Recent reviews by jakebasile

Fun soulslike combat with rooty tooty point and shooties, what's not to like?

More fun with friends.
Posted August 23.
Damn this game is spooky.
Posted January 26.
If you like Hitman (2016), you'll like this. It has a couple bugs and some missing content but I'm sure IOI will patch it up. Still a very unique brand of stealth game.
Posted November 13, 2018.
I enjoy using comically large weapons to kill weird monsters, and then use those monster parts to craft even better comically large weapons with which to kill other monsters.

Looks good, definitely taxes my system though, and I have a high end machine. Mouse controls kind of suck but are workable. Online servers are hit and miss but if you can get into a multiplayer match it is a unique experience. Hope they continue making Monster Hunters like this, and release them on PC!
Posted August 12, 2018.
First Person platforming that doesn't suck? Zombies; slow, fast, and mutated? Guns? Bows? Swords? Lots of new content and developers that don't just try to milk money from you?

Sign me the ♥♥♥♥ up.
Posted June 23, 2017.
Have fun trying to connect to their "online services". I've been getting stonewalled by Activision support for over a month now.
Posted December 27, 2016.
Played the beta, got bored fast. Tried this again on sale and got hooked hard. Dark Zone is cool, missions are fun with people. Still too much running around the empty streets though, but oh well.
Posted November 25, 2016.
Do you want to feel metal as ♥♥♥♥? Do you want to not only punch demons in the face, but rip their entire head in half? How about using a super shotgun to blow chunks of flesh from the filth of hell, who dared to enter your world? Do you want to play as the physical embodiment of rage while listening to awesome thrash metal?

I've got the game for you!
Posted November 25, 2016. Last edited November 25, 2017.
I enjoy it. Campaign is fun, zombies is fun, I'm bad at multiplayer but it's still fun. It's not CSGO or TF2, so people will whine. It's not perfect, but it's fine.
Posted November 6, 2016.
I tried to defend this game, I really did. It has a neat concept and was talked up very well. I bought in to the hype. I played it for about 20 hours, but after that it just loses steam... there's simply not much to do. I kept positive, thinking that the devs would continue to support the game and add more stuff as promised. As you can see that hasn't happened as the last patch was almost 8 weeks ago at time of writing.

Combat is laughable bad. Enemies cannot miss so there's no point to moving. The same type of enemies attack you on every planet, and they get mad at you for performing the core mechanic of the game (mining, collecting stuff). It's just annoying and adds nothing to the gameplay.

Space combat is also laughably bad. It is slow, unwieldy, and feels like you're plinking the other ships with BB guns. Your ship shield will take heavy damage which you have to repair in flight by opening the inventory and combining it which needless to say quickly gets old.

And then there's the inventory, which is trash. It wasn't designed for the precision of a mouse so everything must be confirmed by holding the button down. There's no way to directly swap two items, you have to use a third, empty slot. If you don't have an empty slot you're just ♥♥♥♥ out of luck. It's needlessly complex and annoying to deal with.

The planets can be neat, but there is only so much variety to be seen before it gets old. Poison planet, Rad planet, Ice planet, Plant planet, and so on. They're all different but only so much so, and are rarely very memorable.

Look, I don't have too high standards. If I can get am amusing or novel experience from a game I don't really care how long that experience was, within reason, but this game is just full of broken promises and lost opportunity. If it goes on sale for <30 USD I'd say get it if you're interested in an exploration only game. Otherwise, avoid it.
Posted October 26, 2016.