Recent reviews by bs

The entire time I was playing I was judging this mod by Valve standards. Surely, Did I fond something minor to be upset about? occasionally. But honestly? If you can judge a free mod by major company standards... I'd say it was a damn good mod. It might not be a Valve game, but it comes pretty damn close to their standards. Hats off to the dev team, this is exceptional work.
Posted May 20.
This is definitely not a game as you would imagine a game. It is an experience. I'm not trying to sound polular with this one. "aN eXpErIenCe" is mentioned quite a lot lately. A lot of developers want to call their craft like this because they believe it adds depth to what they make. They're not neccesarily wrong. But, in my opinion, it de-values the term "experience". I think, that a game like this and its predecessor - The Stanley Parable should be the ones defining the term. Just the ones that come to mind. There are a lot of other "experience games" that deserve mention. They just don't come to mind.

One thing for sure - it's not Stanley Parable, it's not a sequel, a prequel, a spin-off or anything of sorts. It's a completely different game. There are a few similarities but they are noticeable if you think about both of these games long enough.

And this is what this game is about. It makes you think. Without spoiling it, I can say one thing - it tells a story. Nothing unusual, huh? It's mostly just a story, visualised, illustrated. What makes it different and, well, unique, is how you look at this story. There is a lot of uncertainty about this game. And that is the last thing I'm going to say. Is it good? Yes. If you're looking for something to think about - this is the right pick. And one advice - I think it's somewhat better if the mystery stays a mystery. I for myself never got a definitive answer. But that's just me.
Posted July 12, 2019.
It is what it is. You download it, you choose your own music, you ride it. It's a good timekiller. It gets a little boring after a while, at least for me, but it's still a decent amount of fun. Pick it up on sale or even at full price if you really want to ride your music. Have fun!
Posted July 12, 2019.
I still have a strong feeling that this is the strongest game in the series. A lot of people give the most praise to the second one. As for me, it jsut wasn't the same. I've always been looking for complete immersion, I love when everything just adds up, sometimes I'm even willing to close my eyes on particular downsides if the game has a feeling to it. You know, you that feeling when you feel special about a game, you want to explore it, be the protagonist, feel youself part of it - that sort of thing. For me, I was able to get that sort of feeling with this one. I couldn't get enough of Altair and his doubts, being young at a time and constantly doubting the world around me. World around me was alive, and i really enjoyed flowing through it, noticing and looking, hiding, only striking in the best moment. I had the urge to feel like an assasin whether or not it was actually needed. I think that when you want to play the game in some special way it already won you over. And this is exactly what happened.

I'm not going to go into details on this one since a lot of time has passed since I played it, and I only remember the general feeling of it. I'm going to get to the point: game is generally good, best parts are: plot, lore, world, general gameplay. Most of the problems are technical, and can be quite annoying at times, mostly because it's a console port and has a decent amount of console port issues. But I would say it's still worth it to go and expore it. At this point almost any PC could run it, and it is still running and looking good. So yeah, it's worth checking out even in 2019.
Posted July 12, 2019.
Absolutely loved it. I was expecting it to be like Amnesia in a way, but, while gameplay itself had strong similarities, the overall style was drastically different, providing entirely new and unique experience. I always love when philosophical questions are being raised in games, and, while the topic is pretty sensitive, I'd say this game raised them in a smart way, without just asking you out of the blue, but rather making you experience moral dillemas themselves. Very good atmosphere that makes you believe what's happening totally helps it.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for story that can make you think, of course, if you are comfrotable with horror games. Horror, while being good, was not primarily what I enjoyed the game for, but it is still there to deal with. Let me put it this way - I'd rather recommend it to a Talos Principle fan than to an Amnesia fan. But I loved both so it for me it was even better.

And yeah if you have thalassophobia you better be ready. Worth it, though.
Posted November 12, 2018.
Well, this one's going to be one of my favorite games of all time.

What can I say? It's excellent in any aspect if you want to try nitpicking this one, and at the same time it remains a single fantastically working entity.

Let's break it down a little.

Puzzles, the main part of the game are fun and unique. A lot of interesting mechanics to work with, a lot of different ways to do it, too. Just couldn't get bored with it. And it's great that you are up to decide the puzzle you're going to play, the ability to skip over and then come back to it - it helps a lot. Being able to clear your mind and change focus when stuck instead of just bashing onto a wall is a huge plus.

