Posted: Nov 16, 2018 @ 9:58pm
Updated: Nov 17, 2018 @ 12:52am

It looks and feels good, but the UI and amount of information it gives you is terrible. No description of character abilities - when I use my character's ability, called "step back", it makes the words "step back" appear on the screen and I can't tell what, if anything, it actually does. The crosshair is a light gray color that's too hard to see against the largely gray backgrounds and there's no way to change it. There's a brief description of what the items do when you pick them up, but no way to see what they do after that. There's a way to "store" additional weapons that's not really explained - I can press the 1 key and I get an icon of that weapon on the UI, but I don't know what that does. According to the control mapping options, I can press tab to cycle weapons, but nothing happens when I press tab.

You can only hold one gun. This seems strange in a game that seems to relish the lack of realism in old first-person-shooters. You can run at 90 miles per hour, you don't have to reload, you can shoot from the hip with perfect accuracy, all this is awesome, so why the hell do I have to choose between a pistol and a shotgun? How limited modern shooters are with regard to weapon loadout is one of the worst things about them, so you would think a game that seems to revere classic shooters would get this right. I have nine number keys, I know how to use them.

Finally, pick-ups blink out of existence if you don't get them within a few seconds, which is bizarre. I've never seen this in any classic FPS. This isn't an arcade game, you're not trying to suck quarters out of me, and it just seems unnecessarily punitive, and well, not fun. I don't want to have to scramble to pick up health and ammo. I didn't have fun in the first hour and don't see a reason to keep playing.

tl;dr:

buys Bunker Punks

You can only hold one gun, with limited ammo, and ammo drops disappear if you don't pick them up immediately

refunds Bunker Punks
Developer response:
shaneneville  [developer] Posted: Nov 20, 2018 @ 11:27am
Sorry you didn't like the game. I just wanted to clarify a few things for people who might misunderstand the game based on your review.

As a roguelike, there are a lot of systems that unlock and expand as you play through a run. In Bunker Punks, this is done by building and customizing your bunker. You reach the bunker after finishing the first two levels. I'm sorry that you didn't play long enough to experience this part of the game.

1. You can hold 2 weapons. The ability to hold a second weapon is unlocked when you build the Firing Range in your bunker.

2. Storing weapons puts them in your backpack, so that you can sell them later or save them for other members of your gang. You can also unlock more slots in your backpack later in the game.

3. Pickups disappearing is a design decision and it's intent is to keep people moving. We know this is divisive, sorry it isn't your thing.