Прорецензовані

< 1  2  3 ... 86 >
Показані результати 1–10 із 852
Людей вважають цю рецензію корисною: 6
3.6 год. загалом
I bring up difficulty in a lot of reviews, but I don’t think I’ve ever talked about why a game should be difficult. Obviously games shouldn’t be difficult in ways that frustrate the player, and conversely they shouldn’t be so easy that they become tedious or boring. But ZeroRanger understands that posing a fair challenge, a steep but ultimately surmountable challenge, can give a player more inspiration to keep at it than some of the best narratives or systems. This is not an easy game, and I haven’t even seen all the ways it can challenge me, but I’ve had such a blast getting this far that I can definitely call it one of the better shmups on Steam.

The bizarre alien craft Green Orange has arrived to annihilate humanity, and only two ships remain to save what’s left. Blasting off from the ruins of civilization, your battle will take you deep beneath the planet’s surface, into outer space, and to the very heart of whatever Green Orange is. Along the way you’ll acquire new weapons to aid in your fight, as well as a powerful new ability as you close in on your target. But the path to victory is not as clear as it might first appear, and simply destroying your foes may not lead to your salvation. Only by understanding the nature of the threat and the fight you face will you reach true enlightenment here.

There’s a lot I can’t tell you about ZeroRanger, honestly. The plot very clearly takes cues from all sorts of old-school anime and aspires to be much more than a straight clash of good and evil. Ultimately your battle is not entirely what it seems, and taking new approaches to parts of the game can yield surprising results. The store page only advertises four levels which is not entirely accurate, and even though they’re quite lengthy and challenging you can expect plenty more than what you encounter there. A huge part of the game’s appeal is reaching not just the next stage of the game, but the next stage of understanding of what you’re working towards. It’s a very clever story with some genuinely emotional moments, and some fantastic payoffs for your efforts.

Getting there is going to take plenty of effort, too. As a shmup, ZeroRanger is up there with the likes of Ikaruga and Mars Matrix for how brutal it can be. The system itself is incredibly simple, just three fire buttons and a fourth for a later ability. No shields, no bombs, no gimmicks, just you versus hordes of enemies and bullets. You do have a combo meter to keep up, which can earn you extra lives very rapidly and keep you in prolonged fights, since you don’t return to the last checkpoint until you use a continue. The whole continue system is also score-based and fairly mysterious, so it’s not just the story you’ll have to work to understand.

Your foes are a wonderfully entertaining spread of ships, mechs, and squishier things, and it’s a ton of fun to see how the opposition changes as you draw closer to the source. Some of these designs are wildly creative, and are presented with fantastic flair and an incredible soundtrack to accompany them. They’re all a fair challenge, but grow steeper and steeper as you progress until you surely hit something of a brick wall. There’s no avoiding it, ZeroRanger is the kind of game you must learn and practice to improve at, because some of these fights are brutally uncompromising. On the plus side, you can start at any level you’ve reached with any ships and weapons you want, so practicing tricky parts isn’t the issue. The issue is overcoming that wall at all, which is extremely worthwhile here but not something everyone is going to be willing to do.

For my part, I’m stuck on what appears to be the true final boss who has a ridiculously challenging gimmick different from all the rest. I know I can beat it eventually, but I can’t say how long it’ll take or how frustrated I might become getting there. What I can say is that I’ve had a ton of fun getting to that point and learning the secrets of this game, and even if I never overcome him I’ll likely keep at the game anyway because it’s such an awesome spectacle. There’s a part in the fourth stage where you’ve just beaten something huge and terrifying, blasted your way into an unknown area, and this incredible song starts blasting as you speed down these enemy-filled corridors. I get an absolute thrill every time I hit that part, which is something that I hope more people can experience because ZeroRanger is definitely special in the land of shmups.

Did you enjoy this review? I certainly hope so, and I certainly hope you'll check out more of them at https://goldplatedgames.com/ or on my curation page!
Додано 22 травня.
Людей вважають цю рецензію корисною: 8
7.3 год. загалом
It can be tempting to offer players a vast world to explore and master, but this only makes it harder to design. Rarely is it enough to create a world and leave people to their own devices in it, because of how important direction is to both learning the rules and finding purpose. Direction, or lack thereof, is the only thing really holding me back in Horizon’s Gate. I’ve figured out how to make money, build my fleet, grow my prestige, and lay my enemies low, but less so what to do with my skills and resources. Fortunately, there’s plenty to do in this lush world besides advance the plot

As a commodore of the island nation of Dominio, your star was on the rise. A single fateful night was enough to blot it out, though, leaving you with only a tiny boat and a long-time friend to start over. But start over you can, building your reputation as a trader, explorer, or mercenary, allying with another of the world’s nations, and gathering the ships and crew to become a formidable force yourself. Hidden somewhere on the vast oceans are the clues to what happened on that terrible night, and following them may lead you to uncover even worse secrets about your lost home.

