1962

Recent reviews by Jepp

Had a lot of fun with this. Obviously this is in early access and there are a few things that could be improved, but what is here is pretty solid already. The game is fairly short, which I don't really mind, but I also didn't re-attempt levels for higher scores or look at the editor. I also didn't try any of the multiplayer stuff, but looks like it has both local and online play. I also didn't take a look at the sandbox mode, which can be activated on any level.
I only really heard one or two music tracks throughout, and I think the game could benefit from having a bit more diversity there, but it's only a minor thing in early access.

Another thing is the price. I think whether it's worth the full price will depend on how much you will want to play around in the game. I reckon if you'd just want to play through each level in the game once, it isn't worth the full price, but maybe pick it up on sale when you get a chance.

Regarding Achievement Hunting
All achievements are pretty easy, with maybe one or two exceptions that will maybe take a few extra attempts. Keep an eye out though, as it looks like they're planning on adding more achievements.
Posted March 18.
I had been keeping an eye on this for a while, since I'm a bit of a sucker for a good hard platformer. From everything I saw prior to the game's release, I knew it was going to be fantastic. When I got my hands on it, I realised it is actually better than I anticipated with every aspect of the game having a ridiculous level of polish and attention to detail. It is obvious how much love went into making this game.

With regards to performance, everything ran extremely smoothly with no stuttering or crashes.
The story is great too, with memorable characters that are easy to care about. There is a lot of content to play through. I thought I finished it all probably two or three times, but there was always more to play! The music and sound is also fantastic.

I really didn't go into much detail at all on each of the aspects, but the whole game really does scream quality.

Regarding Achievement Hunting
Unlike many other difficult platformers, there are no achievements requiring zero death runs or speedruns of levels despite that challenge being a feature of the game. This makes the overall 100% easier, since you don't need to worry about how long it takes you to beat content. However, the game is still difficult, and it will take you quite some time to get through all of the content.
Posted February 16. Last edited February 16.
Regarding the Performance
Having looked in the discussions and other reviews, many people seem to have a lot of technical issues. Personally I spent over 20 hours in the game, including beating all the story missions with absolutely no issues at all. That being said, after those 20 or so hours I got two random crashes while completing challenges in the open world. Since progress is saved after completing any objective, I didn't actually lose any progress from the crashes, but it's unfortunate they started happening.
Though again, running through the actual story was flawless with no stuttering, crashes or loss of progress.

Regarding the Gameplay
As for the rest of the game, it's all pretty solid with a good story, memorable characters and more than a few genuinely funny moments. If you've played any previous LEGO game, you generally know what you're getting into. However, it may be important to mention that it is an open-world game similar to LEGO Marvel's Avengers, rather than more linear mission areas like LEGO Lord of the Rings. I didn't play co-op but I understand each player can independently explore anywhere in the city. (Still local co-op only)

The biggest issue I had with this game is probably the awful AI of the other drivers in the city. Cars will often speed out into intersections or change lanes directly into you. They also try to stop when you are around, which often seems to result in you crashing into them anyway. There are a few driving sections throughout the story, and it seemed inevitable for me to crash at least once in each part. Keeping this in mind, the driving is usually pretty generous and crashing once or even twice will never result in you failing the mission.

Regarding Achievement Hunting
If you have ever gone for 100% in any other LEGO game, then you know what you are getting into. If you haven't, there is so much to do in this game, and you have to do all of it to get the achievements.
This game is not hard. Time trials and other timed challenges give you a lot of leeway so you can easily beat each one within a couple attempts.
There a few other achievements which require specific actions as well, which aren't too hard to go for either.

If you're going for this 100%, you're in for a long haul. Good luck.
Posted February 15. Last edited February 15.
Another fantastic game from the brain (and notebook) of Fred Wood! I've been following this for a while after loving his previous game, LOVE.
The platforming control is fantastic once again, and there is a cool grading system at the end of the game that reminds you how many times you died throughout.
And to top it all off, the soundtrack, once again by James Bennett is superb and complements the gameplay very well.

This is a great game whether you played and enjoyed LOVE as I did, or entered into the series through this game.
Posted November 7, 2017.
Cross of the Dutchman looks real nice and has solid mechanics.
Posted April 16, 2016.
This game runs fine on my GTX 970, and I just beat the game today. This is truly an incredible experience.
Posted June 26, 2015.
The voice command control scheme works really well, with a decent alternative if using voice isn't your thing. The story is fairly short, but the quality of it and the voice acting easily makes up for it.
The characters react and interact well with what you say.

There is also a War Room mode where you can test out strategies, weapon combinations and custom commands you've set.

Along with those features, the soundtrack is really great. Big Giant Circles and Ronald Jenkees did a fantastic job on it and it fits the theme of the game very well.

I look forward to Iridium Studios' next game, as well as spending more time with this one.
Posted February 24, 2015.
Half-Life 2 is one of those games that everyone seems to have, but not everyone has played. I still get surprised whenever I come across someone who spends a lot of time playing games, but hasn't finished (or even played) Half-Life 2.

The story telling in this game is fantastic. The story, characters and levels are well developed and it's clear just how much time went into making the game. I love all the detail put into level design, character development and design, and voice acting.

Some people think the graphics are a little dated, which is true. It's a game from 2004. But if anything, I think it adds to the feel of the game. Additionally, what game will never have it's graphics dated? Technology changes people, gosh.

If you have Half-Life 2 in your steam library but haven't yet played or are yet to acquire a copy, I strongly recommend giving it a shot. You won't regret it. You'd better be quick though, you'd want to finish it before Half-Life 3 is released!

And of course you've gotta love some ABHing, wall climbing and grenade jumping while speedrunning!

Super highly recommended!
Happy Life Halving!
Posted April 17, 2014. Last edited November 26, 2017.
A nice, short game to play when you have a little time (and cash) to spend.
A good mix of puzzle, timing and reaction gameplay brought together to a small, but well built game.

Recommended.
Happy gravity wells!
Posted April 17, 2014.
Even since I first saw the trailer of BIT.TRIP RUNNER, I was pretty much a fan of the genre, series and developer. When I first heard of Runner2 being released, I knew that I would get it, preferably as a pre-order. And get it I did!

At first I wasn't sure of the drastic change of the graphics style with the 'added dimension', but after pretty much the first map, I was sold.

The controls are responsive and easy to get a hold of. The gameplay is addictive, if a little repetitive. The content is solid, with 100 normal levels + a few retro ones, a bunch of different playable characters, mutliple difficulties, and collectibles!

The checkpoint, and having it optional, is a very good feature in Runner2. It lets the newer players feel less cheated when bonked near the end of a level and gives experienced players the option for more of a challenge along with a large point bonus.

I highly recommend this game, especially to fans of the original game.
Happy running!