Recent reviews by baxter

Disclaimer: I completed Fez on the Xbox 360 but haven't finished it on Steam yet!

Fez is an amazing game. You're probably already aware of the key game mechanic – the world appears 2D, but near the beginning of the game you are given the Fez, which gives you the ability to rotate the world around you. Rotating the world gives you the ability to see doors that were at previously right-angles to you, or to reach a platform that was off in the distance when viewed from one angle but is right next to you when viewed from another.

You are given the task of leaving the village and finding 32 cubes and 32 anti-cubes. The inhabitants of your home town have never left the two-dimensional safety of the village, and so you enter an abandoned world, filled with imposing structures and statues of long forgotten cultures.

Playing Fez makes me feel like an archaeologist.

Finding the first 32 cubes requires solving puzzles using rotation, combined with some decent platforming skills, but for the most part these cubes aren't particularly difficult to get.

The difficulty comes in finding the 32 anti-cubes. They require some serious thinking, whether it's deciphering forgotten languages, learning ancient number systems, following decaying maps or chasing owls.

The art-style, dialogue, sound effects and music all complement the gameplay perfectly. The world feels so rich and complete. I can happily sit by the warp gate, listening to the waves and the gently music, watching the sun rise and set.

Fez gave me so much joy to play, I hope you enjoy it too.
Posted September 24, 2014.
Portal 2 is amazing. It's like Portal 1 but with extra portals. You should play it.
Posted March 24, 2014.