There’s a lot more to find besides that, though. Horizon’s Gate is a mash-up of turn-based tactical RPG combat and free-roaming sailing, like if the world map in Final Fantasy Tactics were replaced with Sid Meier’s Pirates. Once you get through the plot-driven tutorial, you’re left at a remote port town with a ship, a basic crew, and a few leads to follow up. Surely the first thing you’ll want to do is sail the world, discovering new ports, meeting new characters, and learning about the many trade goods available. Trading is perhaps the easiest system of all to grasp, and significantly easier than most full trading sims, because the price you buy trade goods at is always the lowest possible and your profit is determined by how far away from the source you sell it. You can also earn money for how much of the world map you’ve filled in, which goes a long way towards encouraging exploration.

You’ll find caves, forests, and other points of interest to put ashore at as well, which is where top-down JRPG wandering and turn-based tactics take over. You can take four of your crew with you on adventures, each with their own equipment, stats, and two classes selected from an extensive job system. Battles commence right there on the same map you’re exploring, and turn into large brawls between your group and sometimes two or three other squads of enemies that might also be battling each other. In addition to the basic attacks of your equipped weapons, each character can also have around a dozen active skills taken from their two job classes. Skills can range from powerful spells and area attacks to pushes and repositioning, so your strategies will very wildly depending on your party composition. What won’t change is the constant shuffle of flanking and back-stabbing characters, since facing rules are very much in full effect here.

Sea battles with pirates, beasts, or unfortunate merchants works in a similar turn-based fashion, but it can be very difficult to tell what fights your vessel is actually ready for. That’s true of all the odd little stops and dungeons you find in your travels, really. Some may contain a small bandit group you can easily dispatch, while others could be packed to the gills with spiny horrors. It’s part of the game’s open nature, that you can easily head off in a direction or make port at a location that you’re completely out of your depth for. The little quests the storyline leaves for you don’t help much in this regard, suggesting you build your fame with a nation by doing odd jobs for them or exploring general areas. I can’t even find the channel the main plot is wanting me to check, despite being a very simple direction from a capital city.

Ultimately I don’t think the story is going to be the main draw here, and it doesn’t really need to be. There are hours of gratifying adventure to be had here, growing wealthy from trading and powerful from exploring. Combat is complicated and there’s tons to learn about the game, but the unique alternate-fantasy setting and vast array of secrets to turn up leave plenty of hooks to keep players invested. One of my favorite features is a Look function that can be used on literally every item and scenery object in the game, adding it to your journal and earning you money based on how rare the discovery is. It’s a feature that alone can keep me coming back to Horizon’s Gate, and with that kind of attention to detail and gameplay, I can easily suggest that others give it a try.

Додано 20 травня.
Людей вважають цю рецензію корисною: 13
7.2 год. загалом
Do you remember your first FPS? I get the feeling that your original experience with the genre colors your perceptions of it, for good or for ill. Dark Forces was my first FPS, and as both an avid gamer youth and a massive Star Wars fan, it was like living a dream. To be dropped right into the Star Wars universe in such a visceral way, exploring Nar Shadda and Coruscant while trading blaster fire with stormtroopers and bounty hunters, was enough to fuel my imagination for years. I’m much older now, more experienced with the FPS genre and less enamored with Star Wars, but honestly that only makes it easier to see why Dark Forces is such an enduring classic.

Long before Rogue One, Kyle Katarn was the Rebellion’s go-to guy for black ops work. After proving himself by stealing the original Death Star plans, Mon Mothma entrusts Kyle with what could be an even more pressing assignment. A general within the Imperial ranks has developed a new kind of automated stormtrooper that can destroy a Rebel base within minutes. The production facilities and deployment methods are a mystery, precisely the mystery that Kyle is brought on to unravel. Partnered with the resourceful Jan Ors, he’ll search the galaxy for clues to defeating this new threat, stopping by several notable locales and stocking up on powerful weaponry to waste the enormous opposition he meets. By the end of the campaign you’ll strike deep into the heart of the Empire, and face off against some of the nastiest characters in Star Wars.

Dark Forces was the first Star Wars FPS, dating back to the heady days of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. It ran on its own special engine, which allowed its fourteen massive levels to be packed with sliding doors, rotating plates, precipitous cliffs, bridges, and even animated ships zipping around some of the areas. These elements are used to incredible effect to sell the player on the sense of infiltrating massive Imperial facilities, blasting through the decks of star destroyers, and exploring futuristic cities with their scale and detail. Levels truly do feel straight out of the original trilogy films themselves, with familiar structures, iconic foes like stormtroopers and probe droids, and chaotic shootouts that would make impressive movie moments on their own. It’s all tied together with moody music selections and perfect effect work for a game set in the Star Wars universe.

