0.0 hrs last two weeks / 5.0 hrs on record (3.5 hrs at review time)
Posted: Jun 29, 2018 @ 12:05am

Tank Battle: North Africa is nearly the same game as Tank Battle: 1944. For details on the rather straightforward wargame system, see my review of the previous game. Obviously the big difference is the desert setting and the necessary addition of British units. The missions also seem to have more variations. For instance, instead of simply taking a victory point, you might be expected to take it and defend it for 10 more turns. I haven't come close to completing all the missions in both games, so I don't know for sure, but these missions seem harder and more interesting.

As with TB:1944, the scenarios are not in any way historical. Instead these are encounters between two evenly matched armies on carefully crafted terrain. For a beer and pretzels game, the Tank Battle series does require thought and planning to play well. This is a tribute to the the map design and the AI.

Given the choice between this release and the previous title, I'd recommend North Africa as a more varied and engaging experience.