Recent reviews by RockstarCRO

< 1  2  3 ... 26 >
I've been playing FIFA since 94', and FIFA has changed drastically until 2006 (when first touch was first introduced). Since then, it's been a cluster of "code & fix". If you're wondering if FIFA is better that PES, it's not. FIFA does indeed have the licenses and obviously the ridiculous ultimate team card gimmick, but in no way, shape, or form is it better (gameplay-wise) than PES. What FIFA does have on PES is Pro Clubs (where you control a single player, or 11v11 players on a field). Apparently, PES does have some sort of league that exists for 11v11, but I'm not sure if it's the same calibre as FIFA's Pro Clubs. In short, PES is way better than FIFA.

As I've mentioned, I'm going to focus this review on the Pro Clubs aspect - perhaps the only redeeming quality of FIFA. I'm not done ripping on FIFA yet, so let explain why it's NOT better than PES. In PES, the players actually move. They are actively looking to support the player and aren't standing around like a bunch of pylons. FIFA is notorious for having weird (and sometimes often) glitches where the goalie runs over the ball, a defender and goalie collide, switching to a defender makes them stop (further putting a forward on a break-away), and the list goes on. I don't know a single FIFA player that doesn't lose their ♥♥♥♥ when playing the game. Lots of new swearwords are created, but I don't think you want your game to be known for that.

Pro Clubs is a different story. The fact that you can play with your friends and control a single player is amazing. When a player comes together and people are actually moving, it's an amazing experience. The switching problem doesn't exist as you're stuck with your created player. The game goes even further allowing you customize your team (to a point. They probably did this so people don't make extremely whacky players). The one issue that bugs me is that FIFA doesn't seem to realize that players often switch and move positions on the pitch. For example, if I'm a CAM and a friend of mine is a CDM, we can often make runs and switch the position. I allow him to go up sometimes and I'll cover back - simple soccer/football logic no? Well, FIFA will punish you for being out of position (even the slightest bit). For newbies, I do like the fact they hinted at who to mark (and therefore, bring up your score). The scoring system is pretty weird though; I'll get minus marks for playing my position and sometimes a minor bump for scoring a goal. FIFA eh?

Now for you people that play and (unfortunately) support Ultimate Team (unless I guess you own EA stocks), I feel bad for you. Get out of that, because it is truly a gambling addiction. I've seen myself and many friends get dragged into the sub-game and the sub-culture of UT. I've seen people drop stacks of money on virtual cards, and yes to each their own, but it ends up with them being quite sad about it years later. If you're going to play - sure. If you start spending in UT, it's not going to guarantee you'll always win (as heard from voices of rage over discord). I don't know how many more EA games you'll need to buy (or coins for that matter too) until they fix problems they've had for years now.

Graphics and visuals? Meh, you know the deal with them by now. Sounds and music, ma! The game did have some bangers, maybe I'm just too old to get with the new hippity hop.
Go support Pro Clubs and go push for Pro Clubs. FIFA could be a decently competitive game if this was possible. Selfishly, I do want more people online so I match quicker on PC (crossplay not available... seriously it's 2021), but I also want to see a better gaming option avialable as well. 11v11 is absolutely mad and there is something about playing with other gamers. Why do I love soccer? Because it's a team game. Wouldn't that magic on the field translate to our screens?

Knowing EA... nawh. Bring in that cash cow labelled UT and keep milking till it has no more. I don't blame them for it; people got to make money. People also overwork themselves sick and often do the jobs of what should be more then one person. This isn't about that though, it's about Pro Clubs ... and the ONLY reason why I gave it a thumbs up (just in case you're wondering why).

I'm not going to rate this one and I'm not going to make that wonderful grading table that I usually do. If you buy this, ensure it's on sale and you have a few buddies to play Pro Clubs with.