Being immersed in such a storied setting is a great accomplishment, but the gameplay manages to impress all on its own. Dark Forces apes much of what made the original Doom great, such as making the player incredibly mobile and deadly and pitting them against hordes of foes that must be outwitted. Imperial soldiers of varying ranks are your usual opposition, posed in such numbers that quick reflexes and a quicker trigger finger will be key to survival. Even your most basic weapons dispatch them in two or three blasts, so their numbers are what make them deadly. Another wise decision was having only one type of enemy with a hitscan weapon late in the game, meaning you’ll be trading blaster bolts with stormtroopers and always have the option of juking or diving for cover. Further into the game you’ll encounter a wide variety of Star Wars denizens, including bounty hunters with lobbed explosives, deadly self-destructing probe droids, and terrifying sewer monsters.

The combination of detailed, immersive levels, many kinds of alien foes, and an overall dark and moody atmosphere makes Dark Forces an intense and thrilling experience that often sits between fully action-packed FPSes and more horror-focused titles. One level filled with tentacled beasts still manages to frighten me as an adult, and the dark streets of a seedy spaceport lend themselves way more tension than a game from 1995 normally would. It can be challenging at times as well, though the three difficulty levels do a lot to even out the curve for players of any skill level. Some enemies are incredibly deadly if you don’t handle them carefully, and some traps are downright insidious. The only element I genuinely dislike are the enemy land mines, which get tucked away in more and more awkward spots as you progress and can seriously mess up your health situation.

In truth, that’s about the only complaint I can level at the game at all. It’s dated, of course, and hasn’t benefited from the glut of source ports Doom has or the remakes Duke3D got. There’s nothing approaching modern display resolutions, and vertical mouselook (which is pretty important here) is only possible through a fan patch released in the last few weeks. But whatever technical troubles you’ll have to overcome are more than worth this singular experience. Few games, even into recent years, have so thoroughly captured the feeling of adventuring through the Star Wars universe. And even fewer have offered such solid, thrilling gameplay to enjoy as you venture forth into that galaxy far, far away.

Додано 13 травня.
Людей вважають цю рецензію корисною: 115
Людей вважають цю рецензію кумедною: 2
3.9 год. загалом
I love narrative-driven games, but they might be one of the hardest kinds of games to get right. If you’re relying on the story to carry players through your title, that story needs to be one of the most compelling and well-written tales in gaming, and everything that supports the story has to be on point. I’m sure that’s what Cloudpunk is aiming for, but between the writing and the voice acting, it absolutely does not hit the mark. And what gameplay there is could almost carry the experience in lieu of the story, except for how sparse and lacking that side is as well.

Rania is a newcomer to the towering city of Nivalis, a nigh-infinite sprawl of super-skyscrapers, suspended walkways, and searing neon. It’s her first night working for Cloudpunk, a courier service that requires her to personally ferry packages across the massive metropolis. But in a city built on secrets, forgotten technology, and crushed dreams, even a single night can be a life-changing experience. Rania will meet a bewildering number of the city’s inhabitants and face some tough choices in how she approaches them and her job. She’ll also find some cracks in the foundations of Nivalis that could reveal much about the origins and nature of the grim place she now calls home.

I have no doubt you found this game the same way I did, led here by the incredible screenshots and promises of a rain-slicked dystopia of misty towers. And it does feel pretty incredible to putter around the city in your floating HOVA, weaving between traffic and spires to locate the nestled neighborhoods where your deliveries take place. The voxel art helps all the characters and locales pop with its chunky charm, though the mix of voxel sizes you start noticing close up does detract a bit from the aesthetics. Nevertheless, atmosphere is probably the thing Cloudpunk does best, because it’s about as close as you get to piloting a spinner in Blade Runner.

That appeal starts to wear a bit thin once you get a better idea of how the game is structured, though. Nivalis is a series of large connected regions of towers and highways, and tucked between them are areas where you can park and walk around on foot. These are clearly marked on your map, along with any shops, NPCs, and collectibles you can find there. It turns out the wonderfully atmospheric driving of the game just exists to ferry you between these nests of catwalks and footpaths, where you’ll actually spend most of your time walking around and talking to NPCs. There seem to be no real secrets to find in Nivalis, as all parking locations and items are right there on your map. Two of the regions you’ll head to are pretty unique and especially atmospheric to travel through, but the rest of the city loses its charm as you travel back and forth and back and forth and back past the same beautiful but purely cosmetic buildings.

