Recent reviews by dances with woolite

< 1  2  3  4  5 >
Fantastic metroidvania, one of the best I've played in the genre. Combat and movement are tight; lots of secrets and unlocks; multiple ways through the world; appropriately challenging; charming aesthetic. What really stands out is the incredible amount of content, with a huge number of bosses and detailed, hand-drawn backgrounds.
Posted February 9.
Prologue was reasonably fun, but I decided against buying it due to the concerns about it's creepy DRM and privacy problems. I just wanna play a game on my computer, guys.
Posted November 16, 2018.
A mediocre sequel ruined by technical problems.
Bad:
- Performance is awful, even on a very high-end PC with a GeForce 1080. It doesn't make sense that it would be this bad. Other recent AAA games play smooth as butter on this machine. Here I get inconsistent framerates < 40FPS, desynced audio during cutscenes, other weird graphical glitches, etc.
- Possibly it is confused by having too many cores available or NUMA, but I can't even help it, because "EasyAntiCheat" prevents setting process priority or processor affinity. This is true even in single-player mode.
- And speaking of EasyAntiCheat, Windows 10 just installed an update, and now the game won't launch at all because of "untrusted" DLLs. I assume they will eventually update to trust this new version of the OS, but locking me out of the game for any period of time is really obnoxious.
- Arcade mode won't launch. It just gives a cryptic error.
- There are frequent bugs within the game itself. I end up inside a stunt mission but I can't exit it. Then after restarting my save, any time I go near where that stunt mission is, I lose control of my character and just float there. Sometimes you need to kill every enemy in a base, except some enemy is stuck inside the ground or something like that, so you have to quit. Although it's open world, if you do missions in the wrong "order" the game often won't account for this in its narrative (for example it will ask you to break into a place you've already liberated in order to steal back a plane). At many different levels the quality is weak here.

Were it not for the technical problems, this game would be OK, but it actually just feels like a worse version of Far Cry 4. There aren't enough new ideas (oh, I can fish now?), it's tremendously easy, and the world is less fun to be in. I loved Far Cry 4, but I probably won't play the series any more. :(
Posted October 10, 2018.
It's a very straightforward sequel to La-Mulana, appearing to even use the same engine (including frustrating stuff like you can't actually get it to go full-screen without bad resampling) and having most of the same weapons and other tropes. But, the formula of the legendary original is fantastic, and this is great in many of the same ways. A worthy follow-up.
Posted September 28, 2018.
Awesome. Very creative and meditative game, not like anything I've played before. If there's any downside, it's that I feel like the "puzzles" can be a bit random-seeming, so you will usually stumble upon "solutions" accidentally, but it doesn't really detract from the game since the accidental discoveries are so lovely and satisfying. There are some real "puzzles" for sure, and those are fun, but most of what's good about this game is exploring a strange otherworldy contraption.
Posted September 27, 2018.
Loved it. Extremely impressive that this was made by one person. The pixel art (especially the character animations) is the highlight, but the level design, story, music, are all very solid as well. I felt it was a tad easy, but at least I needed to try some of the bosses more than once. Highly recommended for genre fans.
Posted August 1, 2018.
I've long dreamed of a huge pinball table that I could explore Metroidvania-style, so I was really happy to see this game execute on that so well. Cute and quirky with great art and plenty to do. My only complaint is that it's overall quite easy, but that makes for a pretty relaxing few evenings!
Posted August 1, 2018.
Good, creative puzzle game. Admirable how it communicates its rules without words, even when making you figure out how the controls work. Not too long.
Posted June 16, 2018.
Not very good. Seems like they got a discount on "rusty metal" textures. Cutscenes are a lazy comic book style, which would have been forgivable except that the story is nearly incoherent. Map design is based on the principle that you should always be able to see the objective through some chain link fence or railing that you should obviously be able to climb over, but which has an invisible clipping wall. Has some arcade fun shooting robots with a variety of weapons, but it gets pretty repetitive: Outside of bosses (which were more fun), the monsters basically just keep running straight at you, and some weapons are so much better than others that there's no incentive to switch. For the style, the Serious Sam series is a much better bet (it just has way more variety and charm).
Posted June 12, 2018.
Not as surprising or magical as the first one, but I did like it a lot, especially since the thing you spend the most time doing was specifically nostalgic for me. Mini-games are a mixed bag, but a few are great, and none were that hard, so it's a good trip to the zoo.
Posted August 20, 2017.