Recent reviews by lydocia

< 1  2  3 ... 9 >
The tutorials are insufficient to "get" the game, resulting in it absolutely not being fun.

Comments to this review turned off because I really don't have to deal with misogynist remarks.

My husband, who plays this kind of games constantly and is admittedly a lot smarter than me with them, feels the same. If we spend half an hour in a game and can't figure out the controls to get the ship moving, the tutorials or interface are lacking. It's as much a "not recommended" reason as any other.
Posted June 27. Last edited June 28.
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5 stars

➕ Great soundtrack.
➕ Relaxing gameplay.

👍 Absolutely recommend this game. Endless replayability. Super relaxing, yet challenging enough to want to keep doing better. The skins that you unlock after placing a certain amount of tiles are super adorable and a sufficient reward to make me keep playing.

Read my full review on: https://review.lydocia.com/dorfromantik/
Rating: ⭐⭐ 2/5 stars

➕ Custom buildings.
➕ Gorgeous graphics and atmosphere.
➖ Very slow, a lot of waiting.
➖ Limited tutorial.
➖ Ultimately no goal except to fill your island.

👎 Nah. Honestly, it’s not a bad game, but it’s not a good game, either. It’s just boring.
I like relaxing city builders as much as the next guy, but there has to be something to do aside from just waiting for money to drop and level you up.

Read my full review on: https://review.lydocia.com/the-islander-town-architect/

➕ Completionist’s dream.
➕ Super cosy, as the name implies.
➕ All things cute!
➖ Lacks organisational tools.
➖ Object placement has room for improvement.

👍 200% recommended! I am completely hooked.

This is the “Animal Crossing but not Animal Crossing” game that I have been looking for for a long time.

It’s addictive enough, with lots of customisation (clothes and decorations) but not too many options that it becomes overwhelming. There’s endless collectibles, but none that are too hard to get. It remains a playable, casual feelgood game that leaves me wanting more at the end of the day.

Read my full review on: https://review.lydocia.com/cozy-grove/
Posted May 8. Last edited May 8.
I've only just started playing but I am absolutely enjoying myself!

Unlocking more items as I go is what keeps me going.

Bigger review will follow later but for now, definitely recommended!
Posted March 25.
I still stand by the below review, but I'm changing my review to "don't recommend", for the sole reason that there is little to no supervision in the requests that are posted. There used to be honest, genuine requests from people who needed some guidance and kind words. Now all there is is people abusing the letter system to respond to others and chat (not the goal of this game), to request things like "where do I download a free copy of [game]?" (not the goal of this game), questions like "what is your favourite song?" (while a fun chatting topic, again, not the goal of this game). This recent attitude has made it really hard to be dedicated to helping others.

---------------------- previous review ----------------------

I firmly believe that everyone should buy this game (*).

There is so much love, compassion and kindness - and honestly, anno 2021, the world REALLY needs more of that. Share your thoughts with the world, get messages from random, well-meaning strangers and respond to theirs in kind.

Oh, and stickers. Collect stickers.

(*) this isn't actually a game-game, it's more of a messaging service.
Posted January 28. Last edited June 17.
Early access review.

This game DEFINITELY has potential - I love the atmosphere, the banter between characters, the crafting mechanics, the possibilities in different branches of crafting, the idea of automation - all wonderful things I love in this game.

However, it feels monotonous and grindy, as if the game could use a bit of balancing, especially early-game. What I mean by that is, your first 1-2 in-game weeks will look the same: harvest iron, build things, sell things, sleep, repeat. Then you unlock the basement (= the automation part of the game) which is nice, but you can't afford any workers yet, as they cost about as much a day as you just made in a few days time. So you grind some more: harvest iron, build things, sell things, sleep, repeat.

For now, I feel like it's going too slowly for me to enjoy it. It does have a lot of things that aren't unlocked yet and that I'm sure will be wonderful, so I'm looking forward to any updates!

One thing that bothers me endlessly, though: the grid on which paths / buildings are rendered and the grid on which the player moves, are slightly misaligned, meaning that walking in a straight line on a straight path, your character will walk slightly away from the path, meaning you'll have to readjust your orientation every few steps (as opposed to just walking straight ahead). Something I hope they'll fix in the future.
Posted January 26.
0.11 beta - very quick review:

I've spent 4 hours on this game and I'm having so much fun!

It combines the "clean up the world" aspect I like with the farming sim aspect I love.
Exploration is fun and gradual, based on unlocking better tier tools to remove obstacles that unlock new areas.
I like the concept of the story as well: humans literally trashed earth and moved base to another planet, and a few of us are left behind, trying to clean it up. In a sense, it's a reverse Satisfactory: clean up the planet and restore it back to its natural growth. Un-screw what humans did. I like it.

If you enjoy games like My Time At Portia, Stardew Valley, Staxel, Littlewood - any of those farming sims, you will love this.

Bonus points for the interesting and refreshing early access concept: the earlier you buy in, the lower your price. I feel like it's definitely been worth the €3-ish I spent, and I feel like it's going to be worth a lot more, too!

Of course there are bugs - it's early access, we're at v0.11, no one in their right mind would expect a fully functional game at this point, so please ignore the reviews / discussion threads that complain about that.
Posted January 8. Last edited January 8.

➕ Completionist’s dream.
➕ Hilarious jokes, references and theme.
➕ Interesting and funny storyline.
➕ Jumpscares can be disabled.
➖ Minor graphical issues.
➖ Bugs that prevent you from 100%ing the game.
➖ Little interaction with devs.

👍 100% recommended!
This game is any completionist dream. If you enjoy games like House Flipper and Viscera Cleanup Detail, where mucking through heaps of items looking for cool stuff and collectibles is your main goal, completing a catalog while you go, then Barn Finders is the game for you!

Keep in mind that the game still has some bugs, though, that are gradually being fixed. The devs also don't have an official Discord, so reporting your bugs and giving feedback is practically impossible.

Read my full review on: https://review.lydocia.com/barnfinders/
Posted January 3. Last edited January 8.
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 4/5 stars

➕ Very fun and addictive.
➕ Gorgeous graphics.
➕ Challenging, but not too punishing.
➕ Steam Workshop support.
➖ A tutorial would be nice.
➖ Could use a few quality of life tweaks.

👍 I would absolutely recommend this one if you’re into colony sims!

It’s super addictive, fun, cute and challenging enough to keep you invested. It’s one of those games that you restart over and over and over again because you discovered something new that you tell yourself, “I’ll start a new game and do that right from the start, this time”, only to discover something else, rinse and repeat.

Read my full review on: https://review.lydocia.com/foundersfortune/
Posted December 29, 2020.
< 1  2  3 ... 9 >