Recent reviews by Kherr

Full disclosure - I was given a free copy of this game prior to early access so the Steam version does not reflect the total amount of hours I have played in Wrack: Exoverse.

Wrack: Exoverse plays like an old-school FPS game with a modern twist. You play as one of the four main characters (that you have to unlock beyond the initial character, Kain) to defend your beacon that will be targeted and attacked wave after wave by relentless bad d00ds. It's up to you to stop them via placing an arsenal to defend said beacon... and contributing to the defense yourself directly. Playing like the arcade titles of old you have to hack, slash, and blast your way through each wave all while protecting your beacon so you can advance to the next level.

The controls feel satisfyingly sharp and tight while being incredibly simple. Each weapon has pros and cons and you have to manage your arsenal both on your person and in your defenses that you build to best suit your play style. Speaking of defenses, you'll be spending some time thinking about how you're going to place them in order to best defend your beacon, and you'll have to manage your money to afford those defenses along the way. How do you make money? Simple - kill the bad guys as fast as you can. You have a combo meter that starts after you kill a couple of enemies in rapid succession, and when that combo meter runs out you cash out. The more you kill as fast as possible, the more you make.

The music in this game is phenomenal, and I hope they relese a soundtrack to it sometime in the future, I'd gladly pick that up. You get so pumped when playing this game thanks to the soundtrack it's ridiculous.

There are leaderboards you can climb to show how crazy you are at defending your beacon, though I'll leave how you climb said leaderboards a mystery for you to figure out, because they aren't tracking what you might think... I don't wanna ruin that for you!

This game is a blast, pure and simple, and I'd highly recommend it.
Posted March 6.
So I'm going to go ahead and throw my two cents in here regarding this game and it's recent... update...

As you can see I have plenty of hours in this game (at the time of writing this, 511.0 hours to be precise). While I love the way the game plays and I do honestly enjoy the new map and to some extent some of the stronghold system, I'm not enjoying this latest update completely... So let's break this down, yea?

New Map

Z1 is the name the original map is commonly referred to. It had everything - wilderness, cities, construction sites, housing development, etc. There was a decent spread of content to wander around, looting, and exploring, etc. One day the developers decided that we were getting a new map called Badwater Canyon (BWC for short) and told us about it on reddit -
https://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/ - that we were getting a new map because of limitations regarding the old one and that it would just be easier to make a new map altogether. Ok, as far as I'm concerned that's fine and no big deal, just as long as it has all the stuff that Z1 has (cities, wilderness, dam, construction/housing projects, etc) - however many other people didn't agree or think that way and voiced their displeasure at this direction/change. They were ignored.

The day before we were to get the new map available for play in the test servers we were updated that it was actually only going to be 1/4 of the new map's total size and we were getting the emptiest region first. Say what? When I saw that I was honestly extremely angry and so were a lot of other people.

After some time playing around on the new map on the test servers I decided that I liked what I saw of the new map, but I wasn't too thrilled about the fact that there were less than a small amount of points of interest scattered around this quadrant of the map. At this time there are less than 15 PoIs available for you to explore and loot, etc. I'm not including multiple of the same PoI as separate PoIs, and only a couple of these PoIs are larger than a building or two on their own in the middle of nowhere. These PoIs are super tiny. There are no cities in this quadrant of the map as it was said, by the developers, to be the camping/wilderness section of the map. How convenient.

Once you finish exploring it the first time around, you'll notice it's very empty and becomes very boring in this quadrant of the map. This is what was pushed to the live servers in leu of the original Z1 map. Badwater Canyon is unfinished and should have never been pushed to live in this state, full stop.

Stronghold Base Building System

This is the part that has everyone up in arms and I'd have to say I finally agree with them at this time. Basically, in Z1 - you could build almost anywhere you wanted without worry. Now, in BWC, you can ONLY build in pre-determined locations with pre-determined land sizes (1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x) on plots of land called 'Strongholds' that you have to purchase with 'eagle coins' that you can only get by selling items to the NPC vendor located in the new Military Base spawn-point that you can't loot. The brand-new building system is the ONLY good part about strongholds as it's super modular and allows you to build almost anything you want... within your pre-determined land size.

You should be able to build anywhere you want to. Being limited to a pre-determined location is bad - If the server's very limited amount of stronghold plots that are available are consumed, then we get no new players unless they happen to know someone with one of those plots that they can team up with.

In Z1 you used to be able to build a shack in the woods if you didn't want to build a base, but now the ONLY way you can securely store your stuff without a stronghold is in a loot stash that holds a maximum of 7500 bulk. With guns like the AR-15, Shotgun, and Sniper Rifle taking up 1500 bulk apiece and sidearms taking up 300 bulk apiece (yes, that 1911 or M9 takes up the same bulk as A CAR BATTERY) - good luck storing anything worthwhile in that stash.

