Recent reviews by tfcportista

< 1  2  3 >
Fantastic art and music. Extremely polished game, you can tell how much work was done here.

Even better is that the game itself is fantastic and challenging. It's a boss rush game (mostly, there are a handful of platform and shoot em up levels) that will challenge you and all very unique.
Posted May 5.
I found the puzzles fun and creative, where you need to actually hurt yourself at times to overcome obstacles.

I found how they told the story and how they tried to send a positive message very well done and effective. The way they did it was more effective compared to other PC storyline games.

There are a few minor problems. There are frame rate drops. I would drop down to 30 at times for a few seconds.

Also, they should tell you how many collectibles are in each chapter. After I finished the game, I had 1 collectible left, but I had no idea which chapter, so I had to do a lot of searching just to find it. Minor thing, but it would be nice to add.
Posted May 5.
It is NOT a bad game. If I could give it a average rating, I would. But it isn't a game that I would go out of my way to recommend to someone.

It has nice graphics and level design. It plays pretty much like the old castlevenia nes games, but this is where the game fails. It plays EXACTLY like the old nes games. What a lot of new "retro" games like Shovel knight, hyper light drifter etc do, is they make "retro" games the way our nostalgic minds remember them, while removing annoying perks of those old games. This game stayed to close to the roots that it kept the bad parts of the nes games

For one, jumping is awful. It has "committed jumping". You are not able to change direction once you're in the air. You have to make sure that you press the direction you want to jump first, then press the jump button. You also have to know the arc of their jump. This is problematic, as one character in particular jumps much higher than the others and it's hard to grasp the arc. There are times when I over or under jumped a platform, which was frustrating because I can see it happening but I'm not able to change direction midair. This really becomes a problem in the final level.

The other is the randomized items. Why do this? Why play on luck which weapon gets to appear? Why design it in a way where u can accidentally pick up a weapon that you don't want and can't reverse the mistake?

Some bosses don't change their pattern during a fight. Sometimes in games like this, when you fight a boss, about halfway through he'll do something different. Not really the case for most of them in this game sadly. Once you know the pattern, that's it, it says like that the whole fight and becomes pretty easy. Heck some of the skill/items in this game can make your way op and basically walkthrough these bosses.

These things may sound all nostalgic, but if you remove them, the game would be better imo.

Again, not a bad game. But I wouldn't go in with high expectations or counting on it to be one of your absolute favourites in the near future.
Posted November 11, 2018. Last edited January 15.
Owlboy plays in a somewhat similar style to the old zelda games where there's an open world and you need to complete "dungeons" to advance. I see many people call this a metroidvania, but there's a clear difference between zelda and metroidvania, and this most definitely play as a Zelda title.

It has great level design, challenge, characters, and fantastic artwork/music to go alongside with it. If you enjoy those older zelda games, you'll enjoy this.
Posted October 31, 2018. Last edited October 31, 2018.
Pros:
+Graphic design and music
+Setting
+Challenging
+Each character differentiates from each other and offers their own unique gameplay
+Level designs and objectives gives you different options on how to approach the mission. Not at all linear and encourages more playthroughs.
+ Medals are there to add extra challenges.

Cons:
-Hit a bug once or twice that forced me to go back to main menu and load up the save file again ( just loading the save file didn't seem to work, I would have to go to main menu first ) It would work after that however.
-Music would stop halfway through a level. I don't know if this is a bug or a design choice. But it did kinda suck when it happened. Rarely happened though.

Summary: A really fun challenging stealthy game that lets you decide how to play. Hours can be spent on this game just on the campaign alone. The medals and other achievements adds onto the replayability. You can tell the developers put a lot of work into this.
Posted July 21, 2018.
Pros:

+Graphics and design
+Battle system
+No grinding
+You can explore to new areas after finishing the game.

Cons:

-On the easy side. Didn't wipeout once.
-Didn't find the backstory to interesting
-Dialogue was average and immature at times.
-Rehashed annoying formulas like falling through a hole ( a lot ) and the same puzzle over and over.
-Music wasn't to memorable. One of them gave me a headache.
-Doesn't feel fully polished.
-No real indication of who goes first in a battle. Some of my characters have higher speed, but sometimes don't go ahead of slower teammates.
-Slow paced cutscenes.

Summary: I feel conflicted, if given the opportunity, I would give this a average rating. Its not BAD game, but it doesn't really excel. In the end it just made me appreciate the old school games more.
The game does a decent job capturing the old style jrpg games. The graphics and battle system are on point, and no grinding? FANTASTIC, I hate grinding. Sadly, outside of the battle you start to see how unpolished the game really is (Can't move diagonal, mouse cursor has to be moved, There are save points.. Even though you can save anytime you want.etc ) and questionable game designs like repetitive puzzles and falling through the floor that you can't see ( no, falling down a million times and climbing up the stairs again isn't fun )
Posted July 13, 2018.
Pros:

+ Soundtrack
+ Setting
+ Fast paced gameplay
+ Talent trees to suit your style
+ Replay value
+ Good story and likeable characters

Cons:

- Mouse and keyboard control aren't so great imo. I recommend a controller.
- Some might find it repetitive

Summary: Fast pace overhead shooter/melee game in a great setting that encourages different style of play and also offers other modes for more repeatability.

Suggestion: When I first started the game, it was extremely dark, although the lighting effects look awesome, it does become hard to play through since I keep bumping into walls or can't even see enemies. I suggest turning the brightness up on the first playthrough.
Posted July 13, 2018.
Pros:

+Great setting
+Great character designs
+Online multiplayer
+Faster paced matches

Cons:

-No micromanagement
-If you pick the wrong early units early on, the short matches leave you very little time to fix that.
-No real difference in factions
-Campaign not so great with the random maps and missions.

Summary:

THIS IS ADVERTISED AS A RTS GAME, BUT HONESTLY PLAYS MORE LIKE A TOWER DEFENCE GAME.

There was so much potential. The world and character design are fantastic, but the game fails short on the gameplay. I know this was designed as a simplified rts, I enjoy rts but I'm not very good at the genre, so this game sounded right up my ally. Unfortunately, with no micromanagement, you really start to see how rts games suffer without that element. Completely changes the core game and made it feel more like a tower defence game other than a rts game.
Posted July 13, 2018. Last edited July 13, 2018.
Pros:

+Nice design
+Good idea, in theory...

Cons:

-Feels like a lot of handholding
-Extremely linear, almost more of a visual novel.
-I don't feel your decisions make a big enough impact in the end of the game.
-Saw the ending a mile away.

Summary: Its a visual novel that almost basically tells you what decisions to make. Whatever you pick, the end result doesn't change much. Can't recommend.
Posted July 13, 2018. Last edited July 13, 2018.
One of my personal favourites. Recommend playing it.
Posted October 30, 2017.