoying alarm sound) and you have a certain amount of time to complete it. However, these missions generally appear while you're in the middle of another mission so you end up ignoring them. Also, because they're procedural, they don't have any narrative context and feel pretty generic. Then there's the loot system which takes the form of weapon and ability mods. I didn't mind these in theory, as they give you a way to specialize. However, you have limited inventory space and constantly have to disassemble mods to free up more. It really hurts the flow of the game and will be a big turn-off to a lot of players. Then there's the Expeditions DLC which is basically a gear (or in this case, mod) grind where you have to complete a bunch of objectives within a time limit while also suffering from a significant debuff. It's not particularly interesting and the time limit makes it pretty annoying.

If you like throwing things at people, Control is an easy recommendation.
Posted September 21, 2020.
< 1  2  3 ... 16 >