0.0 hrs last two weeks / 1.6 hrs on record (1.3 hrs at review time)
Posted: Jun 24, 2018 @ 4:29pm
Updated: Jun 24, 2018 @ 4:32pm

If you are super into the Jeff Minter's works and Llamasoft more obscure stuff, if your computer in the childhood was a Commodore 64 and you are missing these days, if you follow the contemporary score-chaser arcade scene and 'Don't Die Mr. Robot DX', 'Death Ray Manta SE', 'Forget-Me-Not<R' or 'Heiankyo Alien 3671' are amongst your favorite games, then 'QUACK ATTACK 1985: TURBO DX EDITION' will completely blow your mind.

And in a worst case scenario, if you don't enjoy the game, you can use it to test your tolerance to epilepsy inducing stimuli. Simply, if 'QUACK ATTACK 1985: TURBO DX EDITION' don't give you seizures, believe me, you can consider yourself inmune to this illness, it doesn't matter the f*****g intensity of any future exposure to flashing lights.

With a killer soundtrack in a Chipzel tier of awesomeness that sounds like a rave version of 'Super Hexagon', while you control a duck with the most psychedelic pixels in a contemporary game, and there are geese, and eggs, and what not. In a game with the same level of eccentricity and love for the animal world that you can see in your Jeff Minter's standard game.

And man, the mechanic is so clever. Like a competitive version of 'Pac-Man' mixed with the classic 'Snake' in which the most important part is how to steal the eggs in the back of your adversary. With the only negative thing that I can say being that I really, really, really miss a local competitive 4 players mode.

But the scoring system is so refined and the action in the single player mode so intense that I can forgive the absence of this mode or some unpolished things like forcing you to use a keyboard to navigate through the menus, even if you are using a controller to play.

And damn, by looking at the rest of releases of Attack Mountain, I can spot 'FROG X BIRD', a game that like the modern cult classic 'Killer Queen', it takes 'Joust' as its main inspiration, with a lot of crazy modes designed for 4 players couch gameplay.

So once we have reached this point I can only say, why the amazing works of Attack Mountain have never been selected for the Fantastic Arcade festival?

'QUACK ATTACK 1985: TURBO DX EDITION' is an instant score-chaser classic in the same magnitude as 'Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+'.
Kylo Ded Jun 24, 2018 @ 8:00pm
Holy Cluck! I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Add to Cluck!
Ryan Dorkoski Jun 24, 2018 @ 5:24pm
That's great to hear. I'm excited to jump in!
Epilexia Jun 24, 2018 @ 5:23pm
@Ryan Dorkoski: I'm so addicted to this shit that I'm creating a custom controller profile mapping all the necessary keys to introduce my initials, to play this in a continuous loop without abandoning my gamepad.

The thing that I hate the most of discovering a new obscure score-chaser game, easy to control but hard to master, is that is impossible to find in Youtube some videos with someone playing this with a good strategy for scoring.

I'm still experimenting, trying to figure the best approach. Go for the geese before they surpass your number of eggs. Or letting them to accumulate eggs, and then trying to steal them by abusing of the boost movement.

Like totally addicted to this game. And once you reach the 30,000 points mark, the level of psychedelia is bananas. I don't want even think what can happen starting in the 100,000 mark. Giving that you can only unlock the next mode by reaching a score of 200,000.
Ryan Dorkoski Jun 24, 2018 @ 4:50pm