Rock on and rock out.
Posted January 11. Last edited January 11.
I was under pressure when I bought this game. Basically, I wanted to buy a game for a friend that I really wanted to try out a game (that I liked) in exchange for recieving (and playing) a game that he really likes. The catch is we don't really like the games we're about to recieve... and welcome to how a Nascar game ended up in my Steam library. In short, if you have a lot of buddies playing - go for it and grab it on a sale. If you don't, I don't recommend this game (because I don't have interest in Nascar & I'm sure this isn't good for my wheel to keep turning one way). Why did I recommend it? Read on...

The gameplay is interesting on this one, because you literally drive in a circle at 200mph. You go in one direction, literally, for the entire race. You only turn left as the track is continously going left. I'm not sure how people find this entertaining or fun, but the way I like to play doesn't represent the way it should be played. I'm not sure if it's how the AI drives or if it's the temptations of wanting to run into a friend. I do know that the name of the game is staying in the draft of other cars in order to advance in the standings. Although I'm not a fan of Nascar (did I mention that?), I can understand the challenge of racing in an oval and trying to surpass 200mph. I'm not sure if this is a part of the sport, but it certainly feels like a bumper car game at times. Again, this seems to make the challenge all the more interesting. Chains of cars are common and contact sometimes seems to be frequent. The strategy to move forward is obvious, but entices a certain type of racer.

The visuals and graphics are at best okay. The atmosphere, animations, and how the track loads as you race is decent. There is no real wow or shine factor (and I can run two shadows, simuntaneously, with my graphics card).The collisions and damage are alright; that are could've definitely used a decent amount of work. The damage is visible, but it's not always the most accurate. The inside of the car looks real nice though. The sounds and music are also decent at best. The selection of music is far from what I'd generally listen to in addition to hearing a car stay at high revs for a long period of time. Eventually you'll stop wondering if it's your neighbors making engine noises and just accept the high buzzing noise. Again, not my cup of tea over F1 or GT3 engine noises. This domain could've certainly made the game jump a little to a non Nascar fan.

Overall, the game is fun with friends and worth a purchase on sale. That's about the only two reasons I play this game. I generally provide an in-depth look at the gameplay and its modes, but I really can't get myself to play this on my own. This game is a racing game in its own regard; it's just a regard I can't get into. That's my two cents of the game - don't know what else to tell you either than exercise both sides of your shoulders if you're always turning left.

RATING : 6.0/10

N/A (didn't play)
C
Overall
C
Posted December 29, 2020. Last edited December 29, 2020.
Jurrasic World Evolution was my first introduction to Jurrasic Park games (unless you count "Jurrasic Park" from Sega in 1993). I love playing city managing sort of games, and this was a neat twist on that genre. In short, building a park is a neat challenge that sort of thins out after a while. If you're into different types of dinosaurs and playing with their genes, there is no shortage of interest there. The game is good and does feel like it follows a Cities : Skylines sort of interface, but I do think it comes up short in a few areas.

Jurrassic World Evolution has you take on the role of park director. Your decisions will very well influence how well the park does and how much the staff will like you as the new boss. There are three main employee sectors that the player needs to keep satisfied : science, entertainment, and security. The player can request contracts from these groups or the employee groups may sometimes suggest a contract to the player. Obviously, the park is rewarded for completing these contracts, but certain contracts can affect the moral/happiness of other employee groups. For example, a security contract may ask you to let a dinosaur loose to maul (at most) five guests. The entertainment sect may not be too content with that - which would impact the park's relationship with them. The player does have to carefully balance these decisions as it can cost the park more than it will reward the park.

The gameplay is overall quite solid. Building is really easy and happens relatively quick. Players can micromanage stores and adjust the amount of employees, item sold, and price of the items. To advance the park's abilities, the player will send out expeditions to seek out new dinosaur fossils in which the fossil centre will research the rocks to find DNA. This in turn will allow the player to modify dinosaurs and have a higher incubation rate. Players also have full control over what the enclosure will look like. They can adjust terrain, vegitation, and water supply. Additionally, players can opt for more security with stronger or electrified walls. Creating enclosures is an interesting balance as small enclosures will anger dinosaurs, leading to more break-outs and issues.

