Recent reviews by White Shadow

< 1  2  3 ... 9 >
A nice little point and click game with a decent story revolving around time travel. It's very story-driven and there are interesting developments happening in virtually every chapter. Coupled with the fact that it's only about 3 hours long, means that it's got good pacing and no padding whatsoever.

Most of the gameplay consists of simple logical puzzles, trying to navigate from one area to another. What I enjoyed the most was that for most of the game you have to utilise a portable time travel device in order to go back and forth in time in order to solve puzzles. It ranges from very obvious ones such as "This door is locked in the present; I better go to the post-apocalyptic future where this door is non-existent, go to the next room, and then revert back to the present". And of course it has some puzzles where you need to think for a bit, such as planting a seed of something in the present and to see it grow into a tree in the future, or the opposite, destroying a pesky plant in the present so that it doesn't become an obstructing barrier in the future.

I enjoyed the fair simplicity of the puzzles. They were all logical and didn't involve unrealistic logic leaps that are common to point and click games or needing to require some knowledge of in-game concepts and things. It was all quite intuitive.

In addition to the well-paced story and gameplay, I also have to commend the game on being very atmospheric. Every location had a life of its own, and the post-apocalyptic future areas were especially pretty unsettling due to their lifelessness. I think the subtle ambient music really helped in conveying this feeling. But the overall visuals and level design did a fine job too. There was some voice acting present too, usually in the dialogues with NPCs, though for the most part, you're on your own, and interactions with the environment are not voiced and are more akin to the character's internal thoughts.

Some of the story developments and twists were a little obvious, but overall the execution was well done and it managed to keep things interesting to want you to play till the end. The ending was something you might have mixed feelings on, and personally I find that it leaves plenty of questions open, particularly relating to the causality of time travel.

In general though - a nice, short, interactive story. Maybe a handful of branching choices and more than one ending would've made it even better, but it's fine the way it is too. if you're unsure about getting it at full price, it's definitely worth getting at least on sale.
Posted August 5.
Great game. If you enjoy turn-based tactics games, such as XCOM, Darkest Dungeon, and Worms, then this one should be right up your alley. You handle a crew of robot mercenaries who take on missions from other robots in order to grow their earnings (in water galons) and reputation. And as you get better, you take on bigger threats. The game is broken down into 3 acts, each one with its own story arc, all of which are interconnected, and it can take you around 15-20 hours to beat them all on a single playthrough. Though story here mostly acts as a supplement to the gameplay.

The combat is quite addictive and satisfying. You get to manually aim your shots, so it's not really dependent on RNG but rather your skill. However, some tactical planning is also beneficial, because you need to position your characters in spots where they can have a clear shot at the enemy and at the same time to remain protected behind cover, so some degree of planning several moves ahead really helps here. You start off with just 2 playable crew members, but throughout the campaign, you pick up several others, and each one has its own strengths, weaknesses, weapon preferences, and special abilities, so you get to pick your team and their equipment at the start of each mission. Missions are all set aboard semi-randomly-generated spaceships, where your objectives are either to destroy all enemies aboard, to grab all the loot, or to destroy a specific target of interest (such as a power supply).

There are 5 difficulty levels to choose from at the start, and you can switch them at any point in your campaign (though this does affect your achievements). The Experienced difficulty rating (3rd out of 5) is quite well-balanced for anyone familiar with turn-based combat games, though there were some unexpected difficulty spikes in places, particularly when act end bosses were involved. I personally also found enemies in the final 3rd act to be more cheap than anything, such as teleporting behind you, shooting you, and then teleporting away, making the utility of cover virtually pointless, or the inclusion (and overuse at times, *coughfinalbosscough*) of energy shields, which protect all enemies in an area from any damage unless you first destroy the source of those shields, which most times is somewhere behind enemy lines.

There is a very charming art style, if you haven't noticed yet. The levels are very beautiful and fun to navigate through, and character designs are overall awesome. And the music is also great. Aside from standard instrumental tracks, the game also features a lot of the vocal music by a band called Steam Powered Giraffe. In fact, they're represented in the game as musician robots, often playing their music in various space bars, which I thought was a very nice touch. And voice acting, well, whenever any of your team members speak, there's a robo-sounding gibberish noise that plays with a speech bubble, which is a somewhat unique approach and fits with the overall vibe of the game.

