0.0 hrs last two weeks / 235.7 hrs on record (131.0 hrs at review time)
Posted: Apr 22, 2019 @ 11:58am
Updated: Feb 9, 2020 @ 12:44am

Standalone game set in the same universe as Faerie Solitaire.

I have always hated this type of solitaire... Until now. During the course of beta-testing, Faerie Solitaire Harvest has become the best, most-addictive solitaire game I've ever played.

The story is not like what we experienced in Faerie Solitaire. This time we find "shards" of lore that give us a lot of information about Faeverse and its denizens.

Options include separate sliders for Music, Ambience and Effects, plus Full-screen/Windowed and Custom Cursor. Under Game, you can even customize the colors of your suits! For instance, I made mine Violet and Pink instead of Black and Red.

Also under options is a long list of Toggles that you can turn on/off, such as various notifications and popups. Your profile link is located at the top of the title screen.

The first thing you're likely to notice is the music. Ahhh, the music! ♥ ♥ I absolutely adore the soundtrack - it adds such a compelling feeling of magic and wonder to the game.

This is a match-2 (mahjong-style) solitaire game, but unlike every other game of this type that I've played, there can be real strategy involved. Sure, you CAN just mindlessly click on matches if you want to zone out, but there is so SO much more to FSH than that!

The in-game tutorial is excellent, but I'll give you an overview:

During Adventure Mode, you'll visit 40 locations - each of which has 9 hands - and free a trapped faerie at the end of the ninth level.

Match two cards of the same value until you remove all of the cards from the playing field. You have a deck with three foundation spots, plus a "spare" space and the ability to earn wild cards.

Making matches earns you Pure Gold, and at the bottom of some piles you'll find resources, eggs, bags of gold and sometimes even potions!

The deck can be re-dealt once, but it will cost you 1,000 Pure Gold. After that, you'll have to restart the hand (you do keep all rewards you've earned.)

But wait, there's more to it than that, and here's where the strategy comes in. Combos! When you match two like-cards of the same color, you'll start a combo. Keep matching same-colored cards to get bonuses. Suit doesn't matter, as long as the cards are both red or both black, your combo will continue until one of two things happens:
  • You match two cards with different colors
  • You draw from the deck after reaching a 7+ combo.
There are four reward tiers for combos, so go for the highest you can get! As an added bonus, any combo of 7 or more will earn you a FREE redeal!

Another reason to go for combos is that it will fill up your Wild Card meter much faster than non-combo matches. Each time it fills up, you'll earn another wild card. You can have an unlimited amount of Wilds, but the meter will take longer to fill for each additional card.

Your spare space costs gold to use, and goes up in price each time you utilize on that level.

Once a location has been completed, you'll be able to go back to it at any time to do a 'Quickplay'. Replaying a location via Quickplay costs 1,000 Pure Gold, but there are higher resource rewards, as well as a Loot Box to open at the end (instead of freeing a faerie). Be careful, though! If you fail a hand during Quickplay, you'll have to pay a new entry fee and start the location over from scratch!

You will not lose progress in Adventure Mode if you decide to Quickplay a location.

Pets and Resources:

As you progress through the game, you'll find eggs, magic, stone and wood. Make an egg active by selecting it in the Pets menu, and it will earn experience as you play. Once it's reached full EXP, you'll be able to hatch it to see what's inside.

After your pet(s) has hatched, it will need to earn experience 'til it reaches the stage where it can evolve. EXP is not enough, though, and that's where the resources come in! Each pet requires a different amount of magic, stone, wood and gold in order to evolve.

As a side note, I never wanted to evolve my pets in Faerie Solitaire because they were so cute young, but a nice little BONUS that the devs added is that once you've evolved your pet, you can swap the picture back to what it looked like as a young'un by simply clicking on the pet's pic~!

There are 44 in-game and Steam achievements, and while they come easily at first, you're really going to have to work for some of the others!

New Game+

Once you finish the 40 locations in Adventure Mode, you'll enter NG+. I'll tell you right now that one of the achievements is to reach New Game+3, but don't let that scare you! This game is so incredibly addictive that it was never a slog for me. As a matter of fact, I just started NG+4 on my main profile a few days ago! :sunny:

Strategy:

Sometimes I want to try to clear every card on the playing field without drawing from the deck, other times I try to get the very highest combo possible, without thinking about how I'll pass the level. Everyone will come up with their own style, and whether you choose to play it loosely and just click on everything, or whether you want to do a self-imposed nightmare mode (no spares and no wilds) is up to you!

Final Thoughts:

It didn't take long for Faerie Solitaire Harvest to win me over completely. This is a magical, lovingly-polished gem of a game that I absolutely cannot stop playing. My highest recommendation for this one, even if - like me - you think that you don't like match-2 solitaire games!
janner66 Mar 1, 2020 @ 6:32pm
Amazing review. You have done a great job to cover almost everything within the blasted word limit! You really are the expert on this game. I'm going to try and cover a bit about the upgrade system on my review.
genkicoll Oct 4, 2019 @ 1:18pm
It's a completely different gameplay style, Xlax.

Faerie Solitaire (and Remastered) are what I call +1/-1 card games, where you go up or down in numbers until you run out of cards to play.

Harvest is about making number matches, but there is also strategy involved. Instead of number runs, you can make combos by matching suits, regardless of the numbers (ie. two black 7's, followed by two red Kings, and so on).

The storytelling is also much different. Where FS had on ongoing storyline with cutscenes, in FSH, you find lore shards. Every shard you find is a new piece of the history and, well, lore of the Faeverse.
Xlax Oct 4, 2019 @ 5:44am
have you played the first one and if so is it different or better gameplay wise compared to the first? That is my hesitation with it, why buy something I already have, which is most games, especially single playler games.
ᴱᴳ LyndaSmiles Apr 24, 2019 @ 4:40pm
Thanks for your excellent detailed review! Added this gem to my wish list since I loved playing Faerie Solitaire years ago. I will start playing more games i have from this excellent developer already in my library. :good:
genkicoll Apr 23, 2019 @ 2:14pm
@MR. Raul :lol: Only the Pure Gold I earned in-game!
MR. Raul Apr 23, 2019 @ 12:19pm
"A great benefit of NG+ is that the drop rate increases, which will really help when trying to get all of those pets evolved!"

Thxs for that little but important information, just what I were looking for.
Great in-depth review as well, I bet you got a bag of Pure Gold from the devs ;)
Chaoslock Apr 22, 2019 @ 5:23pm
Dang! That was a superb review! Are you sure you aren't a sales woman? I'm not into these kind of games but you make me wanna try it! Very good :wftolaugh:
Zilto Le Dodo Apr 22, 2019 @ 2:10pm
Thanks dear for this review
cheshirecatgirl Apr 22, 2019 @ 1:05pm
I was just removing games from my wishlist!
I could say that you are NOT helping! :steammocking:
But....let's stick with: I made room for this one! :steamhappy:
Excellent review, as always!
Uuver Apr 22, 2019 @ 12:56pm
This was an awesome review :D Thank you genki :D!