Park management is done with a select few buildings that play an extremely vital role in keeping the park under control. The Park Ranger building will allow the player to recruit Rangers. Rangers have the roll of repairs, treating sick dinosaurs, and healing dinosaurs. A neat feature allows players to actually control the jeep and drive it around the park (in addition to tranquilizing dinosaurs and taking pictures of them for profit or a contract fulfillment). There is another building that is designated for helicopters that (from the air) tranquilizes dinosaurs and can transport them to different parts of the park. Sometimes, contracts will ask the park to sell a dinosaur in which these helicopters also help out. Unfortunately, this isn't automated. This is good and bad. This is good in a sense where the player can specifically ensure everything is done properly, but bad in a sense where the player constantly has to tell the Rangers to fill up the feeders. I've noticed a decent amount of complaints online regarding this.

The graphics and visuals are actually quite spot on and were well done. Everytime a new dinosaur is created, the camera will zoom in to show off the new dinosaur. This is a small "wow" factor that comes into play when the genetics of the dinosaur are being changed. All the small animations seem to be there, and major ones (such as taking control of a jeep and tranquilizing a dinosaur) are quite on point. The sounds and music are okay. Nothing too spectacular regarding the music. It does try to play with the players emotions when a dinosaur does break-out of an enclosure. The dialogue isn't only written; the characters within the game actually speak and provide insightful advice (at times).

Overall, the game is average. I think it's a steep asking price for $50, but I think the sale price of $5 was more than reasonable (considering I put five hours into the game the first day I got it). The introduction/tutorial to the game were absolutely well done, but I feel the game kind of got slow the more I played it. There is no abillity to speed up time and it sort of feels repetitive after a while. Unlike Cities : Skylines, you're constantly exploring new ways to go about your city. The same vibe is here, just feels like the bells and whistles that were attached are quite limited. I'll recommend it cautiously, but if you're interested, I'd say definitely wait for a sale. Watch some YouTube videos before you make a decision!

Some pointers to the Devs that need adjustment :
-Ranger team AI wise, aren't very effective. They're good at getting belted by dinosaurs. What I can do in a split second, they will eventually cost me $50.000
-Are the people content? Where are they going? I feel like the people that are in the park are simple visual representations of the stars at the bottom. Maybe give them a little bit of a preference so the players can read what is going on with them or what they want.

RATING : 7/10

C+
Overall
C+
Posted December 27, 2020. Last edited January 15.
If you love automation, you’re going to love Factorio. Even if you liked managing traffic in Cities : Skylines, you’ll love the amount of systems and logistics management that occurs in this game. Factorio was on my ignored list, and somehow made its way into my Steam library. I would recommend trying the (free) demo first before purchasing. If the demo was something you enjoyed, I’m sure you’ll eventually purchase the game. Just so you know, this game is extremely unlikely to ever go on sale. ~$30 for this game is quite the asking price, so really do your homework before you consider taking the leap. This game builds off the concept of finding a resolution, but it's almost as if nearly every resolution leads to another issue.

***VIDEO REVIEW AT THE VERY BOTTOM***

This game can be overwhelming for those looking to jump straight into a game. I’m a very inpatient gamer and generally take this route, but I am very happy I took the time to try out the demo and learn about the game. Once someone realizes the premise of the game and the insane amount of connections that need to be made to make products/materials/resources, it’s quite easy to get a headache from over thinking. This is the draw of the game; it starts out relatively simple, but becomes quite complicated when you want to begin automating production. For example, if the player wants to build a green science kit, you’ll need a conveyer belt track and an inserter (an arm that moves things off a belt). The player can easily continue to input those objects into the assembler (building), but that becomes quite tiresome in an extremely short amount of time. The player now has to think, “To build a green science kit, I will need an assembler to do that. Before I get to the green science kit, I need to make an assembler that makes tracks and inserters. Those assemblers will need gears, refined iron, and other materials before the tracks and inserters are made. The player is then left thinking how to shovel coal and iron into a furnace to continue producing refined iron. This is the draw of Factorio; this is how players get sucked in and their ability to organize becomes challenged.

