Recent reviews by dances with woolite

< 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 >
This was pretty funny! Gravity's Rainbow, ha-ha. None of the puzzles are particularly challenging, but they were creative enough to keep it fun all the way through even without being able to customize my controls or invert the y-axis!
Good precision platformer with a silly style that was pretty funny. Think Pico8 Celeste but done like Parodius. More emphasis on dodging objects and enemies than on gaps and spikes. The level design is pretty thoughtful even given how willing they are to be silly. Hard but not ridiculous even to 100% ("too hard? NEVER!!").
Posted December 5, 2021.
A charming first-person puzzle game. Some of these you've seen before, but they were never tiresome, and there were some gems in there too. The post-game octagons were more my speed, although some of them could have used some in-game hints as to where to even be looking; I found it easier to fall completely out of the map (itself a satisfying experience) than to find the last few! Reminded me of Anti-chamber (which I also recommend), although this one is a bit less weird, and a the puzzles a bit tighter.
Posted August 16, 2021.
This is a good Roguelike. It's not in the same tier as masterpieces like Spelunky (& 2) or Binding of Isaac—so play those first—but it does most things right and I had a lot of fun with it, enough to beat it in regular difficulty. The movement and combat feel good, so although you'll have to retread a lot of ground, it was not tedious. The upgrades are mostly interesting and affect the way you play, meaning there's solid variety there. But there are also some clunkers, and some seeds just seem really hopeless because e.g. you didn't get any way of dealing significant damage to a boss by the time you reach it. Has some fun secrets and lots of unlockables, but it's fundamentally the kind of roguelike where you win by figuring out the mechanics and getting good, not by grinding, which is as it should be.
Posted June 24, 2021.
Very good! The artwork and feel of this game are the highlight for me. It's a small game; I finished everything (other than 101% :)) in a couple hours. I certainly don't mind a small game, although I admit I did miss some of Nifflas's signatures (I think exploring the tucked-away secrets in games like Knytt UG and NightSky have been some of my favorite gaming moments!). But that's actually more like praise for previous games than a problem with this one, which hangs together very nicely!
Posted June 24, 2021.
It's awesome, one of the best games I played in the last few years. I just loved exploring and figuring out the story of this place. Loads of great, original ideas. Highly recommended.
Posted June 23, 2021.
Nice little precision-platformer. Plays really smooth. Quite restrained in its mechanics, but manages to keep it interesting with good level design. I got all the gold and unlocked the bonus levels, which was enough challenge for me!
Posted May 22, 2021.
This was a pretty good 2D pixel Metroidvania that genre fans will enjoy. The highlight is the graphics and animation, which are simultaneously cool and disturbing; some good music too. I mostly disliked the movement, which has that common problem with meticulously-animated games that you have to wait for the animation to play while you do something like climb up the corner of a ledge or swing your sword, making it not feel fluid. The combat (especially boss battles) was decent despite that constant irritant.
Posted May 22, 2021.
Good game. Took me some time to start enjoying it; it's very hard and there are certain movement mechanics that you need to get good at, but definitely take some practice. It's not really a FPS game. It's a bit of a cross between N+, Superhot, and Mirror's Edge, where you practice a short segment of action a lot of times before you barely squeeze out a win, against all odds. Bunch of good ideas and well designed (but brutal) boss fights. The map is good looking and I appreciated that they don't put invisible clipping walls... you can basically just go anywhere if you want, and then usually just die there, which can be satisfying (the secrets were generally pretty shallow, unfortunately). The story is quite silly and all the male voice actors sound like college kids doing a jaw-jutting audition for the role of Optimus Prime in a live-action Transformers movie, so play this one for the hxcore platforming/combat, not for the story!
Posted February 17, 2021.
Good game! It's a "bullet-hell" dodger with some clever ideas. I love the artwork and there are many well-done details. I think I found the puzzle elements ("how is this level even possible?") to be my favorite part of the game.
One gripe: The difficulty is all over the map, and some of the challenges are just really grindy because you basically have to get lucky AND be good. This wasn't a problem for the regular ending, and rarely a problem for the hard ending, but I didn't do the 20-seconds-in-every-room challenge because some of them just seemed unfairly hard. I think it would have been more fun if the levels were deterministic so that you could practice a route.
Posted December 29, 2020.
< 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 >