Overall, very entertaining, high quality, and polished indie game. No doubt one of the better indies out there and one that can last you a long time because there's plenty of potential to still find it fun on multiple playthroughs.
Posted August 1.
An excellent game! This is a fine example of how a simple concept can be made incredibly fun with the right execution.
In Peace, Death!, you are one of the Reapers - employees hired by the Death horseman, and your job is to judge clients in the afterlife and send them either to Heaven, Hell, or Purgatory, based on a specific set of rules. It starts simple at first, and then with each in-game day, you get more and more rules introduced, such as anyone with horns or holding a weapon goes to Hell, or anyone with glowing white eyes or holding a Bible goes to Heaven, or anyone who renounces their sins goes to Purgatory, and so on, and you have to keep track of all these criteria.

The whole thing is timed, so you have to keep up some pace with your decisions, and you can't afford to make too many mistakes or else you fail. In addition, there are other events that can happen too, such as you getting to crack safes with smuggled goods, or a phone rings and another reaper asks you for assistance, as if you're not busy enough as it is. Or you might get some sort of a catastrophe occur, triggered by one of the other horsemen, anything ranging from a WWII scenario, to a medieval castle siege, to a scuffle over food in a random mall, and you get an influx of dead people waiting for your judgement, so in those moments you have to be even quicker than normal and get a streak in order to gain extra points/favour.

It's pretty enjoyable and really gets your mind exercising. I think a game like this can really help to improve one's cognitive ability at making quick decisions, because you can't afford to overthink on any of your decisions in the game. It is timed, but it's not unfair in that regard (I never had a timer run out). However, finishing a level in quicker time nets you more points. And as you make progress in the game, you learn which features are the most important to look out for in order to get through your clients faster and with more efficiency.

Some aspects of gameplay can feel a little unfair or feel like a big difficulty spike (introduction of paradox agents certainly comes to mind, as does the introduction of runners who bum rush their way into Heaven without your consent), but you do get used to them with some practice.

At the end of each level/day, you get graded for how well you did, which affects your rank and overall score in the end.

The presentation is superb. The pixel art style is incredibly charming and pleasing on the eyes. Music is pretty great. And the sound effects are well chosen. The number of times you get to click on blood stains, food items, weapons, hats, or sunglasses that your clients come with, and those sounds are always nice on the ears, which tells me they were made/chosen very carefully so not to annoy the player.

And all the references and humour are pretty great. Some of the clients you'll judge will be various characters from games and movies, as well as Youtube personas, real people, or historical figures. Do expect to come across the likes of Donald Trump, Joseph Stalin, King Leonidas, The Terminator, Cyberdemon from Doom, Agent 47, The Bride from Kill Bill, and many many others at some point.

I think with a game like this, you might either get bored in 10 minutes or you might end up enjoying it so much that you can see yourself coming back to it frequently in the future since it's easy to jump into at any time and play for as short or as long as you want.

I would highly recommend it due to its incredible entertainment value, but also for it being a wonderful tool for improving your decision-making cognitive abilities.
PS: There's a DLC too.
Posted July 12.
A nicely executed and highly atmospheric point and click detective game. If you enjoy thriller stories, particularly in a noir setting, then this should be right down your alley. The story contains choice and consequence mechanic and it autosaves all the time, so your choices become fixed. Although the bulk of the story follows a linear path, the decisions you make during it can have consequences later on, particularly towards the ending stages of the game.

In addition to the standard point and click gameplay, you also have 4 attributes to manage: Sanity, Professionalism, Investigation (Focus), and Neurosis. Every decision you make, as well as certain actions in the game, have an effect on those attributes, and in time, having any of those attributes too high or too low can affect certain events and even entire endings. So you better watch those attribute bars on a regular basis.

The story is gripping and keeps you engaged throughout. The characters are pretty relatable for the most part and believable. There are several side plots involved that link up to the main story, which help us to get to know some of the NPCs. The main plot itself strays a fair bit into the fantasy and the occult side of things, so don't expect it to be entirely grounded in reality.

