Posted: Oct 22, 2015 @ 8:24pm

You know how sometimes in movies and TV shows, they have these sequences where the main character gets up and everything's a little bit off? They go around and stranger and stranger things happen, and then a big shocking thing happens and they wake up? Neverending Nightmares is an entire game built around that concept. And if that doesn't sound like much of a game to you, well, you'd be right.

The game opens with your sister dying and you waking up. You lead your character through a darkened, monochromatic house in search of... nothing, really. You proceed through the unsettling halls because nothing would happen if you didn't. Eventually you'll find your sister again, and something horrible will happen to one of you, and then you'll wake up again. The cycle continues throughout the game, with the environments becoming steadily darker and more unfamiliar. This part admittedly works really well, forming a genuinely tense atmosphere. The gorgeous art and animation sets the tone perfectly, and you never really feel completely safe, even after you divine the flow of the game. Neverending Nightmares does a fantastic job of mimicking actual nightmares, at least in terms of aesthetic.

The problem is that there really is no more game to it than that. You'll come across enemies from time to time, but all you can do is hide from them and then scamper past once their backs are turned. There are no puzzles aside from permutations of "find candle to enter dark room" roadblocks. Exploration won't gain you anything aside from some slightly different scenery, as all paths still lead to the same inevitable conclusions. And that's the true killer of Neverending Nightmares, that everything about it is inevitable. Each nightmare is the same hell of wandering dark halls and weathering jumpscares and shambling monsters. Your reward for navigating the gauntlet is some terrible shock scene and a sudden awakening into the next.

It's one of those games that seems to do exactly what it set out to do. Neverending Nightmares does indeed trap you in a seemingly never-ending cycle of wandering halls and avoiding monsters. It just does it in a far more tedious and uninteresting way than your own mind would.
PokeMageTech - ProNetNeutrality Apr 18, 2016 @ 4:44pm
Oh, I thought you actually meant the black-and-white. Also, I'm glad you took the time to reply.
But there are seperate stories for each ending.
Audish Apr 17, 2016 @ 11:58am
I didn't mention the story because it's so insubstantial as to add nothing to the game. There are no revelations that make the dull halls and tedious jumpscares worth putting up with.

"Aesthetic" refers to the principles that define a nightmare, such as the distorted sense of space or persistent feeling of discomfort. It's not just the look but also the atmosphere and sensations conveyed, which are accurate to the general understanding of "nightmares" regardless of your own personal experiences.
PokeMageTech - ProNetNeutrality Apr 17, 2016 @ 9:45am
Your review is reasonable and logical, but also still not helpful. Additionally, you forgot to mention that it does tell a story (of sorts), even if, as Mathas ( youtube.com/user/mathasgames ) put it, it is "light on the gameplay."
It is a bit too much if you ask me, yes, but game devs have to make money too.

Refering to the end of your second paragraph: what are you talking about? My dreams, and the few nightmares (or at minimun, dreams that are [or should be, for some of the adjectives,] unsettling, dark, morbid, or something else similar) that I have (and remember) are in full color. One of the shortest dreams that I remember having was even if full sunlight, but then I thought "I'm dreaming" and woke up. BTW, that one was just me doing something that I do every day- walking to the car.
Faudraline Oct 24, 2015 @ 1:45am
Thank you. I also hope to read more from you. :chiquita:
Audish Oct 23, 2015 @ 8:30pm
Hey, glad you liked it! I had a look at yours, and I like your take on it too. Looks like you're a big adventure/hidden object fan too, so I look forward to checking out the rest of your reviews.
Faudraline Oct 23, 2015 @ 3:02am
Thanks for presenting an honest review for this one. I thought I was the only one who disliked it aside the artwork! :hatchet: