Recent reviews by rwelean

I liked Life is Strange quite a bit and I think I liked Before the Storm even more. I love this game for the hilarious comments from Chloe about everyday objects, the way her rebellious backtalk becomes a superpower, and the carefully constructed personal spaces you can examine. I honestly would have enjoyed this game without all the drama about Rachel's mom--just a teenager slice-of-life is good enough for me! The 3rd episode was definitely the weakest, but it had some good snooping in it, so I was pretty happy.

Your choices don't affect the ending all that much, but they do affect what people say to you in the game while it's going on, which maybe is good enough for a game like this (it's not as big as Dragon Age or something, so I don't expect multiple fully-voiced endings, but I would like that). I also would like the ability to save when I want! It seemed like the autosave points were always right before cinematics, when it would make more sense to me to put them after the cinematic so you don't have to watch it again when you load. Maybe the developers made it that way so you'd have more context for playing if you had just come back to the game after not playing it for a few weeks? They should just have multiple save states so we can easily see more of the game's content without playing through the whole game again.
Posted March 6.
This was an interesting VN-horror game, but I think it was overhyped to me. I found some of the content disturbing, but not scary. Ultimately a non-dateable character is pulling the strings, and deletes the other characters' "data" to be alone with you. You can in turn delete her "data" to get to the end of the game. There is another ending you can get through save-scumming, but it doesn't really change what happens to the characters. I feel like Undertale did a much more interesting take on breaking the fourth wall. The art is amazing, especially for a free game.
Posted February 26.
This is a very cute VN based on the book A Little Princess. I don't normally go for yuri games but this one is focused on friendship, since the main characters are school-age (though there are some kisses). I love scheduling mechanics and this one has an interesting one where each action gives you one of three results. At first it was interesting, but then I felt frustrated because there wasn't a good way to strategize over decisions without save-scumming.

Scheduling and who you spend time with are the only decisions you make. I think I would have preferred fewer routes with more choices, but I also understand why the game is the way it is. My other complaint is that the headmistress wears her corset on the outside of her dress... definitely not historically accurate! The art was very polished and cute though, so I can't complain too much. The writing style was similar to the book (perhaps directly quoting at times?) and was a breath of fresh air after a lot of insipid VN writing. If you've read A Little Princess, you know that it really basks in the injustice of it all and has a sickly sweet ending. I loved it when I was a kid, but now it seems a little juvenile. Still a great diversion though!
Posted February 17.
This is a game where you find out about Laura by reading her texts and e-mails and other phone information. The way the "mystery" unfolded was gradual, but it didn't feel artificial. There was one code I had trouble with but other than that, most of the puzzles were difficult but doable (I got out my trusty pen and paper for a few!). It's obviously a port from a mobile game, but given that you're looking at a phone in-game, it makes sense to leave it like that. I actually had started writing a Twine game like this one, but this one was so well done that I don't think I'll finish mine!
Posted February 17.
I love many things about Night in the Woods. The game has a slice-of-life feel that lends itself well to character and relationship development. Mae has parents and they are adorable. Sometimes people say mean things to you, but it's in a completely believable way. I also thought it was fun to play as a character who takes some risks. I liked how girly characters weren't all "girly" in the way that most videogames portray women. I just assumed "normal" characters were guys but I was wrong several times! I need to play more games like this apparently! Also, I loved the microfiche scene.

The platforming elements felt a bit superfluous at times. Sometimes I wondered how this game was different from a visual novel. It is pretty fun to explore scenes for the first time, but sometimes walking from scene to scene in a daily routine got a little boring. The pacing of the game was also a bit odd. I probably would have stopped playing a few hours in, except a lot of my friends really liked this game and I wanted to see how it ended. I also would have liked to be able to save my game to a save slot and return to certain scenes to make different choices, instead of having to start a completely new game.

The solution to the mystery wasn't very believable to me, but I get where the game's authors were going with this. The guys sacrificing people to their pagan devil represented how desperate people can get to simply keep things normal. Mae's parents, Mae, and some of the other characters find themselves in similar situations, just trying to get back to normal and really stressing about it. So thematically, it fits, but plot-wise, it seemed like it came out of nowhere.

Posted November 8, 2017.
Interesting concept, but the forced positioning wasn't interesting to me. I also think the game would have been cuter with animals; the "girls hate nerds" was easy to remember, but it's not a stereotype I like. It's a good game for some casual play, but it was hard for me to get deeper.
Posted February 24, 2017.
This is a charming and accessible point-and-click adventure game with lots of LGBTQ characters. Normally for adventure games, I have to look up the answers for about a third of the puzzles, but for this one I only needed help for the boss fight at the end. This is probably because puzzles have multiple solutions, so you're not railroaded into trying to figure out the one solution. The progression felt pretty linear, but I looked it up and there are multiple endings. Most of the decisions in the game have consequences that make sense, like if you're mean to someone, they won't like you later.

The ending was okay, but I think Choice of Robots delved into robot consciousness issues more deeply. This game's writing really shines in the item descriptions and touch/talk options. They're only enabled when they're unique, and most of the time they are hilarious. I highly recommend looking and touching and talking? to everything, because it's so entertaining. The characters were also pretty well-developed for how many of them there were. Oh, and the pixel art was great. If you like adventure games, I highly recommend this one!
Posted February 24, 2017.
I love the care and thought that went into this charming point-and-click adventure game. You start out helping to heal a bio-technical home and to do so you interface with a biotechnical druid and a computer AI that likes to dress up in fancy clothes. As I was playing through the game a second time, I realized that many of the themes that come up in fixing the house are the same themes that come up as you explore how the flaws in various governments have helped or hurt (mostly hurt) their respective residents--it all starts with the roots.

Even though the game takes on serious themes, it is also very funny. Every book has a title, and some are silly and some are esoteric jokes. I like how all the many descriptions help me feel more immersed in the world. The first time I played this game, I found the crafting system to be a little confusing, but I was able to find a walkthrough that helped me through it.
Posted April 1, 2016.
I like simulation games, and I was able to pick this one up for pretty cheap. I liked how you could do lots of different things (events) to boost stats and the humor is fun for the first hour or two. I was hoping after I beat the game that I could load a previous save and explore the other endings, without having to make a completely new game, but it looks like that's not possible :-(. Also, it was pretty of buggy. Still, I had fun, so if you like simulation/scheduling games, like Princess Maker 2, you will probably like this game.
Posted December 3, 2014.
I was worried this would be a horror game where things jumped out at me, but it was more of a subtle horror. The narration occurs in first person, and asks you what happened. I don't want to spoil the ending, but this quirk leads to some interesting possibilities--is there a "true" ending?
Posted April 8, 2013.