Pretty visuals, fitting dark music, nice presentation overall. There is no voice acting for majority of the game, but the characters do make occasional grunts or one-word phrases.

There are many endings you can get. Though in my view, some are a lot more interesting than others. Without giving any spoilers, there's a big decision to be had near the end which leads towards two different areas tied to the core endings so to speak. And well, one area doesn't require you do much and the ending kind of feels meh, but the other area has more branching paths, in turn leading to several more endings. Not to mention, that second path also allows you to see the fates of some of the NPCs you've seen earlier. So I can't help but think that if you picked the first path, as I did on my first playthrough, you'd get a sort of underwhelming conclusion and miss out on a much better finale.

Gladly, you unlock a New Game+ mode after beating the game the first time, and that one allows you to save at certain parts of the game and reload those parts later if you so wish, so you can try alternate endings this way. Another interesting thing is that the story in New Game+ is kind of much more self-aware and some of the dialogues are actually different.

I enjoyed my time playing through this story, even if at some parts the dialogue drags on a bit. If you enjoy darker stories and choice and consequence, you'd want to add it to your game collection no doubt.
Not much point in writing a review for this game since it's no longer on sale, but thought I'd write it anyway just in case.

Overall - good game. Keeps you engaged and has some nice narrative. I was hoping for there to be more story scenes and for the narrative to take the front seat, and for there to be less of running in the woods and killing baddies in the dark, but those seemed to have been reversed. So expect this to be more of an action-heavy game with narrative only being added to spice it up.

The gameplay mainly consists of making your way through outside areas at night, such as woods, parks, mountains and the like, while the darkness is reigning in the area and causing carnage, killing or possessing people anywhere you go and puppeteering them to attack you. You have your flashlight and a handful of weapons to fight on. The flashlight is an essential tool as you have to focus-shine it on the enemies first in order to weaken them before you can finish them off with a gun. It's a nice idea and overall the combat is fun, although it does get repetitive pretty fast and the game feels quite padded and overdone with very similar battles. At times I'd go for an entire hour with no substantial story development happening, which is a bit of a pity, because I thought the story idea had more of a promise here than the combat.

The overall atmosphere of most locations is pretty nice, and the game also has a very nice soundtrack. Aside from the regular music that plays in combat sections, there are also a few songs by popular artists added in. Most notably - Poets of the Fall, who have a few tracks in the game as a fictional band in the game's world, Old Gods of Asgard.

So, I enjoyed the experience of playing this game, but I think it would've been a lot more enjoyable had it given more focus to the story-building moments and had a bit less padding with identical combat sections.
Posted April 15.
A worthy addition to your base Titan Quest game. Ragnarok is the 5th act of the game, taking place throughout the western European lands (mostly Germanic and Scandinavian) and eventually in more mythical realms from Norse mythology (Asgard, Jotunheim, etc). Overall I'd say it's pretty decent. If you enjoyed Titan Quest back in the day, this plays and feels very similarly to how TQ was back then. Don't expect it to be an upgrade, but expect it to be more of the old that we all used to love very much.

A few things you can expect from this expansion act:
- It's longer than all the previous acts. It's roughly the length of 2 entire acts. So there's a fair bit of content. Some of it might feel a bit padded, but in general there are a lot of different locations to visit. The very first area is still in Greece and in my opinion was unneeded and offered nothing new, but once you get to the second area and beyond, it starts to feel fresh.
- You can create a fresh new character at level 40 and begin this expansion right away without needing to play the previous 4 acts, if you so choose.
- Some entirely new enemies as well as reskins of the old ones. So it's a bit of a mixed bag. If you don't mind some of the enemies being reskins, you should enjoy your time.
- Interesting boss fights. Admittedly, I was hoping there'd be more of them. Most of them are fairly straight-forward and should be easy to topple for any TQ vet, though a few provide a very nice challenge.
- There is also a secret boss that appears only on legendary, as well as a new secret passage that was added in a recent update. (Still need to check out both of those, so can't comment)

There's plenty of new loot, including epic and legendary items, added to the game, as well as thrown weapons that can be used from medium range.
There are a fair few side quests to do. Some of them behave somewhat differently to the core TQ and have more than one way of completing them.
The soundtrack is very nice and has a lovely celtic vibe to it. You get it for free with this expansion's download (in the game folders).