So that very much leaves the story to carry the game, which might be the weakest part of the whole package. Rania’s tale is of an outsider coming to a city of miserable insiders, of discovering the pitfalls and excesses of decaying capitalist society, and of plumbing the secrets of a fallen future. This is all fertile ground for narratives to sprout from, and a delivery driver touching so many lives in a single night is a great way to explore that. The problem is that the writing does not keep up with those lofty goals at all, mucking around in surface-level metaphors and political commentary more suited for Twitter takes than an engaging narrative. Characters in Nivalis are parodies of cyberpunk tropes, like the guy who sold his body for a chance to live in finery as a service robot, or the elevator with megalomaniacal airs. All of the themes and takeaways are the most obvious suspects of the cyberpunk genre, offering nothing new to dig into or ponder as you tool about the static city. And the poison icing on this cake is the voice acting, which is so dire that it saps any sympathy or interest you might have in any of the characters, especially with their hilariously mismatched dialects and mispronunciations of common terms.

Games like Cloudpunk are the biggest tragedies, the games with the ideal looks and feels that you want so very much to be good. But then you get into them, explore their stories and systems past that honeymoon period, and find nothing left to grab you. Nivalis is absolutely a city I would love to explore in detail, to climb the decaying towers, question the motivations of its residents, and call my dystopian hell home away from home. But I can’t do any of that here. I can cruise around the city, scoop up collectibles in designated walking spaces, and suffer through painfully sophomoric writing and dialogue. I don’t want to do any of those things, and so I leave this towering, shimmering city of such possibilities to fade into memory. Perhaps someday there will be a more thoughtful exploration of its mysteries, but until then, I’m content to wait.

Додано 6 травня.
Людей вважають цю рецензію корисною: 24
65.3 год. загалом (49.1 год. на момент рецензування)
Minecraft certainly has its faults, but it’s obviously done something right to persist in popularity across the years. It gets harder and harder to see how as new games come out that improve on its designs, and Dragon Quest Builders 2 makes one of the strongest cases for an alternative. There are so many things I can do in this game that I will miss dearly if I try to return to Minecraft, enough that it really just makes more sense to remain in this colorful, adorable world. It’s not like I’ll be done with the story or the building anytime soon, and the more time I spend on both, the more enraptured I become with them.

Years ago, a legendary builder roamed the world and taught people the joys of creation. Since those halcyon days, though, the Children of Hargon have swept the land and undone nearly all of the work that lost hero did. Preaching destruction and subservience, the Children allow no building to stand and no spark of creativity to flourish in their presence. But you don’t care about that, because you’re a bright-eyed builder with the world at their fingertips! Left shipwrecked after a strange storm with the mysterious Malroth and the impetuous Lulu, it’s up to you to build shelters and services, brainstorm crafty solutions to problems, and befriend the forlorn people of the world to restore their long-lost hope. The Children of Hargon won’t just let you ply your trade without question, of course, but you may find yourself surprised where some of them fall on your works.

The story of Dragon Quest Builders 2 is built out of the framework of the original Dragon Quest 2, imagining a world where the original three heroes never came together and Hargon’s minions were able to run amok. While the monsters and music will be immediately recognizable to fans of the classic RPG, the story is very much its own thing and offers plenty of surprises, especially if you recognize the name Malroth. Story is also one of the biggest strengths this game has over its peers in the free-form building and survival genres, because it is very much full JRPG fare across five huge plot-driven islands. You’ll meet all manner of eclectic characters, brought to life with charming animations and top-notch localization, and complete quests that are mostly focused on building things and finding resources, rather than battling. The main story is easily a 60-80-hour engagement even if you focus solely on progression, with plenty of heartwarming moments and cute twists.

Cute is absolutely the keyword for this one, and one glance at the screenshots should show you that much. The modern Dragon Quest style of round, colorful Toriyama art gives the entire game a friendly, inviting feel, and the writing absolutely follows this lead. You’ll still have moments of drama, but the tone is always quick to bounce back with some snappy lines. This dovetails nicely with the pace of the gameplay as well, which is loaded with clear directions for simple tasks that have really no time constraints whatsoever. You’ll always know exactly what you need to do for a quest, with absolutely no pressure to do it until you feel like it. And that fact that you’re raising barns and growing crops for these quests grant them an entirely wholesome feel that never fades.

The constructing is the cornerstone of the gameplay, and is another place where DQB2 outshines many of its peers. At the core of the experience are hundreds of blocks, decorations, and tools to make convincing fantasy towns and castles, all easily sortable in your massive, massive inventory. Placement and interaction distances are generous, especially in first-person mode. Your tools are incredibly powerful for constructing and demolishing, including a hammer that can clear up to five-by-five cubes of space and a trowel that can swap blocks in a flash. On the plot islands you’ll need to harvest the resources you need but back at your hub island, you can embark on scavenger hunts to randomly-generated islands to unlock unlimited basic resources like wood and stone. This above all else really streamlines the creative process as you progress, and encourages massive amounts of creativity when customizing your home island.

