Recent reviews by dances with woolite

< 1  2  3  4  5 >
Well worth playing if you've ever enjoyed a 16-bit Sonic game. It plays like an authentic classic with some of that nostalgia, but with a lot of really creative new ideas. The graphics and animation are particularly well done.
Posted July 5.
Single-player game was pretty good, if rather similar to the 2016 game. Harder than I was expecting on Ultra-Violence mode, with some spots taking a lot of practice.
I can't recommend this with its new creepy kernel-mode anti-cheat, though, especially added after the fact? The multiplayer was not at all compelling to me, anyway, so the security/creepy factor is even more obnoxious since I wouldn't even get any benefit from it. Uninstalled.
Posted May 16.
Good action platformer. Very tight controls and moving around feels great. Loads of lovingly made animation, and I liked the music too. I think that the work up to the "full" run was the most fun part, as it can be tedious to play through every level in a row. Sorta normal for the genre, though. (Fortunately I was able to finish the "full" run on the first shot... I'm not sure I would have kept trying.)
Posted March 15.
Great game. It's short, like it says on the tin, but very pleasant to play and charming. I ended up collecting everything. I get a bit lost without a map, and the camera can sometimes be an annoyance, but everything else about it is lovely.
Posted February 9.
I think this game is underrated. It's a kinda-dumb open world shooter, but they did a great job with the weapons, ark powers, and combat in general. The graphics are pretty good, and there's plenty of stuff to do. It does feel like some things are unfinished (outside of the main story there's almost no reason to talk to any townspeople for example), but if you aren't trying to obsess over getting everything done, it doesn't even matter. I had fun with it.
Posted October 31, 2019.
A fine game, but I don't recommend it. Perhaps it just hasn't aged well. Some good stuff:
- The effect when switching between the two sisters is very well done
- Towards the end there is some good challenging platforming
Some bad stuff:
- This is a matter of taste, but I found the music to be incredibly irritating. Think MIDI guitar. I turned off the music, which I almost never do in games.
- The final boss is hard, but not that fun because it takes soooo long to fight him; mostly waiting for him to do his next attack. The boss comes at the end of a hard level, and although you get a checkpoint, you can't save the game and try it tomorrow. I left my computer on overnight!
- There are several places where you can escape the map, even soft-locking the game because you fall forever and there's no way to reset to a checkpoint. So start over because you were secret hunting. For a game with lots of secrets, some of which take some delicate maneuvering, I was pretty surprised by this.
Mostly I found the game tedious, with a handful of bright spots. Game to play instead: Celeste
Posted September 8, 2019.
Excellent game! It's a twitchy grindy roguelike. The graphics are really impressive, and it plays so smooth, with precise controls and excellent "flow." When you get good you can play really fast and it avoids being tedious, and it's always a bit stressful since one mistake may end your run. I got two boss cells and that may be enough for me, but there's clearly dozens of hours tucked away in this game's harder modes, too.
Posted June 30, 2019.
Minit is fantastic! Creative concept, and execution is great. It's a small game that you can finish in an evening, so as long as you are up for that, strongly recommended.
Posted May 26, 2019.
Fantastic metroidvania, one of the best I've played in the genre. Combat and movement are tight; lots of secrets and unlocks; multiple ways through the world; appropriately challenging; charming aesthetic. What really stands out is the incredible amount of content, with a huge number of bosses and detailed, hand-drawn backgrounds.
Posted February 9, 2019.
Prologue was reasonably fun, but I decided against buying it due to the concerns about it's creepy DRM and privacy problems. I just wanna play a game on my computer, guys.
Posted November 16, 2018.
< 1  2  3  4  5 >