The gameplay, although simple, is quite rock solid. The game is controlled with mouse and keyboard and offers extremely rudimentary movement options. The player is unable to jump, dodge, or roll. These movements aren’t quite necessary, but movement options are always welcomed. Another control based approach I would’ve liked to see was the ability to move the character in a 360 degree motion (sort of what a joystick would provide). Controller support would’ve been a neat addition as well, though I can understand why players are being pushed towards mouse and keyboard control. The car movement is also a little blocky, but it seems the devs designed it that way. Placing and removing objects are quite simple and there is no long building times. There are, however, assembly times. All items in the game will take time to put together. Although that is the case, the player can build and have buildings available in their back pockets whenever they please.

The graphics and visuals are pretty standard for a 2 dimensional world. The animations were actually really well done, considering the 2D world. The fine details of smoke, smog, automation, lights turning off and on, and building animations (etc…) are all well done. I feel the design process was thoroughly looked after and attention to detail was kept in high regard. The sounds and music are decent at best. Yes, it does suit the atmosphere, but I find the background music to be more annoying than enjoyable. The sounds will sometimes drive you nuts as well; hearing the radar sound next to an area where you need to work will irritate you. Though, I shouldn’t complain too much as at least the sound indicates to me that the radar is working.

Overall, as simple of a concept Factorio is, it just has this factor where it will keep drawing you in. Mincraft and Terraria players will understand this feeling of endless exploration. You might find some points of the game very overwhelming when you’re trying to assemble certain parts, but that challenge will entice you to continue. There are points in the game where I get caught doing something, and then completely forget what I was previously working on. It’s a confusing and wonderful feeling. It is possible to organize and follow an assembly line, but sometimes you’ll have no idea how the heck or where the heck a certain item is coming from. I will recommend this game, but I highly suggest you try the demo and do a little research before purchasing the game. If you're buying it for the multiplayer, it is a very smooth experience!

RATING : 8/10

B (demo/tutorial)
B
Overall
B

Video :

Factorio Highlights Review Video
Posted December 7, 2020. Last edited December 22, 2020.
Assetto Corsa is a racing game I recommend to those looking for a realistic driving game. There is a massive career mode that supplements a competitive online option. It's a rock solid game to say the least, but it's user interface is absolutely terrible (from the menus to the racing line). Further, to host your own server is quite complicated; so if you're planning that I hope you know how to port forward properly. Solid game, but there are a few kinks that need to be updated/fixed/addressed.

Assetto Corsa's gameplay is really close to simulation and the force feedback is quite responsive. I would highly recommend this game if you own a wheel and are looking to test your H-shifter/clutch skills. I've researched quite a bit of games that have a realistic support for clutch/H-shifter, and Assetto seems to be the only one with the proper code in place to support this. In Project Cars 2 there is the ability to use an H-shifter, but it doesn't seem to care if the clutch is pushed in or released gradually. Assetto seemed to take that into account; the game will punish the player for releasing the clutch too quickly or for flooring the gas. Handling feels different vehicle to vehicle, and it honestly feels, well - real. I was trying to use my H-shifter with a GT3 car and realized it wasn't working. I then realized that GT3 cars have paddle shifters and stopped getting angry at the game for staying true to its nature. Overall, the cars handle wonderfully and the racing experience is awesome.

There are a few drawbacks that I think the devs need to work on. The racing line is absolutely horrendous. It is not accurate at all and the colours sort of represent where you should slow down, but don't give an accurate estimate of when you begin coming into the turn. I know some of you professionals out there say "well who uses a racing line"? Well, people who first start racing games need a little guide in how to approach the track. I find this could absolutely discourage some players from really getting into the game. There are a lot of tracks and it can take some time memorizing them. I hope this gets addressed in future updates. They did an excellent job for AC Competizione, hopefully they can transfer some of that here. They did do the career mode quite well - I have to give them credit for that. It starts you off nicely in an Abarth and slowly you work your way up to the fast cars.

