Posted: Mar 17, 2018 @ 12:18pm
Updated: Mar 17, 2018 @ 12:25pm

Into the Breach is a tactical strategy game in which you are the last line of defense against icky insect (Vek 🕷 ) alien invaders. In strategy terms I'd liken it to a game of chess. You know all the moves your opponent can make, but what you need to think about is not the next turn - but the turn after, and the turn after that. Can you think ahead and set yourself up to counter the next 5 turns?

Survival Strategy

If so, you win the round. You don't need to destroy the enemy - you simply need to survive and save as many people and power as possible. If the enemy attacks a building, you lose power to the grid. If the power ⚡️⚡️ is gone, it's game over. Humanity is doomed... in this timeline anyway. Into the Breach is is a slow paced strategy puzzle game of thinking ahead and protecting your assets from all directions, occasionally sacrificing your own life. You're expendable, but the universe is not.

Enemies are varied and differ from island to island, with map mechanics and your own varying team abilities thrown in. So calling it similar to chess is a very simple analogy - it's a lot more complex with a lot more components thrown in to the mix. If you're thinking it sounds a little too cerebral, you don't need an eidetic memory as the moves from your opponents are telegraphed for the next turn which simplifies things in the short-term. As you go up in difficulty and play around with different team mechanics, strategy definitely intensifies.

Oodles of replayability

In addition to unlocking different teams with different abilities that seriously affect the way you play the game, you can purchase upgrades and have to decide how to power them. You can level up your pilots who can die (your mechs keep fighting, but you'll need to find a new pilot to boost their stats). You can choose the island you play on, and which map you play, with different maps having different goals for rewards. Of course, the harder the challenge the higher the reward - and risk. Even after beating the game, there is a ridiculous amount of replayability here with achievements that reward you with coins that can be spent on unlocking different teams.

Boo 😱, RNG

My only criticism is like any game with random chance, there is an element of frustrating RNG that can sometimes mar the experience. Although there are no XCOMesque hit chances and you know exactly what you and the enemy will do, the map placement and bonus events can sometimes make playing a perfect (or even good) game feel impossible, especially on the hardest difficulty. On the whole though, I do think that a loss is mostly going to be your own fault. Thanks game, for reminding me that I'm not a tactical genius.

Unique and Addictive

Despite this being heavily advertised as a game from the makers of FTL: Faster Than Light, don't be mistaken into thinking Into The Breach is similar in mechanics. It's a completely different genre and has nothing really similar gameplay wise. What it does have in common is that it's a well-polished unique game that'll keep you playing time and time again. Even when you lose horribly. That's a pretty good thing to have in common!

It's a highly recommended from me on this one. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

💖 If you find the reviews of an old Welsh lady interesting, please follow My Curator Page 💖
ReaganSMAAAAASH Mar 22, 2018 @ 8:43am
Son of a Bisquick, mate! I thought I had the largest Steam Library.. well played, good sir.
Farre Mar 17, 2018 @ 12:30pm