Posted: Mar 19, 2018 @ 2:10am
Updated: Mar 20, 2018 @ 7:40am

I don't have a lot of time for gaming anymore and with around 1000 games in my library I've never even played, I'm trying to cut back on buying new ones. So when a friend told me I had to play this one, I was skeptical. I do love card games and strategy - but I also have a lot of burnout from poor Early Access experiences and since my maternity leave is over and now I have to ugh, make money AND look after a baby, absolutely no spare time for gaming. So I surprised myself when I realized that three days after launching this, I'd managed to clock up 15 hours.

That pile of paperwork next to me, the unfinished laundry and my mums messages asking if I'm okay because she hasn't heard from me for a few days may be related in some way, but you can't prove anything! I was so tired last night I beat the final boss with the Ironclad for the first time, sent a screenshot to the friend who bullied me into playing the game (essential step), turned my PC off, walked to bed and fell asleep, to dream of deck building.

Despite my friend having played double my hours and generally being vastly superior at games to me, his playstyle choices have been vastly different. He prefers Silent, the poison character, whereas I prefer Ironclad, the strength deck. He'd never used the style of deck I used to get my first win (barricade, massive armor stacking, dual wield into body slam) and I played with quite a few different deck types before settling on my winning synergy. Even though there are not a massive array of cards, there is a significant amount of choice and strategy in your play, coupled with constant adjustments needing to be made as you pick up relics and rewards.

With over 9,000 reviews (no I mean literally, that's not a meme) and overwhelmingly positive, you don't need someone slow to this bandwagon to describe the mechanics of the game. What I will say is this is a fun roguelike deck-building card game that is simple to grasp, hard to master and incredibly addictive. I'd love to say it can be played in short bursts when you have 30 minutes here and there, but only if you've levelled your willpower to max and can walk away from the PC.

Highly recommended from me, even in Early Access, with hopefully even more content to come.

💖 If you find the reviews of an old Welsh lady interesting, please follow My Curator Page 💖
Athravan May 23, 2018 @ 2:05pm
Hi @Full Metal Buddhist... there is an achievement for a speed run in 20 minutes. I would say most of my runs take about 40 minutes. If you were going slow you might take an hour. If you get bad luck (or make bad choices) with your deck it might be over in 2 minutes... it really is a game designed to be replayed.
Full Metal Buddhist May 23, 2018 @ 10:48am
I'm 53!... and um... how many hours does a single playthrough take? I don't replay nearly anything. Too many new ones to play, no time for replaying! =)

Congratulations on the little one. =)
Athravan Apr 5, 2018 @ 9:17am
Thanks for the kind words @mancub and @greggmcs, and I work with reptiles and exotics, so you'd better enjoy snakes, lizards and tarantulas before you ask for my job Greg!
greggmcs Apr 5, 2018 @ 7:31am
1. It was a fantastic post. 2. I want your job if you can afford to buy 1000 games you have yet to play. LOL.
mancubthescrub Mar 30, 2018 @ 1:05am
This was a wonderful read, thank you!
kris.aalst Mar 19, 2018 @ 11:32am
What the ... kind of discussion did I stumble upon here? :steammocking: Oh well, enjoyable review as ever, A. And if you're an old Welsh lady with 35 years on the meter I'm a living corpse with 40 :bigGrin: Grats on the new little Welshman (or -woman) and I think that explains your short absence from the Steam platform I noticed the last few weeks :Winking:
Sigmar Mar 19, 2018 @ 6:26am
Look it up on YouTube. It refers to a scene in the children's cartoon, and the typically Asian anime delivery is just hilarious.
Athravan Mar 19, 2018 @ 6:20am
@sigmar Ah, I only know it from WoW. Never seen any Dragon Ball Z.
Sigmar Mar 19, 2018 @ 6:18am
On a sidenote, my dear, "Over 9000" is not a WoW joke, it comes from Dragon Ball Z.
Mickmane Mar 19, 2018 @ 2:49am
Oh, definitely hope you will!

I met at least one guy in a game who was over 60, and only the other day learned that a Steam friend is 55. :)

Among my Steam friends, mid-thirties seems the most common though, at least of those I do know and remember the age of.