The graphics and visuals are pretty good. The cars look stunning, but some of the textures in the environment do need a little touch-up. The tracks themselves are quite accurate and the ambience is quite nice. You'll spot a paper looking tree here and there, but it won't take away from your racing experience. The sounds and music are also decent. Nothing too eccentric, over the top, or crazy, but it does its job. The car noises are rock solid. I was racing in a Ferrari against a few friends and they started getting scared when they heard the engine screaming at them as I approached. It doesn't beat real life, but it certainly gives it a good run for its money! In my opinion, the sounds were absolutely well done.

Overall, the game is pretty good. I prefer to play Assetto Corsa Competizione for the racing experience, but if this game is on sale and you really want to use your clutch pedal, I'd recommend a purchase. It is nice to come back to this game, especially when you get your own server set up. I do hope the racing line issue gets fixed because it makes it hard for new buddies to jump into the game.

RATING : 7.4/10

B+
C+
Overall
B-
Posted November 27, 2020.
I've tried out quite a few racing games before I got to this one. The biggest question was whether I buy Assetto Crosa (AC) or AC Competizione (ACC), and I'm sure you have this question as well. The answer (as it usually should be) is it depends. AC is good if you have an H-shifter or want to try a wide variety of cars. ACC I feel is a lot more authentic in nature and refined than the original AC. Personally, ACC has quickly become one of my favorite racing games due to its realism. If you own a wheel, this is a must own!

ACC has rock solid gameplay. Everything from the car handling, force feedback, acceleration, traction control, and racing line are done right. As someone whose put many hours on F1 and had a tough time playing anything else, this game has fully shifted my focus. It just feels right all around. To jump in a game is very simple as there are servers constantly running practices (or skipping them), running qualifying (or skipping them too), and races. There are a decent amount of cars to choose from and all feel very different (especially if a wheel is being used). If you played the original AC, you'll notice the racing line wasn't done right at all. The racing line here is very accurate and true to the speed of the car. The paddle shifting also feels authentic and there is no better feeling that downshifting at the right time.

Career mode of course is available in the game. The cutscenes in the game try to hype the player further about getting into the racing scene. It's actually pretty nice as the first race will evaluate what level you're at as a driver and try to set the difficulty according to your preliminary results. This game is extremely picky on being a good driver. Any sort of collision is punished, and ranked mode is not available until you've proven your a safe and reliable driver. It will take quite a few races to build up your safety rating, car control, and trust rating. The better the race, the better the chances of increasing the rating lap to lap. Careful though; any collision be it on purpose or not, both drivers will be punished. It is a little unfair when racing with new racers online, but that's the nature of ACC.

The visuals and graphics are pretty good. They aren't top notch, but more or less everything is quite defined. The cars look pretty solid during cutscenes and on the menus. The interiors of the cars seem very detailed down to the airvents (why is that important? No idea, just what stuck out). The damage to the cars are also quite realistic and will effect the abillity to drive them. Smack a wall too hard, and not only will you see the damage, but your steering wheel might be stuck at a 45 degree angle due to the collision. The sounds and music were pretty well done. The sounds of the engines all sound different and very authentic. There is nothing like making a sports car sound like a jet engine.

Overall, I would highly recommend this game on sale or not. This is one of those games in which you purchase a gaming wheel for. Competitive or not, the game does find a happy balance where you can compete. If you're looking for a serious racer where others respect your racing line, this game should be on your list. The more the merrier when friends race alongside you. I would recommend to the devs to put a little bit of a reward system for the multiplayer (in regards to points). F1 will let you set up lobbies and accumulate points; wouldn't be a bad idea here. And please... make the possibility of hosting a server a little easier!

RATING : 8.6/10

A-
B
Overall
B
Posted November 21, 2020. Last edited January 6.
I had to think a decent amount before I reviewed this game. This was my second ever game I played with an actual wheel, and was quite impressed at first. I had the opportunity to quickly try out other racers, and the more I came back to PC2, I wasn't too thrilled to play. I could see a kid me playing the heck out of this game, as an adult (don't judge), it's a little too arcade rather than simulation. If you want a racing game with variety, certainly purchase this game on sale. If you're looking for a simulation racer like F1 or Assetteo Corsa Comp, I would continue looking.

Project cars 2 gameplay is overall solid. There is a load of different car types to try out, and they do feel different from vehicle to vehicle. The pure variety the game has is what is most appealing about it. This is a great thing, but it feels it's at the cost of the pure racing feel. This is where the gameplay seems to come second to everything else; the actual user interface to race type and variety is splendid, but is it worth the cost of the main thing video games are about? The feel of the car at first is a treat. As the game progresses, the keener racers of the gaming world will sort of frown on how the car handles in turns. Don't get me wrong that the go-kart option is wonderful and it feels decently real, it's just I don't like when we start using real cars and collisions are a little wonky.

If a car is travelling real fast and does make some impact, even if it is a little bump, there should be some sort of consequence. The impact that a split-second can make doesn't completely feel good here. Although some of the impacts are decent, for the most part I feel like I'm playing bumper cars. Then there is the multiplayer aspect : it's weird that it's kind of bad. It took me almost a half hour before I could actually start racing. A lot of the lobbies were password protected or lacked presence of souls. F1 servers look like a city while PC2 can be compared to a village. If you don't get that analogy, basically the player count isn't that great. Pair that problem with a slow pace to actually start playing online, it doesn't start to look good for the game. The online modes are okay (with some championship mode included), but F1 did it right having a ranked system and an unranked system. Simple and effective - competitive vs non-competitive.

I will give the game some credit when ti does come to dynamic weather. I've noticed the rain does a decent job of creating slick paths and hydroplaning situations. Although initially all feels right, the arcade/ drift/forgiveness style of the game will simply turn off those looking for a serious replica. Even in the snow, the game doesn't feel true to the wheel and again, comes up short. The AI is sort of the cement and glue to all this. At times, the AI will be a worthy opponent and will make moves to defend (in a not super aggressive sort of way). Other times, prepare your rear end and brace for impact ahead as a car will randomly sometimes hit you from behind. The randomness can be good, but again, serious racers won't like having "risk" constantly on in a game.

The graphics and visuals may bother some gamers. There are games from 2005-2010 that hold up quite well in the present day, so well in fact that it might give PC2 a run for its money. The cars designs seem a little "bloom and cartoon", the raw definition, scratches, roughness of racing cars at that speed isn't there. The feeling of going that fast isn't quite there either. The interiors look okay - if that matters for you? The sounds and music are also a little weird. Nothing too crazy, nothing too notable. The menu music can get annoying (after waiting for a multiplayer lobby for a while) and the in-game noises of the car sound a little cheap instead of raw and deep. When you hit your metal gas pedal in your living room, you want your sound bar and sub to roar a little that someone yells across the room to turn it down. This domain is okay at it's best.

Look, the game is decent overall, but I won't recommend it because I see myself jumping back to F1 and Assetto Corsa Comp. more than I see myself jumping back to PC2 (even if a buddy is online). I just feel there is a lot going on with the UI and no real concentration of getting players into the game as quick as possible. I absolutely adore the fact the game has a bunch of different variety of cars and races as it's one of the few reasons to bring me back to it. However, I think seeing a game that has the number two on it for the price of the game that has the number three on it is quite concerning. Project Cars 2 is the same price as Project Cars 3... why? This game is decent, not $80 plus some tax decent. I would recommend the game if it was for $20 or so, but being an older game for that follows an arcade tune? Nah-uh, I don't think so Tim.

Also a big piece of information : if you happen to have a clutch and an H shifter you want to use, this game is definitely not for it. The original Assetto Corsa does a decent job with the clutch system, this game has zero clutch sensitivity. Looking at some forums - apparently that was done on purpose. I was a little disappointed when the clutch and H shifter combo didn't work. I should also mention there is rally - in case you are into that. It's alright, but doesn't feel as authentic as DIRT.

RATING: 7/10

C+
Overall
C+
Posted November 6, 2020. Last edited November 8, 2020.
This is an example of such a simple game that brings out the best out of people. If you're always suspicious, a conspiracy theorist, or just love blaming other people - then this is the perfect game for you. Large player base and quick controls make the seamless for everyone to enjoy.

Among Us, in a nutshell, is a game where there is a set of players (generally 2), and among them are imposters. The imposters attempt to kill all the other crew mates without being spotted or booted off the station. The players (who are not imposters) are meant to carry out tasks and complete these tasks before everyone gets killed. Even when players are killed, their ghosts still remain in the game. This allow players who haven't finished their task to complete their task (potentially saving other players). The pull of the game is always guessing who is the imposter. Is someone pretending to do their task? Is there a player that is stalking other players just out of their line of sight? Is someone acting kind of fishy? Is it the same person reporting a dead body? Once someone has reported a dead body, a meeting ensues. Players type in what they think and a decision to boot someone off the ship can happen. If there isn't enough evidence, players are allowed to skip the vote.

The gameplay is very simple. The game allows players to move using the keyboard and actions are completed by clicking. Players that aren't imposters carry out a multitude of tasks. These tasks aren't challenging and can become quite menial after a while. Tasks include turning on shields, refuelling the engine, adjusting the engine angle, attaching electrical wire, and many more. The imposters have the ability to "sabotage" and potentially take out everyone if what they've broken isn't fixed. Sometimes it's something small like knocking out the lights, to something big like tampering with the reactor core. The gameplay isn't the greatest selling point, but the whole draw is trying to figure out who committed the murder. I do think some of the tasks could've been more interesting or challenging, but the game does include mobile users. I guess it has to be something that mobile users can also do.

The graphics and visuals are suitable to the game's atmosphere. Nothing over the top, but no minor animation missed. As you complete tasks, you are able to see what you've fixed. I do wish there was a little bit more going on in the environment (like steam/smoke or loose tiles) to give the player a better feeling of being on edge. The sounds and music are probably the worst thing about this game. There isn't much here to get the player immersed into the environment and the music is absolutely dreadful. This area would most likely need a touch-up for a better gaming experience.

Overall, Among Us is a fun little game you can play with the family or a bunch of lug-headed friends. The price is a little much, but I would certainly recommend a purchase on sale. If you're looking for a thriller or one of those "who killed who" games, this would be it. A large player base is what is the most attractive about a game like this (as other similar games lack the player base).

RATING: 6.85/10

N/A
C+
Overall
C+
Posted September 23, 2020.
Ever wish you were on MXC or The Floor Is Lava TV shows? You know, the ones where you're running through an obstacle course, dodging things, or trying to accomplish an amazing physical feat? Well Fall Guys let's you experience just that with 60 other people all at the same time without feeling the pain, well, only the pain of losing. Pretty rock solid game with or without friends, but I feel (and kinda hope) there will be updates in the future.

Fall Guys follows a very simplistic gameplay format which means the controls are quite simple. Sometimes, less can be more in the sense of challenge. The art (or draw) of the game comes from the maps and objectives themselves. The point of the game is essentially to make it to the end, whether it's running through fans, dodging fruit on an incline, jumping from one uneven see-saw to another uneven see-saw, or trying to remember which fruit picture was on which tile. The game follows a sequence of five events in which players that do not qualify are removed from the next game. Unlucky for those who don't get to play the real fun maps! It's also slightly unlucky that the game doesn't allow players to choose which maps or game-modes they want to play. All is generated from the server side of things, which is okay, but it would be nice to play the maps YOU want to play! The main controls of the game are movement, jump, dive, and grab. Grab is a funny one as sometimes you'll see people trying to grab your character, preventing it from reaching the finish line.

The graphics and visuals are very vibrant and colourful. I really adore the colour scheme they've decided to go with, in addition to allowing players to customize their characters. It fits perfectly in the goofy and lively atmosphere. All the important animations are there and are surprisingly very smooth. Seeing someone get whacked by a propeller and going flying is quite a sight to see. The sounds and music are pretty funky and definitely ramp up the player. I really appreciate the bass playing during the main menu - solid slapping technique!

Overall, the game is pretty fun and is different than the usual run and gun found on steam. I really appreciate the PC gaming world having this sort of unique approach to an idea and implementing it properly to a game. I think they followed through on an awesome idea to allow people to feel what it's like to go through a fun obstacle course, but do have a little work ahead of them in adding finishing touches that will keep their player base consistent. New maps, new game modes, new options, and even allowing local play with online might keep things interesting. I received this copy as a gift, but I would recommend a purchase on sale.

RATING : 7.9/10

A
C+
Overall
B
Posted August 9, 2020. Last edited November 22, 2020.
Just a little reference before we get into the review : this is officially my first racing game with a wheel. I started watching Drive to Survive on Netflix and before you know it, F1 was in my library and a steering wheel was in my house. Lot of questions were asked, specifically around why is there a wheel in the living room and what was the cost. That doesn't matter; what does matter is that F1 2020 has come a long way since I first played the series in 2015. Rock solid racing game, a lot funner with friends, and highly recommended with a wheel. Although the game is quite positive, there are still a few things to consider depending on your level of competitiveness.

F1's gameplay is quite rock solid. The amount of assists available to help new players makes the game accessible and allows n00bs to experience success to continue playing. If there is a need for a more real, racing simulation type action, turn off all those assists and start wondering why the car continues to spin out (maybe don't floor it at first eh)? That was the first major difference I noted. Actual F1 fanatics will notice systems like DRS and ERS are avaialble, and pit/boxing the car can all be made manual as well. I got a few speeding penalties in the pits for that. The single player mode features two main paths : Career and My Team.

Career is what you'd expect, start from F2 and work your way to F1. Become a better driver, make more money, earn more sponsors, and race for the dream team you've always wanted. My Team takes a more manager/owner approach where you manage more than you drive. Time trials is also available - times are recorded and compared to worldwide players so there is always motivation to try harder. Multiplayer features split screen (nice touch really), unranked and ranked lobbies. Ranked generally has players that are more "race smart" and are wary of colliding with others. Sometimes in unranked you'll find lobbies like this, but sometimes you will lose your marbles as some players do not grasp the concept of a proper F1 race. Dive-bombing (going at a fast speed into a turn and hitting another car) can be a real issue and really piss off serious drivers. Some players have an issue discerning between Need for Speed collisions and F1 collisions.

The graphics and visuals are pretty good. Animations seems smooth and accurate, graphics take note of tires skidding onto the track, and the dynamic weather system is a pretty cool feature. There will be races where you'll start in rain, but maybe finish racing in the sun. Really changes the strategy and forces the player to apply their common sense in a racing situation. I understand that F1 keeps safety paramount, but knowing that F1 2020 is a game, I think this realm needs a little work. If a car travelling at 300km/h hits another car or a wall, there should be some damage and potentially some flips going on. I think this is the weakest point of the game at the moment. The sounds and music are bland. Some of the engine sounds are definitely distinct, while others may seem like a modified vacuum. The interviews after races are a little annoying after a while; interviewers will ask more or less the same questions which affect the player's acclaim.

Overall, F1 2020 is a solid kick to the new decade. I highly recommend the game if you follow F1, if you're an avid and competitive racing fan, or own a steering wheel and pedals. I think the price of the game is a little high and should be towards the $30-$40 range. I disagree with releasing games year after year with no significant improvement (*cough cough* I'm looking at you FIFA). If you do decide to purchase this,

I would recommend getting a few friends on board and creating or joining a league. Small details like the crowd suddenly cutting out, or the absence of punctured tires may bug you for the price of $60+. Reviewing replays is also another terrible feature that needs significant improvement. I think for $60+, the replay system should be at least decent. Additionally, the ranking system doesn't make much sense. My ranking and license both go down and up randomly at times. It would be nice to know what I'm doing right in the game and what I'm doing wrong. F1 2020 is a decent game, but is a long way away from being superior to iRacing.

EDIT : The servers are absolutely terrible. You'll have some "fun" for $60+ waiting in lobbies that won't connect or that lose connection. Unranked isn't an issue, ranked will drive you nuts.

RATING : 7.9/10

B-
Overall
B-
Posted August 9, 2020. Last edited November 21, 2020.
< 1  2  3 ... 26 >