Questing and building provide rock-solid pillars for this whole game to stand on, leaving little to really complain about. Probably the biggest limitation to note, especially for folks coming in from Minecraft, is that you’re not building in a limitless world. Your hub island is where you’ll really do all your free building, and even that comes with quests to guide you. You can certainly build on the plot islands but you’ll be even more constrained by plot concerns and limited resources. Building specific room and structure types, defined by size and decor, can also be difficult because they requirements are often obscured until you stumble across them. Some require unlocks from later in the story as well, and considering you’ll be unlocking new blocks, decoration, and even abilities across the entire game, it can be hard to tell when it’s safe to buckle down and build the city of your dreams.

Really these are gripes borne from how massive and robust an adventure this is. It’s an ideal marriage of building, survival, and RPG elements, and comes with important evolutions of each aspect. The building has so many options and conveniences I don’t know how I could ever go back to Minecraft, honestly. And whenever I get tired of building bars and aqueducts, there’s always more charming story to sink back into. Everything is so cute and inviting that I’ll never grow frustrated with any of it, and there are few games that I feel so relaxed with. Fans of Dragon Quest and building games alike will not be disappointed with Dragon Quest Builders 2, and it’s polished enough that newcomers to either will surely be pleased here.

Додано 1 травня.
Людей вважають цю рецензію корисною: 8
3.1 год. загалом
Review copy provided by developer via Curator Connect

When a series loses its way, I’m always eager to see if the developers learn from their mistakes. I was incredibly eager to see this after Hero of the Kingdom III, because even with the love I bear for the first two games, the third was a massive disappointment for me. I’m not sure if that feeling was the consensus, and after finishing The Lost Tales here, it seems that the developers might not have felt they needed to change much since last time. There are enough improvements to get me through this bite-sized adventure, but not enough to give me confidence that the Hero of the Kingdom series will remain a favorite of mine.

You are a lone wanderer, emerging from the wilderness for the first time in god knows how long only to discover a town in the grip of fear. A dragon has been terrorizing the lands, burning homes to ash and devouring livestock. A young orphan named Brent has dreams of felling the beast and earning his place among the people, but all these dreams earn him is ridicule. With nothing better to do, you set about helping Brent on his quest, and in doing so help the people of town with their many, many, many problems. You’re also sure to turn up some dark secrets in your journey, and perhaps find that the villain of this story is not who you think.

It’s true, there’s a neat little twist near the end of this tale, but for the most part it’s a perfectly boilerplate quest to slay a dragon. The other Hero of the Kingdom games got by with generic quests to save family by inserting lots of fun twists and turns along the way, and also by varying up the many, many, many problems you have to solve through trading. That’s not the case with The Lost Tales, sadly, because the plot remains almost perfectly predictable, and your chores never extend past the most common of fantasy tasks. Gone are the quests to settle unquiet ghosts or construct your own tallship, leaving you to farm crops, mend fences, and kill many, many, many critters.

This was the big thing that killed the third game for me, the absolutely inexorable grind of monsters between you and anything of any interest. The Lost Tales gets frightfully close to a similar grind, but doesn’t really pitch towards it near the last quarter and still breaks it up a bit with other tasks. You’re also not on such razor-sharp margins of resources here, meaning you can stock up heavily on potions and power-restoring food to make barreling through a cave of spiders or a marsh of crocodiles go that much faster. One welcome improvement in this installment is a wider variety of ways to get common resources, such as alternate crafting routes in addition to centrally-placed vendors.

It’s also easy to keep track of all the NPCs and services here, because the world you have to explore is really, really small. This will no doubt be a disappointment to fans of the other games, but The Lost Tales is very noticeably smaller than its predecessors, barely clocking in at 3 hours for a 100% clear. I’ll admit this does help keep the monster grinds from wearing out their welcome, but it does make the generic quests and lack of variety sting that much more. You’d think with a game of such limited scope they might take the story or mechanics in new, more interesting directions, but this is easily the most uninspired of the series, as well as the smallest.

If it sounds like I’m not really selling The Lost Tales here, then I’ve pretty much gotten across how I feel about it. After two fantastically fun and chill experiences in the first two games and a huge disappointment in the third, this one kinda lands with a big, unremarkable thud. That being said, I’m not going to recommend against it. I got through it, and I enjoyed it a bit, which is more than I can say for the last game. But really The Lost Tales is here for people who absolutely need more Hero of the Kingdom right now, and don’t expect much for their trouble. If this is the where the series is going, then the first two games might be more happy accidents than marks of something great. I can only hope that the developers are aspiring to more with whatever follows.