Vehicles

I don't understand why EVERY SINGLE ZOMBIE APOC game cannot get this right. Back in Z1, you could find wrenches everywhere, though very rarely later on. These allowed you to REPAIR your vehicles in-game. Of course, some people took this to an extreme and would simply get all the vehicles on the map and store them in their mega-base, hoarding them. Naturally this upset a lot of people, myself included, because you cannot hurt vehicles in PvE via shooting them or whatever, no. The only way to hurt a vehcile in PvE is to drive into something or over something - like a zombie. Running a zombie over causes 1% condition damage. So if someone was hoarding all the vehicles there wasn't a thing you could do about it.

In their first response to the amassing complaints regarding vehicle hoarders, the developers decided it would be a wonderful idea to make it so that vehicles take 1% condition damage every 30 minutes no matter what, make wrenches super rare, and make it so that they could not be repaired like you used to be able to (all prior to BWC). That's right, after 24 hours of sitting in your base your vehicle would be down 48% condition, and at 19% condition they caught fire and exploded... how wonderful. They made a few other horrible attempts at combatting vehicle hoarders in PvE, but finally, they decided with this update to REMOVE WRENCHES ENTIRELY FROM PvE. That's right, you can no longer repair your vehicles, and they still take 1% damage every 30 minutes. What a wonderful solution, right? /s

Food/Water/Survival Element

For a long time now (even back in Z1) all resources you need to survive (food, water, ammo, etc) are entirely way too plentiful. This makes the survival element of the game non-existent. There is no real way to struggle for survival except when you're a new player with nothing but your shirt on your back and your map in your hand. Don't even think for a second that this is an actual survival title.

Zombies/AI

So, how about the zombies? They're good, right...? Nope - Zombies, wolves, and bears (the only threats in the game in PvE) are all horrible at pathing - they get close to you and start circling you while attacking before stopping in a spot like they should have when they reached you, and let's not forget that they are capable of phasing through trees and rocks while running up to you, so yea. Oh, and unless you get surrounded by a horde of zombies - they're not a threat at all. The bears and wolves pose slightly more risk, but not that much more.

Summary

All in all I'd avoid this game for now, unless Daybreak Games gets their act together this is going to fall to the wayside to titles like Dead Matter.
Posted August 27, 2017. Last edited August 27, 2017.
Bethesda: I don't think anyone could screw up as badly as we did with our modding community for Skyrim...

Take Two Interactive: Hold my beer.
Posted June 15, 2017.
So. Definitely had a ton of fun with this one. A little short, but well worth the $9.99 because you can play it again and some things change, but not a whole lot. If there were extra missions or DLC, I'd get that in a heartbeat. Just... get this game. You won't be disappointed.

Also... 11/10 would get hacked by an NPC again...
Posted October 5, 2015.
Installed a tougher dragons mod and got facerolled while ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ my greaves and getting called Shirley by the guards who for some inexplicable reason all have had some form of kneecap surgery and always cringe when I walk around from a distance with a bow.

11/10 - would get called Shirley by more guards again.
Posted February 23, 2015.
While this game does not scare me at all (besides the obligatory jump scares that happen) the gameplay is unnerving and actually quite fun. I would recommend this game to anyone, except those easily scared.

8/10
Posted February 23, 2015.
This game is a lot of fun to play and is definitely something I would recommend to everyone. I didn't think I'd enjoy the game as much as I have. Everyone should add this gem to their library. :)

9/10 - Would develop a new rating/title/genre combo again.
Posted February 23, 2015.
I really wanted to like this game as a friend bought it for me out of the blue... I really wanted to give it a playing chance... but... it is really confusing and does nothing to explain anything... 20 minutes in I had to stop because I would rather have been watching paint dry - that's about the level of excitement this game brought to my table. I haven't thought about the game since until I saw it in my library... months later.

Don't get me wrong, this just isn't the game for me and that doesn't mean in any way that I think this is a bad game - I just don't personally care for it and would rather have something a little more engaging. As such I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone, but don't let me be the deciding factor keeping you from a possibly great game.
Posted February 23, 2015.
Do you like pinball? Do you want to play the old tables you used to in the bar/arcade/bowling alley and they just aren't around anymore? Then this is for you. The tables look and feel like the original tables, they sound like the original tables, and they are definitely just as fun as they used to be.

Anyone into pinball - GET THIS IMMEDIATELY.

10/10
Posted February 23, 2015.
This game is definitely a lot of fun and I would recommend that anyone reading this pick a copy up for yourself - especially if you liked the oldschool DOOM series. I love that series, and Bobby Prince who did the music for it also does the music for this as well. None of the music in this game is as awesome as from DOOM and DOOM 2, however the music is still really really good - definitely engaging for the game's feel and theme, and still awesome to rock out to. The gameplay reminds me exactly of oldschool arcade style shooters and if you miss them this will fill up that empty void in your heart.

Get this game, you will not be disappointed.

9/10 - would try to combo... nope. Lost it. Oh... would try to combo again.