Recent reviews by shitbeard

< 1  2  3 ... 8 >
This game was good, but then they went cross platform with console toddlers.
Posted September 8.

This meme sums up my feelings about this game. "But the war stories are single player!!!!" Yes, but each campaign is lazy as ♥♥♥♥. They are all "here's an open world, here's three objectives, tick boxes, roll credits."
Posted September 3.
This game is a buggy mess. Frequent crashes, and a game breaking bug which requires you to launch with a controller connected in big picture mode and without a certain upgrade unlocked and enabled in order to complete the story.
Posted August 4.
Best gun game in VR, with a bit of a learning curve to the interface
Posted July 29.
Don't get me wrong: I like this game. It's just extremely unfair to newer players.

Scavengers is a bit like a team based battle-royale, where teams will deploy into a map and must collect the most of a particular resource while fighting NPCs and rarely other players. Each round, a player picks from 7 playable characters with different special abilities and special craftable weapons. As the game progresses, players can find rarer (read: stronger) weapons, or craft better shields or weapons. This is where the problem comes into play.

Outside of the primary gameplay loop, is a research system. Using materials awarded to you from winning games, you can research more powerful equipment to be used in game, but this requires you to keep winning and getting higher levels. Newer players will find it difficult to survive against existing players because as the game progresses, players are forced into a tighter play area, where they will likely encounter one another and fight it out to win. This comes to a head with the final 5 minutes of a game where all players are tasked with making it onto a single dropship in the center of the map. Death is almost certain for newer or more unfortunate players at this time.

This game of course is still in Early Access at the time of writing. They've only been in early access for about a week or two. The game balance is heaps out of whack. At this time, there's no decent mid range option unless you pick one specific playable character and use his signature weapon, Long Range is dominated by two playable characters and their signature weapons, short range is usually dominated by one particular character and their ability, and the TTK is high enough that you feel you can turn things around if you are jumped, but this is a problem when you spend all your loaded ammo on taking out one or two players, only for the third to secretly be a Halden and for them to press Q over their team mates to resurrect them instantly instead of the several seconds it takes to manually resurrect somebody.

This game needs a lot of work before its fun to play. I feel I have to constantly grind the game in order to remain relevant in a match, or rely on godly RNG to save my skin.
Posted May 2.
You got 3 options in this game.

1: Pick a default avatar, get ignored by 90% of the community, jump from world to world until your headset dies and uninstall.
2: Pick a weeb avatar, it will almost always be some waifu bait with massive badonkers. You will have your personal space violated by a horny teen who doesn't or wont understand the word "no". Get groped for a while as you hop worlds and eventually uninstall.
3: Pick a furry avatar. For some reason they always have the most quality content on them and are the most cross platform compatible while still being more complex than a 2d sprite. Now you'll be harassed by pre-teens that think its funny to go around screaming "all furries must be exterminated" or some other edgy crap while wearing either a monstrously large avatar or an SCP avatar, or by furries looking to ERP with you. Get sick of it either way, uninstall.

In the end, the fastest route you have it to uninstall. It's a great concept for a game, but others have executed it better and with better performance too.
Posted April 14.
What can I say about this game?

I know. It's hot garbage. Frequent crashes, EA's support team is nothing more than "hey post on the forums maybe someone else can help you" and terrible performance across the board. Plus they're married to that stupid star card crap that makes me vomit, any fun that could be had in this game is quickly patched out, looking at you space battles, it's a bloody mess and honestly I don't know what I expected when I downloaded it.
Posted February 5.
Why on gods green earth would you pick the source engine for a 3d desktop app?
Posted May 13, 2020.
Original review made about 2 days after launch: I did not enjoy the game, it felt rushed and overhyped. Did not recommend.

I had to remake this review because of the recent drama about Update 1. Incase you are literally blind and haven't seen the hundreds of other reviews rightfully bombing this game (you know, despite Steam actively "filtering" reviews for content moderation according to one of my friend's who's review was not posted and put in a pending state to be reviewed by moderators)... Update 1 includes a number of cool new features (that were teased pre-release) but one of these features was not asked for, not announced before, or even hinted at, and is easily a deal breaker for many people who may have purchased the game precisely because this wasn't a feature: DENUVO ANTI CHEAT.

You might be quick to go "oh, but denuvo was already in it". No, this isn't the DRM. This is a different thing. I'll briefly describe the anti-cheat as this: It's a hidden background always-online service with no tray icons, pop-ups, or splash screens, that automatically installs itself silently and is required even for single-player gameplay, that operates at RING-0 (Kernel level permissions). What this basically means is that users who have not proactively checked patch notes or kept up to date on what's being installed on their computer are blissfully unaware that this anti-cheat is operating in the background on their PC. This would be innocuous enough, if it weren't for the RING-0 part.

This anti-cheat practically has an all-access pass to everything on your computer. Without delving too deep into how protected memory works, i'll just say that normally the operating system or kernel will "hide" sections of memory from other applications with less permissions in order to prevent malicious applications from stealing data from other apps. This could include saved credit-card or password information in your web browser for your online banking, usernames and passwords for steam, and more. However, RING-0 applications can easily bypass this "hiding". The obvious argument for this is that the Anti-cheat will be able to detect any and all cheats on the machine, even if it tries to protect its memory or obfuscate the memory of DOOM Eternal. The argument against it is simply that we cannot truly trust that Denuvo's Anti-cheat is 100% free of vulnerabilities. Imagine if you will for a moment, that hackers find an exploit in the anti-cheat and manage to run their own code as the anti-cheat? These remote hackers would have complete and unfettered access to your computer, with no way of stopping them. Not even Microsoft would be able to stop them with a patch to Windows.

Now, I'm not saying there IS a vulnerability in Denuvo Anticheat. I am however saying that we can't say there isn't, as the only people who can say with any certainty are Denuvo themselves, and they obviously have a vested interest in saying there are no vulnerabilities.

The other argument people are presenting to this discussion is the fact that this anti-cheat was simply thrust upon the player base without warning and is now required to even launch the game, even for singleplayer. Why should the anti-cheat be forced upon us when playing single-player? Other games can switch on and off their anti-cheat for specific purposes. Look at Halo MCC: They use EAC, and there's a launch option to launch without the anti-cheat simply so you can play in private modded lobbies! VAC even lets you launch without it's anticheat, only denying you the ability to play on VAC secured servers. So why do we suddenly need it here now?

I'm not gonna get any further into this issue really. I personally feel this is really dumb of Bethesda/id to do and their implementation should have been more thoroughly thought through, but I get the vibe that the dev team was pressured to do this fast and on short notice. It wouldn't be the first time Bethesda has pulled a "do this yesterday or else" on a studio they publish for.

I would refund this game myself because of this addition. However, I received this game as a gift from my friend. So instead, here's my negative recommendation. I don't recommend you play this game on PC given the current circumstances. Should things change, consider it. It's a fun game, but overhyped and suffers from a case of "too many new ideas, not enough time to polish any of them or make them feel like they belonged in the game". Very little replayability.

EDIT: I've been made aware that it does not install silently. This does very little to change the fact that there's a piece of software running on your computer with complete unfettered access that you are just expected to trust blindly
Posted March 22, 2020. Last edited May 17, 2020.
What can I say? It's another lackluster early access game.
Complete with glitchy lobbies, barely any features or balancing, and too many glow sticks.

I don't like it.