World around you, boy oh boy. Looks great and promising, but that's only the tip of the iceberg - exploring it pays off much more. All the hidden stuff adds up amazingly to the story, making the game pretty damn solid lorewise. Well, easter eggs don't really add up to the lore, but who cares, right? And they're placed around the game in the best traditions of Serious Sam. Croteam sure has a talent for doing that :)

Plot. Strong, compelling, well tied up to everything happening in the world around you and to you directly. Narration, text and voice, dialogues are a masterpiece, I just can't say less of it. I haven't seen anything so well-written, well-directed and well-delivered in a very long time. You get exactly that "immersive feeling" not only by looking at stuff, but mostly with getting caught up in the plot itself. I just can't find proper words to say more positive stuff about it. It's damn GOOD it sure is.

Ok, next. Gotta stay focused.

Music is pretty nice. It's not a Transistor/Bastion level of greatness, it's just not needed much. It feels exactly right to not get annoying while solving stuff or bore you to death. Also it's really good at reflecting the area you're being at. Gotta say I felt a lot of Serious Sam vibes while being at Egypt area :D And I'm glad I did, it's a good nostalgic feeling, yet it's not just Serious Sam, no, just the flavour of it. Great stuff by a great composer who knows exactly right what he's doing with this game.

I've already talked about the world, but I have to say about exploration itself on it's own. It's unbelievably satisfying. I don't feel the urge to explore everything in any game, but when I do, I know - that's the stuff. I've completed the game almost 100% excluding achievements, and never got bored with it. In fact, i want more (Road to Gehenna, here I come).
I don't want to spoil good parts of it, and tbh I don't want to type everything down either, just trust me - if you like your games explored to bits - it's exactly suitable for it. And it's gonna reward you for it in different ways.

Online interaction is a little but fun thing to do. Leaving a sophisticated message, or, on the contrary, a rude and challenging one for future "Children" to look at was a bit i enjoyed. Finding messages of my friends, too.

The philosophical part was extremely hard to maintain properly... yet it's still done brilliantly. How do they even manage? I never had such fun talking to AI (eh heh) as I did in this game, not even mentioning tons of stuff being possible to read and think about. I mean, wow. Developers and writers did such an amazing job making this game what it is.

Technicalities. Game looks great, sounds great, and DUDE DID YOU EVEN SEE THE OPTIONS MENU? Like, it's harder to find stuff you CAN'T tweak around. Graphics mostly, of course. You can make this bad boy run at any rate at any system is what I feel. And it's gonna look fantastic, maybe a little less fancy on weaker systems, but still fantastic.

Well I can't only say good stuff, right?

I tried my best to nitpick something out of it, and the only stuff I managed was:

A little bit weird physics engine. It's not even needed much and game covers it mechanically very well but it's a disadvantage, a ridiculosly small one, not hurting gameplay in any way, but I just have to find bad stuff not to feel one-sided, sorry.
3d person animations are kind of clunky too. Not like it ACTUALLY MATTERS but hey, still nitpicking.

...And that's it. This is stuff I find bad in it. Nothing else I could remember. I was too busy having loads of fun, probably.

I absolutely adored The Talos Principle, this is the stuff that keeps me playing videogames, this is the stuff worth waiting for, while getting average "AAA titles". Thanks a lot to Croteam and every person working on this game with them, I had tons of fun with this game.

10/10 (Not memeing around this time)
Posted January 25, 2017. Last edited January 26, 2017.
Up to this day this game is my favorite. Honestly, I have never fully understood why do I like this game so much. Bash me if you want to, but I can't say it's perfect in every possible detail. The thing is, it's not about the details themselves, it's about them being being knit together so good you're getting absorbed by the game as it's going, making it one of the most immersive games in the world. Everything - story, gameplay, lore, characters, world around you, even the damn yellow filter functions so well together you get a feeling it's not even a made up story but something that WILL happen at some point, that's how good this game is. You're seriosly starting to question yourself about the events that did not happen, but they FEEL like they did. You feel like you're in control of your character, it's you making it happening. It's applaudable on how Eidos Montreal made a protagonist with a personality, yet completely relatable in the things he's (or you're) doing.
This is what Deus Ex: Human Revolution is for me, and I totally recommend you playing it.
Posted November 23, 2016.
This is might not be a game that had a lot of money spent on, but it has got something that is rarely found in videogames these days: a heart being put into. I had an amazing experience with this game, that's all I really want to say. I'm not going to go into details, because they've been mentioned dozens of times before.
Posted April 10, 2016.
I'm in love with this game. It looks truly amazing and is played even better. This is one of the most interesting cooperative games I have ever seen. Pick up 2 of your friends, buy the 3-pack, and enjoy the adventure! It will be worth it.
Posted May 8, 2014.
2,230.5 hrs on record (1,442.9 hrs at review time)
Didn't ruin yet, but is currently ruining my life. Excellent game, excellent community, excellent economics. Best f2p model I've ever seen.
Posted April 15, 2014. Last edited January 13, 2015.