Last but not least, this expansion also adds a new mastery to the game - Runes. From what I've played so far, Rune mastery has a diverse skillset and very fun to use. It reminds me of Dream mastery in a way, since it's versatile and can pair up well with any other mastery.

In general, this is a decent expansion. If you're unsure whether the full price justifies buying an expansion to a 10+ year old game, it's definitely worth getting at least on a discount. I'd say it's worth at least $10, so long as you like Titan Quest. It's nice to see this epic game still being supported after all these years.
Posted March 20.
I was long putting off getting this DLC because the reviews were making it sound very bad, but after asking around on the forums and deciding to finally get it, I am glad that I did. I'm going to break down each aspect of the DLC for those who are unsure as I was.

First of all, you don't have to do the Courtyard missions right away at the start of your DD campaign. When in the campaign screen, you can choose which aspects of this DLC to activate. So you can activate the Flagellant class and the Districts right away and then leave the Courtyard for later if you so choose (or not at all!).

The Courtyard area itself is pretty well made in my opinion and is somewhat different to the main 4 areas in the base game. The main missions that have a boss at the end (of which there are 3; not counting the intro mission) are enormous sprawling dungeons that require more than one entry and a party regroup, so you're not likely to beat each one in a single expedition. They have entirely new curios to interact with, and the torchlight mechanic is not present here.

The DLC also introduces a bunch of new enemies, the bloodsuckers. They usually appear in the Courtyard. However, as the infestation grows, they will start appearing in other areas of the game as well. Some people have said it's repetitive to fight them as there are only about 6-7 of these new regular enemies that keep coming up a lot, but I personally did not find them too repetitive as they come up in different team compositions which might require you to adjust your strategies. Moreover, these enemies also have 2 forms. If they happen to drink blood of one of your heroes, they change into a more hideous form and have a new look and new attacks.

Perhaps the thing that was offputting me the most about getting this DLC is the infamous Crimson Curse, which your heroes can get infected with, which makes them crave blood. However, after having played through this DLC, the curse mechanic is actually not so bad at all. The debuffs the curse causes are very minor (it's more like a double-edged sword actually and can be made to work in your favour), and the blood craving can be temporarily satiated by blood vials that drop very frequently. In fact you can even take your party to a blood-gathering quest to collect many of those blood vials. I did those 2-3 times, and together with blood found from other, more random sources, I ended up having a huge stack of 30 blood vials before I even took down the first Courtyard boss. By the time I went for the final boss of the DLC, this stack of blood grew to 50 vials. So fear not, you won't be short on blood. I've never had a hero die due to the curse.

Speaking of bosses of this DLC, they are challenging. Perhaps somewhat more challenging than most bosses in the base game, though I think it's mostly due to them having 3 and at times even 4 actions per turn. So new strategies are required to approach them. But if you've found the base game very hard already, you might want to delay going into the Courtyard until you've gotten a hang of the combat.

There is only one thing I didn't like about this DLC, and that is the invitations mechanic. The thing about boss Courtyard levels is that you cannot just take a party there. You require an invitation item, and each visit into those giant levels will consume 1 invitation. However, the invitations-carrying enemies do not start appearing until the infestation in other dungeons reaches High, and that takes at least 10 or so in-game weeks. To me that just feels like a pointless padding that forces you to wait for no reason. I would've rather preferred to be able to go into the Courtyard levels at any time, because waiting around doesn't really add any challenge and is only there to waste your time.

Lastly, The Flagellant class is a rather interesting one, though a little hard to get a hang of at first as it's quite different to most other hero classes. The Districts buildings each provide small passive bonuses to specific hero classes once built, though each one requires a tonne of heirlooms, so you might find it a little grindy if you wish to build those.

Overall, this is a solid DLC. If you enjoyed the base game and you found its difficulty just right and want something new, then you should enjoy Crimson Court as well. In some ways it is harder than the base game, but with new things it offers, you have more ways of dealing with the challenges, not only the new ones, but also the old ones.
Posted January 4.
This is a rather hidden gem, I must say. For a game that's going completely under the radar, The Uncertain has a really decent setting, story, characters, and an excellent presentation with both visuals, music, and voice acting.

