Recent reviews by rightasrain

I loved Fallout 3. I love Fallout 4. To have a character like Nick Valentine with me all-game instead of Dogmeat (sorry mate) with all his quirky comments and philosophical narrative is a bonus in itself.

Anything can happen. You kill a bunch of ghouls in a food mart, walk outside and boom, a behemoth kills you outright. Reload and...run like mad only to find the perfect hidey-hole to kill it outright without detection. Too much like fun fun fun. Check it out here (my gameplay):
Riteasrain Fallout 4 Gameplay PC: Superduper Mart Ghouls

People whinge about characters like Danse and Garvey and the quests they give. I just think it's loads of fun wandering around killing stuff. Too bad about the repitition, that's to be expected to a point. Of course, stealth is involved which for me buying a game is the first thing I consider.

Settlement building becomes a little too much after a while so I don't worry too much if happiness declines. A few water pumps, turrets and generators do the trick, then move on.

I love love love the console (I play on pc), where I can cheat to my heart's content if I get sick of dumping stuff because "you're carrying too much and can't run". And Bethesda, how about just "you're carrying too much to run". And if I run out of ingredients for building, just press "~" and I'm off. Cheating is only for the long-time-in-game though. I have to experience it raw first.

Well worth playing. Don't wait, get it!
Posted February 16, 2017. Last edited February 16, 2017.
Ah Thief. What nostalgic memories of games gone by. That feeling of lonely vast halls, tall-ceiling buildings, creepy abandoned (really?) houses. Those were the first three games.

This last Thief is nothing like that.

Linear it may be, and frustrating to have to access areas again and again and each time discover those re-spawned npcs. Damn it! And rooms that go nowhere when you're trying to get through to the other side, access points to other parts of the map that let you in but don't let you out so another way has to be found, falling down ladders until you realise on pc it's W+Space. Wha?

But still, I enjoyed the game, it looks good, there's still some strategising and some difficult areas that have to be worked out. Characters don't have much dimension and the game felt short and rushed. But all in all, it was a great Christmas present and from my son at that. It's replayable as well.

Posted February 15, 2017.
Skyrim is open-world. After completing the main quest there is tons more to do, miles more roaming, many more NPCs to interact with, followers to hire, hundreds of hours more gameplay. There are add-ons - Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn. There is a pull to go back to the game after you think you're done. I've been playing the game since it came out, with a few stops in between, but it keeps drawing me back. The landscape is gorgeous, dungeons inviting, non-player characters interesting, a large variety of apparel and weapons that can be customised and enchanted, and The Music! Jeremy Soule...sigh. And then there's the loot. Then start again as a new character, maybe mage instead of warrior, thief instead of mage. Can't get better than that.

It says "845.5 hours on record" but I've done close to 2000 hours, and counting, with many playthroughs over the years. Very addictive. Well, I AM retired :D
Posted February 14, 2014. Last edited July 18, 2017.