Recent reviews by bledcarrot

Dead Age 2 has attempted to go more complex in its mechanics, but it's missed the survival and rogue-like mark.

This game is too easy. After a few playthroughs on Normal, I started a new character on Hardcore and didn't take the upgrade medals. I'm a good way into it and it's been fun, but very easy still. The combat is fun, but gets repetitive once you work out your routine, and food, water, snacks, and medical equipment are all too readily available to be much of a worry. You can buy enough food and water from the independents early game not to have to worry about it for the first three or four days and nights.. Once you have the garden set up, and someone with some levels in biology, you can generate enough food and water not to have to worry about it from then on.

The rogue-like mechanics are out of whack, too I played a couple of times on Normal and went to start a new game and it told me I had 55 upgrade medals, which translated to significant skill point upgrades so that I could start the game early-specialised in two or three areas. Given how easy I've found the game on Hardcore without the upgrade medals, I can only imagine what it would be like on Normal and taking the medals. These kind of rogue-likes are supposed to give you incremental progress that keeps each run through challenging and allows you to progress a little bit further each time. See For The King. It just feels like the developers have put the mechanics in but not bothered to balance them properly, but the balance is everything in these games.

Maybe I'm not the intended audience here, I like my survival and rogue-likes to be pretty punishing. Any readers should keep that in mind and take my views accordingly, but this game just didn't hit what it feels like it set out to do.

The game has only been released, so patches may address any or all of these criticisms. I'll come back and change my vote if that happens, because maybe this is something that can be fixed just by tweaking the numbers.
Posted March 16, 2021.

A developer has responded on Mar 16, 2021 @ 3:15am (view response)
This is a beautiful adventure game done right. Yes, it's not quite the hardcore Sierra style adventure of old, but it trails its own path. The humour and charm are just spot on and the ending was beautiful.

I loved everything about it.

I'm so glad this landed in the laps of the Odd Gentlemen, because it's clear they have a lot of love for the series and put serious thought and care into making this a worthy entry. And it is.
Posted September 11, 2019.
I love point & click adventure games, but I'm usually disappointed with recent entries in to the genre. They're always missing something. Either the puzzles are too easy and poorly designed, the story is boring, or the humour falls flat. Paradigm nails everything. It's an instant classic, as far as I'm concerned. Up there with Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and the Space Quests, still some of the best adventure games ever made. I hope they've made some money out of this, because the amount of love and attention that's gone in to this game is so apparent. I look forward to future games!
Posted August 1, 2019.
60 PARSECS! is really nice to look at and has some potentially really interesting survival mechanics but, like the developers previous game 60 seconds, it just falls short in the execution of those mechanics. The worst part is the random deaths, which was the same in the first. You'll be playing along, managing your resources, struggling to stay just slightly ahead of the curve so you can proceed in the game, and them some random event will occur and if you don't have an item needed to offset the event everyone in you crew will instantly die. They can go from OK health to dead in one bang. That's just silly. Punish the player, sure, damage their health to the point where they'll have to scramble to get medikits or whatever, but don't outright kill them on a dice roll. It just feels annoying more than anything, when I have to restart a good run because of something so random.

Anyway, this is one issue, another is that the survival mechanics just don't end up being all that complex. Don't get me wrong, the game has some fun, and for a couple of dollars it's worth a play, but it just disappoints in terms of what it could potentially be.
Posted July 6, 2019.
Chook & Sosig is a short and sweet point & click adventure that's beautifully illustrated, brimming with charm, and that serves as a solid debut for a first-time developer. It falls short on scope and length, and the puzzle design could do with a little more thought, but for a couple of hours of entertainment it works.

You can read my full review here:

Posted June 23, 2019.
Pathologic 2 is an intense experience. It's not fun. It's enjoyable in the way that achieving something really difficult is enjoyable - only after you've been through the hell and you're out the other side do you really appreciate what it's about. But it's brilliant. It's refreshing to see developers make good on an uncompromising vision. And it's refreshing to see developers who understand where meaningful choices come from. For choices to matter, there has to be a cost. Something has to be sacrificed. You choose one thing and it means you're closed off from doing another. In an era where games are designed to cater to our fear of missing out, where all the game's possibilities are presented as options - join every faction, do every quest, save very NPC - Pathologic 2 is resolute in its commitment to cost. Everything has a price here. And it's a more meaningful experience because of it.

You can read my full review of Pathologic 2 here:

Posted June 12, 2019.
The Darkside Detective is a game that lives or dies on its theme. If the whole 'supernatural detective' trope is your thing, and if you love shows like The Twilight Zone, The X-Files, and Twin Peaks, then you'll feel right at home in Twin Lakes, the setting for The Darkside Detective. You play Francis McQueen, a bumbling detective who, along with his goofy sidekick Dooley, are charged with unravelling a number of mysterious cases popping up around town. The game is riddled with throwbacks to classic horror/science fiction television and movies, and styles itself on the humor of the old Lucasart and Sierra adventure games, so if this is your jam then it may just be worth a look. The jokes are a little hit or miss, however, and the puzzles are far too easy and lack any sort of careful design. But the game has a certain charm that carries it.

You can read my full review here:

Posted May 26, 2019.
This was a great little game. Loved the theme, and the puzzles were just challenging enough to be interesting, but kept the game moving at a nice flow. A very enjoyable few hours.

For prospective buyers, this is a minimalist puzzle game. By minimalist I mean the puzzles are minimalist, and the story is minimalist too. If that kind of thing annoys you and you want a more fleshed out narrative in your games, then this isn't for you.

It felt like some real thought had gone in to getting the balance just right in this, from the subtle story reveal, to the times items make themselves available versus when they're used. It all unfolded really nicely, it wasn't just phoned in. Look forward to more from the devs!
Posted April 21, 2017.
Has real potential, but gets old very quickly. Combat is boring and there's just too much of it. Which sucks because barring the odd narrative 'choice' (which also repeat regularly), that's all there is to do. I just found myself groaning every time combat came around...I think it's the beginnings of a potentially really cool game, but as it stands I an't recommend it.
Posted January 27, 2017.
I think many of the reviews of this chapter are a little harsh on it. Yes, there's only a few locations. But there's a very nicely and tightly crafted meta-puzzle here. You can get through only saving one or two of the villagers without too much trouble, and the individual puzzles are quite fun, without being too difficult. The meta-puzzle, though, trying to save all of the villagers, is quite challenging, and requires you to piece together the sequence of events in a chain of logic, and execute the order just right. It's very cleverly done.

This chapter has mixed reviews, and I can understand why people would feel a little ripped off, but think about this in the context of the broader game once all the chapters are done and I think you can start to appreciate it a little more. If you're a player who is playing through all the chapters one after the other, then this will be a memorable section of the game, and a refreshingly different little area. As long as it's a once off and the other chapters continue more in the vein of the first chapter, or do something new entirely, then it'll be a neat little early section of the game.

If you paid $50 for a 50 or so hour King's Quest game and this was a small part of it, I think people would be less likely to feel ripped off and to appreciate it a little more. Where it shines is in the tight and well executed puzzle design, particularly the meta-puzzle, and it's great to see developers putting some serious thought and effort in to that, rather than just providing a nice colourful, graphically impressive, but puzzle-lite, experience that you play through once without having to think too much. You CAN do that with this chapter, but if you want to solve the meta-puzzle you may need a couple of playthroughs and some serious thinking.

I hope the mixed reviews don't discourage the developers from continuing with that emphasis.
Posted September 29, 2016.