The story follows a robot called RT who accidentally comes across something rather top secret and unsettling that instantly makes him wanted by the robot police. All this happening in a somewhat post-apocalyptic setting with robots ruling the world after humans have destroyed themselves in wars. Now robots are trying very hard to rebuild. There is a lot of charm to the robot characters in the game and the way they interact not only with each other, but also with the environment, like all the comments RT makes on human inventions and why a certain invention is useful or doesn't make any logical sense at all.

The gameplay is your typical point and click with puzzles. You complete tasks in each area to get the plot moving along and then head to the next area. The puzzles are all very intuitive and logical. I was never really stuck on any or needed to use a walkthrough. Some puzzles took form of some kind of a fun mini-game, such as hacking a safe, matching icons, or some other interesting mechanics. There is also a driving section where you manoeuvre through a forest on a hover car and get chased a couple of times, which was a nice change of pace.

Only a few minor gripes. Sometimes pathfinding can bug out. Like you click to approach a certain object, and on a rare occasion your character gets stuck and is unable to approach it, so you have to manually go around and approach it from another side. Static camera angles in a few places can also get a little annoying when exploring the bigger areas, particularly later in the game. Though these aren't huge issues or anything.

I did think though that the game ended way too soon. I know it's just the first episode, but the ending kind of came in very abruptly and out of the blue and I wished there was more. But I guess we'll just wait for Episode 2 and hope that it will be a little longer. Since it's only about 3-4 hours at most, perhaps it's better to get it on sale, though the game is overall very well made. Don't be put off by the fact that it's been made in Unity. It's got a lot of attention to detail and is rather well polished.
Posted November 14, 2017.
A very nice, albeit small DLC to an already great game. The main addition is the new hero class: Shieldbreaker. She's a Middle Eastern themed female warrior. A very nice concept and a great class to use in battle overall with pretty useful skills, with a bit of everything available, whether it's damage dealing, DOT, piercing enemy armour, or gaining a powerful block that neglects all damage to her for a couple of turns. In addition to her abilities, you will also encounter a handful of new enemies associated with her backstory and a droppable loot item that can be very helpful for other heroes.

I am not a big fan of the newly introduced stealth mechanic which makes some enemies untargetable for the first 2 turns unless their stealth is removed via one of the special skills. However, since this update was included into the base game at the time of this DLC's release, you'll be affected by this mechanic either way, so it's better to have an extra class that can deal with stealthy enemies. Aside from the Shieldbreaker, only 5 other hero classes have a skill that can De-Stealth enemies, 3 of which are pretty poor skills that you wouldn't normally equip to a hero that has them anyway. So you'll be very restricted in what classes to bring to the late game dungeons. I personally think it would be nicer if the devs added de-stealth skills to a few more hero classes, so not to restrict the party setup too much.

A pretty small DLC overall, but since it's pretty cheap and since the new hero class is pretty awesome, I'd say it's worth getting, though not necessary to enjoy the base game.
Posted October 28, 2017.
I am not much into bullet hell shooters, but this one is pretty fun when you just want to unwind and play something real quick for a few minutes.

Very nice, slick controls and an excellent presentation. Visuals are very colourful and some special attacks even provide nice eye candy. The gameplay is pretty simple. You move forward, shooting down minions and then take down a boss. After 5 or so bosses, you face Chuck Norris. After that you go on fighting a new sequence of bosses but at a higher difficulty. The bosses are all based on celebrities, internet personas, and various memes. Each one has their own unique attack pattern, but that pattern doesn't change, so once you've figured out how to tackle it, you should have an easy time.

Throughout each run, you get various drops from enemies. It's either health, armour, or it can be one of the superfoods or new special moves. Superfoods provide passive bonuses such as stronger firepower, higher crit rate, or various stray shots that fire automatically at the enemies after every few seconds. The special moves take role of a powerful secondary fire that has a cooldown and you can only carry one at a time. It's well worth checking out all of them before you decide which ones suit your playing style the most.

In general, this game is not something that's likely to last you hours upon hours, but it's a pretty neat little bullet hell shooter to pass the time. Definitely worth getting on sale.
Posted September 27, 2017.
< 1  2  3 ... 9 >