Recent reviews by Chumbo

The game is a screenshot simulator. The world in this game is absolutely beautiful. I've taken so many dang screenshots of locations I visited because everything is so pretty. If you're a fan of open-world RPGs like the Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption, and God of War, this game is worth your time if it's ON SALE - and I'll elaborate on that.

The biggest flaw in the game for me was that the writing was REAL average. It's not the best nor is it not the worst writing. It just gets by. The dialogue between your character and the minor/major characters aren't memorable at all. I finished this game + DLC a few days ago and I can only remember a handful of quests that really stood out to me. As a result of the pretty average writing, it's hard to get immersed in the incredible world because both of the main characters you can play have are bland and the quests you do in the world are uninteresting. This game is also 40-80 hours long of pretty much the same level of writing, depending on if you have the DLC at all. I will mention that the game starts off pretty strong, has a drawn-out mid-game, but a fantastic conclusion. (This is including the Fates of the Atlantis DLC, which is essentially the main story after you beat the non-DLC content)

Also, the animation/mocap during the scenes are actually somehow WORSE than the AC games that came before it. This was my first AC game but I looked at the opening scene in AC Unity (a game that came out 4 years before this one), and the animation has regressed somehow...

Not to mention that the combat is pretty average as well. When you think of good RPG combat you think of God of War and Dark Souls - the combat systems in those games are challenging but rewarding. AC Odyssey combat is pretty much the opposite. The enemies are "bullet" sponges and not intimidating whatsoever. You have abilities that heal significant amounts of your health on low cooldowns and even make you invulnerable for long periods of time. It was difficult for me to get into the combat because I never feared dying in an encounter - it was more a matter of just hitting the enemies with my abilities for a few minutes then doing whatever quest that brought me there. However, there are redeeming parts of the whole combat system. I did think that the large variety of gear and weapons was cool. There are so many ways to play - warrior (swords, maces, daggers, spears, axes, etc), assassin, and huntsman. Each has its own unique playstyle and do have the foundations of a solid RPG combat system.

Anyways, this game is decent. There are a lot of things to do in the massive world, but it could be better. 7/10 would recommend.
Posted December 7, 2020. Last edited December 7, 2020.
Writers changed from BL2 to BL3. If you liked the writing in BL2 a lot, you probably won't like how they wrote BL3. The characters from previous titles that appear in this game are very different than how you remember them.
Posted November 26, 2020. Last edited November 30, 2020.
cereberus best doggo
Posted November 26, 2020.
i played this game 38 hours over 3 days please help me
Posted November 29, 2015.