Posted: Sep 29, 2015 @ 7:57pm

This game... is a headache.

It's almost like several people wrote different plots, then someone strung them all together at the last minute and said, "eh, nobody will notice it doesn't make sense." What's left is... well, if you are trying to come up with what's actually going on while playing the game, odds are good that whatever you suspect is going on will be hella more interesting than the actual "story." The ending is awful, and I don't mind games that end badly when there's good reason to, but this ending was truly stupid.

This game claims to be horror but at best it is maybe cyberpunk or sci-fi. There is some decent use of creepy atmosphere and music but it all gets ruined by how lazy the rest of the game is. Jump scares are cheap but this game doesn't seem to care, and as a "bonus" they are badly-scripted. A lot of events are triggered poorly, sometimes only in part until you walk over the other magical spot of floor to trigger the rest.

I played the game at the same time as a friend over Skype, working together via voice chat on completely different platforms to get through the game... one jump scare specifically, I was very close to it when it popped, she never saw anything at all, and later I watched Cry LP it on Youtube and it popped when he was so far back, it was clear the jump scare had two stages (the second of which I never saw because it would have been behind me). I also apparently completely failed to trigger one towards the end of the game, one that my friend saw quite clearly and had audio too; we were following the same routes through rooms.

Lots and lots of padding, mostly creeping through long corridors past monsters and not really doing much else, especially later on in the game. I could keep whining, but let's face it... I wanted it to be a much better game. I expected it to be at least good, coming from Frictional Games. On the plus side, I didn't pay for it, another friend gifted it to me on Steam... I just feel bad that she paid for it now.

Oh, and the fanbase is unbelievably starry-eyed. This game is not good. Get over it. It's too easy, poorly written and scripted, and has gaping plot holes. It's glitchy and buggy, to the point that both I and my friend had to redo areas, and she even fell through the world while trying to hide in a corner (which you do a LOT in this game). Companies like EA must be thrilled that games like this one and Until Dawn are getting rave reviews. There's a movie called Idiocracy... if you haven't seen it, don't worry. We're pretty much there now.
Abion47 Mar 3 @ 12:27pm
SOMA is a game that is trying to make the player ask questions that don't really have any right answers. An extremely common occurrance of people who play the game is that the philosophical quandaries that it presents stick with them for years afterward. But another commonality I see is that most people who don't like it are people who are trying to play it in a way that isn't meant to be played - either a true horror game or a puzzle-adventure game. SOMA is neither of those things. It's a game that demands to be played as an immersive experience. Either you can allow yourself to get immersed or you can't, and if you can't, then you were never going to enjoy this game in the first place.
Abion47 Mar 3 @ 12:27pm
You should take a look at how many hours I have in this game, scavenging snippets of information and forming theories that tie it all together. You can have your opinion of how the story was complete garbage all you want, and while I won't say your opinion is objectively wrong, I will say that you are of a staggering minority that feel this way. The story is not self-contradicting, it is open ended. The ending (both endings) are extremely powerful in the message it leaves the player with. Much of the back and side stories are told in such a way that it leaves the player making their own assumptions over what happened or will happen, and that's the entire point.
Cakefiend Mar 3 @ 11:53am
One thing I did not make clear in this review (because I was so disgusted by the time I wrote it) was that I wanted to like this game! But by the horrifically disappointing ending, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Out of a vain attempt to salvage the game, I replayed it. You may notice I have much more than a standard run worth of hours played.

I scoured every nook and cranny for something, ANYTHING to redeem the game, the story, the garbage characters. I even took copious notes in a notebook! By the time I was done... it only made things 100 times worse. The game doesn't stand up to scrutiny in the least.

So if you think I didn't "get" it, I'm not sure what's left. Sure, some details in the game could be excused with "so-and-so only TOLD you this, it doesn't make it true"... but when you have to apply that to every shred of every note left behind just so the story doesn't contradict itself, well... you've got nothing.
Abion47 Mar 3 @ 9:36am
I mean, what can I really say? You're in the minority for hating SOMA too. So there's clearly something you're not getting. And maybe not just regarding SOMA either.
Cakefiend Mar 2 @ 11:23pm
I liked Gone Home. Also, after actually playing Amnesia for myself, that game hasn't aged well at all. The only thing I can think now is that it was better watched as an LP than actually played. Point is, Soma is a bad game, in a slew of frustrating releases like Until Dawn, but then I'm also in the minority for hating that game. There is nothing to "get" from Soma besides that the writers themselves had no idea what they were doing, and handed the mess that was left to the player hoping he/she wouldn't notice. *golf clap*
Abion47 Mar 2 @ 7:51am
It really comes down to the fact that you just didn't get it. You tried to play the game like a horror game, but it's not a horror game. At least, not the same kind of horror game as Amnesia. You put way too much emphasis on the parts of the game that you expected to scare you and completely missed the point.

You strike me as the kind of person who would've bashed Gone Home for not being scary enough.