Posted: Oct 22, 2017 @ 7:35am
Updated: Oct 22, 2017 @ 7:38am

I've sat down and tried to write a review for this game about 8 to 10 times but did not know where to begin, so I'll just contribute my review as a sentence with some sparse thoughts on the work.

Neofeud is the most visionary game on Steam evocative of the creator's passion, sparing what Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain could have been. Never have I seen a game produced by such a small studio translate a vision so well.

It is a point and click adventure game wherein each line of dialogue is voice acted, and each scene has a MSPaint charm while expressing pure imagination, for example a chateau's ceiling where there is a painting of nearly infinite patterns, reflecting the royal's fascination with the godhead of technological transcendence.

In sum, Neofeud considers the following:

- UBI controlled slums filled with transgenic and outdated synthetics / androids deemed non-sentients and refuse.
- DRM cigarettes.
- Hypermodernity through a Baudrillardian simulation and simulacra of "consensus reality" interested rulers.
- The sythesis of the contemporary prison and military industrial complexes.
- Scepticism of the motives from those like Elon Musk who promote optimal adjustments to capitalism or late stage capitalism. Authenticity in social movements and how they're frequently co-opted; references to Public Enemy vs Kanye West.
- What dwells in the abyss that is the coming convergence of science, technology, and society.

If any of those topics interest you on a philosophical, economic, or social level and would like those topics paired with often times silly voice acting (for the better overall end results), please play Neofeud.

edit: A lot of soul went into this project, and it shows.
Typhereus Mar 4, 2018 @ 1:07pm
As a philosophically inclined individual, this review convinced me.
Silver Spook  [developer] Nov 11, 2017 @ 6:33pm
James Dearden (creator of Technobabylon) has played and told me liked Neofeud, and Mark Yohalem (writer of Primordia) I believe hasn't played it, but has said some nice things and at least seems interested -- he's busy being an appellate lawyer and running an indie studio, so he can be forgiven, haha. I've recently started a podcast where I speak with writers, creators, game developers working largely in the science fiction / cyberpunk vicinity and I've spoken to both James and Mark in the last month. In fact I just did a podcast with Mark two days ago.

Silver Spook talks with Mark Yohalem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqiAvh0p81A

Silver Spook talks with James Dearden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECLA5PVCcgM
Silver Spook  [developer] Nov 11, 2017 @ 6:32pm
I'd just like to say, Primordia and Technobabylon are my two favorite point-and-click adventures, and I was convinced to move from immersive sims (my first large-scale game was a Deus Ex 1 mod called Terminus Machina) to p&c after being blown away by the virtuosity of both these games in writing, art, uniqueness, etc.. I'd like to think the philosophical and socio-political 2nd-order effects of the topics described by jungle.james are explored to the degree that one can in an adventure game without becoming *too* tedious, but that's up to each player to decide.
jungle.james Nov 11, 2017 @ 2:48am
There is consideration but not at the length or depth you'd find in a journal article. It's more like art, you're given the landscape and framing and you're to interpret.
bliss Nov 10, 2017 @ 11:35pm
I'm interested in the topics you listed, but does it "consider" them with any philosophical insight or depth, or does it merely make reference to them?

I had a look at your library, as I was hoping you'd played Primordia or Technobabylon for comparison. Well, I can confidently recommend these to you at least.