Posted: Aug 17, 2018 @ 8:57pm
Updated: Aug 17, 2018 @ 8:58pm

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

Foreword
I was gifted Pocket Kingdom by a friend, due to it being on chrono.gg's[chrono.gg] coin shop for 3000 coins. Special thanks to the devs/publishers for making that possible.

Quick Review
Pocket Kingdom was an absolute delight to discover, unveil and figure out. I had low expectations about this title beyond its sweet pixel art and puzzle premise. Less than one hour in, I realized I had approached it wrong: Pocket Kingdom goes above and beyond being a thought-inducing puzzle game by packing its universe with cool tunes, an interesting back-story and surprisingly deep lore.

By exploring its intricate map one screen at a time, Pocket Kingdom gives you a fair amount of freedom regarding how to proceed with its puzzles. For example: one of the items you can collect are regular keys. You can use them on doors and chests, but you can absolutely decide which locks to use it on first, and the game is very generous and smart about where it places its keys.

Pocket Kingdom does have a handful of downsides, however: it's short, at around 6 hours long; the NPCs are mostly repetitive and contribute little to the story; the main character lacks charisma; the map can be absolutely infuriating not only due to a poor design choice, but also due to recurring bugs.

Conclusion
All things considered, despite the many puzzle games I've played, Pocket Kingdom is a title that left an impression on me due to the way it juggles with interesting lore, cute Easter eggs, fun achievements (seriously, totally unexpectedly awesome) and gorgeous pixel art.

I recommend Pocket Kingdom to anyone interesting in cracking a few puzzles, exploring an interesting floating island and stumbling upon a few really fun secrets.
♣ Coraline Castell ♣ Aug 18, 2018 @ 8:05am
@Billy thanks! I was really tired but really wanted to put this review out there. I love that quote too!

@Dieter haha! I have been on quite a few flight simulators. They're super fun, so that's hilarious. :butterfly:
xvii-Dietrich Aug 18, 2018 @ 3:10am
“Once you have tasted flight simulators, you will forever turn on your computer with your mind turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” -- Anonymous virtual pilot.
Billy_Brightside Aug 18, 2018 @ 1:34am
Nice compact review. The beautiful da Vinci quote was the icing on the cake. :HappyPCGuest: