0.0 hrs last two weeks / 24.1 hrs on record (20.9 hrs at review time)
Posted: Mar 26, 2016 @ 1:42am
Updated: Mar 26, 2016 @ 5:48am

A lot of people have the wrong idea about Trackmania Turbo. They are seeing it as a sequel to Trackmania 2 (also known as ManiaPlanet). The fact of the matter is that TMT is infact, NOT a sequel. It is merely a spin off for consoles, except that the developers brought it to PC so we wouldn't miss out too.

If you approach TMT as a side project, and not a sequel to TM2, then it is a very fun, enjoyable experience. It has all the stuff that is required for fun times with friends and other players online. Up to 4 player splitscreen, Double Driver mode (where two people control one car), and, of course a single player mode and track editor.

For those of you who are freaking out about the 'consolified' editor, calm down! The classic editor is still there, to access it, start making a new map, and then you just need to move your mouse up to the top of the screen (so the menu bar shows), and click on the cog/gear, and choose the classic editor :)

For video makers, the video editor is still there, too. It's accessed the same way (via the menu bar's cog/gear) on any of the main menus.

Physics-wise, Nadeo seem to have tweaked the handling of existing environments (Canyon, Stadium, and Valley). None of the tweaking has rendered the environments bad to play, and they still retain their exclusively different handling styles.

I can't give a complete coverage of optimization, as my system is fairly powerful. However, I have not had any performance issues at all, and no crashing either. However, it's running the exact same engine as Trackmania 2, so if you can run that, then you probably won't have any troubles running this!

Sadly, you cannot paint your car in a detailed way in this game (like in Trackmania 2). This, again, is because it is a spin off side game for consoles, that was also released on PC to keep us happy. I won't complain - they could have not released the game at all for PC.

All in all, this is a very solid fun game, and is worth picking up if you like fast-paced, skill based racing.

Final rating: 8/10 (two points lost for track complexity limit, this could have easily been disabled for PC!).
Breezer O2 Titan Industrial Fan Mar 30, 2016 @ 12:21am
Oh wow :D ty :)
[TR] 20 Percent Maverick -ll- Mar 29, 2016 @ 11:16pm
5th paragraph, Hylis approved review!
Breezer O2 Titan Industrial Fan Mar 29, 2016 @ 8:04pm
Really? Link?
harule Mar 29, 2016 @ 9:48am
Featured in the Maniaplanet Forums!
Breezer O2 Titan Industrial Fan Mar 28, 2016 @ 1:50am
lol 4k hours. You're dedicated :D I honestly haven't got any idea how long I've played it for, but I do know I started playing 8 years ago and haven't stopped yet lol.

Yup, I hope Nadeo listen and patch it asap :)
Varkster Mar 28, 2016 @ 1:31am
I hope so too; I actually really like the game, and I think they've added a lot that is good.

But at the same time UBI have made some completely nonsensical choices, considering the IP they have bought. Completely missing several of the main points which make the series so appealing and have given it such longevity.

I only have 4k hours on TM2, but that's plenty to know that 1) I'm never going to beat the best players, and 2) I get better all the time. Not being able to see that progress or those aspirations makes it far less likely I'll play Turbo much, except as an off-line fix when I want better eye candy than TM2.

Well; here's hoping for the leaderboard patch. :)
Breezer O2 Titan Industrial Fan Mar 28, 2016 @ 1:16am
Oh, I see what ya mean now :)

Yeah they easily could've added some kind of ranking system. Maybe it will come in a future update (I hope).
Varkster Mar 28, 2016 @ 1:02am
@danodude
By point b) I merely meant that by making the game available on PC, I didn't need to buy a PS4 or XBone to decide that I don't really like it as much as TM2.

I don't understand your comment about dedis. Don't get confused by the name; all I expected was some kind of master best times list for each track/for each track on this server/for each track you have played. Surely there are plenty of games with online leaderboards? Even iPhone games have them. It's hardly rocket surgery.

According to another thread, these scores do even exist; they just "aren't displayed for some reason." W, T, and as kids these days say; F.
Breezer O2 Titan Industrial Fan Mar 27, 2016 @ 9:59pm
@Shoubi, Trackmania Turbo is a spin off from Trackmania 2. Trackmania 2 is not abandoned, Nadeo are working on the ManiaPlanet 4.0 update, as well as bringing Lagoon to TM2.

Why buy TM2 over TM Turbo? Easy. TM2 is the complete Trackmania experience, for hardcore players. With complete customization such as the ability to make your own blocks, skins, title packs, and game modes. Turbo is aimed at being easily accessable, and as a fun party/multiplayer, not-so-hardcore Trackmania experience.

Also, Nadeo are aiming at giving all Turbo owners a free copy of Lagoon for Trackmania 2.

@S5yn3T, did you even read the review?! I never said it was a sequel, I said it was a SPIN OFF.
S5yn3T Mar 27, 2016 @ 2:49pm
it's not a sequel, it's a downgrade to tm2, or as i call it dlc... facelifted game, with practicly everything copy pasted from maniaplanet with no proper settings, no moding not even a cross platform