Posted: Feb 12, 2019 @ 6:28am

Foreword
This is more of a complaint than it is a review.

The many issues of ASTRONEER
I've owned ASTRONEER since January 2017, roughly a month after it set foot on the Steam store.

During these two years (!), I've seen ASTRO turn from a very shallow exploration game with endless bugs into a beautiful multi-world universe with many more features... and almost as many bugs.

Several of the core problems I faced since Day 1 have not been fixed -- or, if they have, they were not fixed in a satisfactory manner.

Vehicles and base buildings frequently glitch out or get stuck. Early-game is still confusing to new players (or old players coming back) despite menu tutorials. Widely-requested features seem forever-bound to the road map.

My main gameplay complaint, however, is how badly optimized ASTRO is. It's frankly astounding how much worse they've made it in 1.0.

I'm not a game developer so I have little to no clue as to how optimization is supposed to work. So let's talk about it in comparative and practical terms: I don't have a high-end computer, but my machine is able to run The Witcher 3 on medium settings with roughly 40FPS at 1080p.

ASTRONEER, in the lowest possible settings, fluctuates around 15-30FPS at 900p.

It's unplayable, hideously unplayable.

I was looking forward to checking out the new base elements, take my hover for a spin, dig around in the dirt... but when I can hardly keep up with my friend because game some times runs as low as 15FPS, it's simply impossible.

I can see, more and more, that ASTRONEER is bound to turn its valuable team into clouds and trees developers.

Until ASTRONEER's development efforts become more performance and privacy oriented, I won't touch this game again.

Conclusion
There are several bugs. The tutorial is unhelpful. There is no story mode. The EULA is a violation of your rights.

Ignore the Steam store's completely inaccurate system requirements. Only buy ASTRONEER if you have a high-end PC, high-end patience and a will to sell your private data to 3rd party companies.

PS: Read the EULA

System Era also reserves the right to monitor use of this Software at any time, and you agree not to interfere with this monitoring or with any of the access control measures or technology discussed above, or to attempt to disable or circumvent such security features.

There is no possible way I could more strongly NOT recommend this broken, privacy-violating, badly-optimized game.
ilikedingo Feb 7, 2020 @ 5:25pm
Bruh as long as FPS is above 10 its ok
☽ Coraline Castell ☾ Jul 8, 2019 @ 7:01pm
Actually... I agree with your comment. Had never thought of it like that. Sad indeed! Thanks for the comment. :butterfly:
Kemo Jul 8, 2019 @ 6:59pm
This is one of the few games that seemed much worse to me when it left early access than when it started it. Great review :thumbsup:
☽ Coraline Castell ☾ Jul 8, 2019 @ 9:38am
De nada! I'm happy to help. If you have any further questions about the game that I didn't cover in my review, feel free to pm me. (: :butterfly:
Punkster Jul 8, 2019 @ 7:50am
Oh wow, I am so glad I read this, Coraline and even more glad that you are my friend as I know you will not be saying such things lightly.

Like Maoskiskiski, I shall now remove it from my Wishlist too.

Muito obrigado :badgeseller:
☽ Coraline Castell ☾ Feb 12, 2019 @ 11:08am
It is! Let's hope they handle this in the upcoming years... somehow. I'll change my review if they do. :butterfly:
Tiny&Purple Feb 12, 2019 @ 10:08am
such a shame when this happens to a potentially great game
☽ Coraline Castell ☾ Feb 12, 2019 @ 8:16am
Great! I'm truly glad I could help. :butterfly:
YQMaoski Feb 12, 2019 @ 8:13am
Thanks for the warning, this is leaving my wishlist this moment!