Додано 29 квітня. Востаннє відредаговано 29 квітня.
Людей вважають цю рецензію корисною: 5
7.5 год. загалом
I love a good murder mystery, but a murder mystery where you can fix the murders is a new one to me. It’s an interesting twist when finding the cause of death is only the beginning, and tracing the trail of no-longer-bodies back to the source is the ultimate goal. But The Sexy Brutale gets by on more than just a simple gameplay twist and a killer title. These murders you’ve got to undo are wrapped up in a twisting plot, an arsenal of mystical powers, and some incredibly charming presentation. It may not be the total package in terms of gameplay, but the heart that this one has is more than enough reason to get caught up in its mysteries.

The Sexy Brutale is an opulent mansion-slash-casino owned and operated by the shadowy Marquis. He’s invited a crowd of his closest friends and associates to join him for an evening of entertaining diversions, and also death. Turns out none of the guests are destined to survive their visit, and the ominously-masked staff are more than happy to help usher their charges on to the afterlife. But one of the guests, Lafcadio Boone, is informed of the situation by a distressingly sanguine woman and given the tools needed to save everyone. You must guide Boone through the halls and chambers of The Sexy Brutale to undo the many grisly murders about to take place there, and luckily for you, you have plenty of time.

After a brief intro chapter that fills you in on the details of your circumstances, you start your mission at noon on the day of the murders. Events proceed all across The Sexy Brutale as they are destined to do, with guests and staff moving about, talking with each other, and being horribly killed. Boone’s special position in the drama does not allow him to interact directly with anyone; the strange masks that everyone wears react very unkindly to his presence in the same room, unless he is hidden. But what Boone can do is peek through doors, hide in closets, watch cameras, and otherwise spy on the events of the mansion to piece together exactly what is going on. All of the character locations and important details are marked on your map, along with a time slider that helpfully keeps track of when things happen where.

This is of key importance, because at the stroke of midnight, everyone is dead and the drama ends. To avoid this, Boone has a helpful pocketwatch that rewinds time back to the start of the day. Therein lies your gameplay loop: figuring out how each murder takes place, and what indirect actions you can take to stay death’s hand. You’ll take on the murders in linear fashion, due to the new powers you get from each solved scenario and the almost metroidvania layout of the mansion. This also leaves the mansion cleanly divided into areas that mostly keep all the clues and relevant tools together. It’s a fun place to explore regardless, due to the chunky, colorful art style, detailed descriptions, and diorama-style presentation of rooms. Plus there are loads of secrets to find, like playing cards and invitations, that help fill in the story cracks.

There are a LOT of story cracks to fill in, mind you. The tale that unfolds as you follow the trail of murders is an intriguing one, but never dips very deeply into the lives of any of the victims. Only the last murder reveals anything about the overall story, and I must admit it’s one of my least favorite narrative twists but it works fine here in retrospect. Picking up the secrets is almost mandatory to reach any deeper connection with the story, but honestly I found the gameplay and core mystery interesting enough to keep me hooked on their own. The early murders are quite easy to solve (I solved the second one entirely by accident, before knowing the causes of death even), but they do get more complex and more dependent on using your time powers and additional abilities smartly by the end.

I didn’t expect to get so wrapped up in The Sexy Brutale, but once I started I was compelled to see it all the way through. I do think a lot of it is the striking presentation and art style, and just as much of it is in the little world you have to explore here. You’re limited in the first hour or two but once you start finding the secret passages and additional powers, the mansion opens up and plumbing its mysteries becomes a whole new level of compelling. Stronger storytelling would have helped in what’s ostensibly an adventure game, but I’m still quite happy with what’s there. I daresay fans of puzzles and mysteries will be pleased with The Sexy Brutale, especially once the mansion’s true eccentricities reveal themselves.

Додано 22 квітня.
Людей вважають цю рецензію корисною: 36
Людей вважають цю рецензію кумедною: 2
1.1 год. загалом
A lot of indie games right now are all about mashing up genres and themes, and I’m all for it. We’ve got plenty of baseline ARPGs and action roguelikes, so mixing them together with dashes of ever more eclectic designs can produce some fantastic works. That’s how I feel about Dreamscaper, anyway, based on the time I’ve spent in the Prologue. Starting from a striking visual style, this taste of gameplay covers so many corners that it’s hard to imagine the final product not being hugely unique. All that really remains to be seen is how much these systems are polished up and expanded.

Cassidy’s having a hard time sleeping, to put it mildly. Every journey into dreams leads her to a realm of hazy battlegrounds pulled from the waking world, and bizarre creatures from her deepest subconscious. Armed with all sorts of fantastical weaponry, she must crush and cleave her way through these manifestations of doubt and fear to face the greater issues weighing on her heart. Victory or defeat bring her back to consciousness, where she can venture out and meet others in her orbit whom she can chat with for comfort or just a bit of normalcy. But no matter how pleasant Cassidy’s waking hours are, sooner or later, she’ll have to return to the trials of her own mind.

