Posted: Jan 27, 2019 @ 11:04am
Updated: Jan 27, 2019 @ 11:05am

“you just can't differentiate between a robot and the very best of humans.”
― Isaac Asimov, I, Robot

Foreword
I'm an Amanita Design enthusiast and have played every single one of their games -- two of which rank among my all-time favorites. This was my second playthrough of Machinarium, the first was in 2010.

Quick Review
It usually doesn't make sense for me to write negative reviews, especially on acclaimed 10-year-old games. Whatever had to be learned from said game's mistakes has already been learned. In the case of Amanita Design, proof of their technical growth since Machinarium can clearly be seen in their latest works, especially the well-rounded Samorost 3.

My 'negative' review stems for the certainty that Machinarium has already been showered with all the praise it deserves, and the feeling that perhaps not enough has been said about the faults it does have.

Although the music and graphics presented in Machinarium hold well against modern scrutiny, the same cannot be said about several of its puzzles. In order to transform a little robot's quest to save his girlfriend into a point and click adventure, Amanita Design saw fit to clutter Josef's tale with everything they could, from solid puzzle-solving to Space Invaders.

It was the overwhelming amount of purposeless puzzles that finally pushed me away from giving Machinarium a recommendation, especially its two final ones. One of them requires the player to move their mouse around the screen and shoot a total of 30+ obnoxious little bad guys for no coherent reason within the story, and the second requires a musical ear and quite some back-and-forth -- that, or a guide.

By themselves, weak puzzles with the sole purpose of stalling players would not cast the game in such a negative light if they were few and far between. However, when frequently presented in the context of a bland story, not much can be said on my end to defend Machinarium in the face of so many other wonderful point and click games.

Conclusion
Machinarium has aged well when it comes to graphics and music but, years later, most of its puzzles feel more like player-stallers than rewarding challenges.

With the rise of point and click games in recent years, Machinarium is overshadowed even by other more mature works by Amanita Design themselves, and I personally feel it should only be recommended to those who have already played most of Amanita's portfolio and are starved for more.

Finally, Machinarium sits far from the top of my recommendations in the point and click genre -- especially to those unfamiliar with it. With a heavy heart, I cannot recommend it.
☽ Coraline Castell ☾ Dec 21, 2019 @ 6:10am
Hi valerka, thank you for your comment! I agree that watching a longplay, in this game, would amount to the same effect. Glad you enjoy the game, tho! :butterfly:
valerka273 Dec 21, 2019 @ 1:55am
Well, you aren't wrong. If this game have no nostalgic value, you can simply watch longplay and that's it.
I personally always liked game in the brain section, but radio is absolute pain.
☽ Coraline Castell ☾ Jan 27, 2019 @ 12:38pm
Yup, that's pretty much it, Moony! Cool to see I'm not alone in feeling this way. :butterfly:
🌟MOON🌟 Jan 27, 2019 @ 12:21pm
"Machinarium has aged well when it comes to graphics and music but, years later, most of its puzzles feel more like player-stallers than rewarding challenges"

You said exactly what I feel about this game
The more you play it the worst it get. :roboscrew:
☽ Coraline Castell ☾ Jan 27, 2019 @ 11:38am
Glad you thought it was interesting, Andrew! :butterfly:
Crimson-Albedo Jan 27, 2019 @ 11:27am
Interesting. It is always fascinating to see how well something holds up over the years.