Right now you can explore the Home Town levels of the Prologue, randomly-generated arenas of treasures and threats with a rather imposing boss at the end. You’ll face this place from a third-person action perspective, armed with melee and ranged weapons, magic, bombs, blocks, parries, and dodges. All these capabilities give you more than enough to take on the rather simple enemies, the weak brawlers and slow turrets that populate your otherwise familiar streets. Buying the Supporter’s Edition also lets you explore the City, with some more dangerous foes and a very cool boss, but the base experience will show you where the combat starts out, at least. And it’s solid enough, perfectly functional, but at the moment a little sticky because of how long the attack animations are.

That’s probably my only complaint about the game, though, because the presentation is such a wonder to behold. The dreamworlds you traverse are beautifully detailed with rich colors and stylish abstractions, often leaving me scanning the backgrounds long after the last foe had fallen. And the soundtrack is an incredible work that really fleshes out the grand-yet-familiar feel of your journey, sometimes overshadowing even the action itself. Whatever gripes I have with the simple, sticky combat are wiped away by just how great it feels to run around in the game, especially once you start getting into the randomized weapons and upgrades. The ARPG-style system of tiered gear allows you to kit out with all kinds of swords, hammers, and bows, boost aspects of your attacks to insane levels, and even completely change your dodge into a roll, teleport, and more.

There’s certainly work to be done here, primarily on the feel and variety of combat, and that’s going to be a big sticking point for some. But the base has so much promise that it’s left me very excited for the full experience. As much fun as I had running around in the dreamscape, the little visual-novel-esque sequences in the waking world were almost as much of a draw, with snappy, adorable dialogue and some interesting twists. There’s even a burgeoning crafting system for making your friends gifts, and in turn unlocking new weapons and skills for your adventures. For the price of free you absolutely owe it to yourself to try this one out, and see all the promise of dreamy roguelike action just over the horizon.

Додано 10 квітня.
Людей вважають цю рецензію корисною: 29
3.1 год. загалом
The horror genre is large enough now that it can splinter into increasingly specific sub-genres, such as “games that start out cute and then turn sinister”. I only mention that here because QT seemingly opens in the same place, but then never, ever takes that turn into horror. It’s an absurdly cute, happy, upbeat game that feels like it’s covering for something in these dark and sinister times, except it isn’t. This is the real deal, an earnest, joyful game about finding friends and exploring cute places, and there’s more than enough of both to satisfy anyone’s need for warm fuzzies.

QT, as you might have gathered from the name, started off as a parody of PT, the now-legendary playable teaser Hideo Kojima put out for a new Silent Hill. In that little slice of terror, you explored a repeating L-shaped hall in a perfectly normal home, with each cycle making it increasingly clear that things were absolutely not normal. QT goes the opposite route, taking a very similar hallway but making the situation cuter and cuter with every cycle. To expand on this utterly charming concept for the Steam release, the creator added two more areas to explore, the Museum and the Kouen (Japanese for park), which dispense with the sinister overtones of QT entirely and just give you a happy playground to noodle around in.

I shouldn’t have to explain what it is that makes QT so dang cute if you can see these screenshots, but it’s worth talking about just how complete the experience is. Every single person, animal, or animate thing you encounter here is a happy, adorable, 2D creation straight from MSPaint. They come in every shade of the rainbow, dogs and foxes and alligators and juice pitchers and globular creatures alike. Many of them make goofy squeaks or honks when you interact with them, but in general they exist to populate the world and make it a better place to explore. The environments are similarly charming; the QT segment obviously focuses more on the semi-realistic hallway of PT but still fills it with dance parties and family gatherings to make it feel cozy. Museum and Kouen are crafted from much brighter colors and rounder shapes, completing the impression that their inhabitants exude.

As for what you can do in QT, the main draw is undoubtedly exploration. It’s honestly a huge pleasure just to tool around and see all the happy characters crafted for this goofy thing. And with a game like this, you can be sure there are tons of weird, equally-adorable secrets tucked away to uncover. The interaction options are different for each of the three areas, too. For example, you can jump in Museum and Kouen, but have to uncover a secret to do so in QT. You also get a camera in Kouen that you don’t in the others, which is used for some new interactions. Folks needing more direction in their games than this can look to the achievements, which are expansive and give plenty of hints towards the more obscure (and hilarious) secrets. Still, with no way to “win” or “complete” the areas, the emphasis is much more on exploring and experiencing than chasing after specific goals.

I really think games like QT deserve more credit, because it’s not easy to make something so relentlessly joyful to experience. I could knock together smiley people in MSPaint and stuff them into rooms but it wouldn’t have a fraction of the charm or genuine happiness you’ll find here. The good dogs and sleepy foxes of QT exist to make you feel better, to give you a place to escape to where nothing is wrong and everything is a pleasant little surprise. Games like this can easily become too cloying or memey or twee or whatever you want to call it, but not this one. QT is the real deal for a nice time in cute places, with no shortage of nice or cute things to find as it lifts your spirits just by being what it is.

Додано 1 квітня.
Людей вважають цю рецензію корисною: 16
14.1 год. загалом
A really good adventure game is a singular pleasure, an experience that can touch you emotionally and intellectually like none other. The emphasis on narrative and dialogue can give it such power, but only if done well. The Council is a very interesting approach to the genre, focusing heavily on branching paths and character development, without really compromising on the story. The story it tells is a wild ride on its own, though, and the flaws left by its budget and indie stature definitely color the experience in ways that compromise do. But it still manages that singular pleasure with how earnestly it approaches its subject, and with how much fiddling you can do with the mechanics as you progress.

Louis de Richet is a French gentleman and a member of the Golden Order, a secret, globe-spanning organization dabbling in both politics and the occult. In 1793, Louis’ mother and head of the Order goes missing on the private island of Lord William Mortimer, a reclusive but powerful aristocrat. Louis finds himself invited to a gathering at Mortimer’s estate, not only to find his mother but to participate in a conference between world leaders. His path takes him into the orbits of soldiers, dukes, duchesses, and even the newly-elected President of the United States, as the fate of the world plays out in this opulent manor. Only by navigating the halls of power will Louis find the answers he seeks, along with many more he never expected to uncover.

Originally an episodic release, The Council is split into five episodes of something like 17 chapters all told. During each chapter you’ll be following Louis’ part in the story as he hob-nobs with George Washington, Napoleon Bonaparte, and many other powerful figures. The course of the story is pretty well set for most of the game, which gives it the impression of a third-person RPG at times, but there are several significant decisions you can make at crucial junctures. Most of your control, though, is given within dialogues with the other characters, where you can use your skills to access special dialogue options, interrupt people, notice peculiarities, and bypass parts of puzzles. The stat system that governs these options is another RPG element, allowing you to level up 15 different skills like Conviction and Manipulation and Questioning for use in dialogues.

Using most of your options requires effort points, which are mainly restored via consumables found around the manor. There are several kinds of potions and tinctures, some of which provide free actions or reveal what skill options characters are vulnerable or immune to. Those are particularly useful during confrontations, where you have a limited number of chances to navigate tricky situations and which can have lasting effects on the story. You’ll have to do a bit of searching and skill use just to find items, as well as books you can read between chapters for additional skill points. There’s also a wealth of clues and items that can help you out in the story by granting you new dialogues or simplifying puzzles, so it’s very much worth searching areas thoroughly.

You’re also likely to stumble across additional stories while searching. At the end of each chapter, the game helpfully tells you what tasks you accomplished, which ones you failed, and what your other options were, and you may be surprised at what you can get done in each 45-minute section of gameplay. Talking to characters is the real meat of the gameplay, and each is a fully-realized and interesting individual to deal with. They have their own aims and secrets which you’ll be drawn into, and you’ll have to use everything you know about them to turn them to your causes. The dialogue is mostly sharp and engaging but there’s some definite weirdness in tone and delivery sometimes, hinting back to the studio’s indie European roots. I noticed the female members of the cast in particular have some disappointing arcs to their characters, even if they are central to the plot.

Honestly the plot is probably the main draw of The Council, because it starts out with some tasty intrigue and then just goes absolutely hog wild. For the first two episodes, you’ll be glad-handling with cardinals and royalty, squeezing what information you can from them while trying not to get caught up in their webs. There’s some genuinely good politicking and philosophizing throughout, but there is a turn towards those occult roots in the third episode that heralds the madness that takes place in the last two. For me it only made the game more engrossing, as I had to see just how much crazier things got by the conclusion. Some folks might not enjoy the twists it takes quite as much if the politics and history are the real draws, and I’ll admit to not loving the ending despite loving everything leading up to it. I should also mention there’s a decent bit of puzzling across the game, usually more than manageable but there are two big ones that are remarkably tricky and also rather high-stakes.

The graphics are sure to be a big draw on their own, given the remarkable detail afforded the characters and their environments. Each person is incredibly distinct and detailed down to the last wrinkle, and the estate is peppered with the opulent accouterments of 18th century luxury. That being said, the animations are a bit lacking and the lighting is not as impressive as the screenshots suggest, which lead to some otherwise amazing scenes looking rather stiff. Still, I don’t want to pick on The Council too much because it’s accomplished so much with its scope and budget. Not many adventures can keep me gripped for over a dozen hours, and the many twists and challenges to negotiate meant there was always more to look forward to. Between the wild story, interesting characters, and engrossing character progression, there’s plenty to keep you deep in the ancient intrigues here.

Додано 25 березня.