Recent reviews by Athravan

< 1  2  3 ... 11 >
Far: Lone Sails is an atmospheric management mystery game. We know nothing about our protagonist - a lonely red cloaked figure - or where we're going, but the drive to move forward is there from the start. In a strange vehicle that is driven by energy from consumed objects or powered by the wind when it's in our favour we must cross a bleak and desolate landscape. It's clear that there was life and technology once, as we pass landlocked ships, houses, trains, billboards and more.

Despite being an incredibly simple game to control and with very basic needs, it manages to really capture the atmosphere of being alone in a seemingly abandoned world. Right from the start I wanted to get to the end because I needed to know more. Where on earth are we going? Is there even a destination? Or is this about the journey? Well, no spoilers, so you'll have to play.

At set points you will encounter puzzles. They are relatively simple logic puzzles that require pushing and pulling, doing things in the correct order, finding an object or similar, in order to venture forward once again. In the vehicle we must manage our energy, steam and sails, whilst combatting the occasional fires and repairing where necessary. Minor upgrades are installed throughout the course of the game, and the puzzles get increasingly more complex. The difficulty level ultimately wasn't a challenge though, and this is a simple puzzler that keeps us hooked by atmosphere and curiosity, more than intellectual challenge.

In atmosphere it reminded me of Inside, one of my favourite games of 2016. Despite being very different environments, they both manage to entirely capture the feeling of something simply not being right. Something sinister and creepy, yet subtle. Something you want to discover and explore. Although we know little about our little red protagonist, I quickly grew attached to my figure. Not to mention my beach ball and my mailbox.

The full game is between 2-3 hours long, with speed run achievements being available at 90 minutes. There is no replayability, as the puzzles and environment are static and the game entirely linear. At $15 it will be down to individual preference whether this is worth picking up now or in a sale. For me, I'd say yes, it is worth it.

A short and lonely but nonetheless captivating and entirely enjoyable experience.
Posted May 28. Last edited May 28.
Note I received a copy of this game from the developer.

Mystical Time Traveling Mystery

In Omensight we are the Harbinger, a mystical blue-ponytailed being prophesized to come into existence when the end of the world is nigh. We are brought into the world just moments before it ends, but the tree of life gives us the mystical power to go back in time one day and see the events that led to calamity. Following different characters we must explore and piece together the mystery of what happened to unleash Ragnarok in snake form - Voden - who can devour the world.

At the end of each day, depending on the choices we made, we unravel some information. You can then repeat the day, use that information, change the course of history and.... the world still ends. Slowly but surely, by piecing together the separate parts, we unlock more choices and can make our final attempt to change fate and save mankind. Well, ratkind, and catkind, and bearkind, and whatever the hell else these weird folks are.

Death comes in bright colours too

Despite the heavy themes of murder, betrayal, war and doom, it's bright and colourful with interesting characters and scenery. The art style is beautiful and feels unique and refreshing to me. The story and characters are strong. Well written, a fantastical time traveling tale that made me care about the people and genuinely want to know what the hell had gone wrong. Every time I thought I needed to go and actually get back to - ugh - real life, I thought "Just one more day..." and kept playing.

Simple Combat

The hack n slash action combat is smooth and simple, with fast and satisfying animations. There aren't any combat choices though and there's no real feeling of character progression - purely story progression. I'd have liked a bit more choice in weapons, moves or special abilities. It works fine as the game is completeable in about 12 hours by my count, so it manages to stay fluid and fun despite being a bit repetitive.

A few annoyances

On the downside, the keyboard controls are dire, to the point where the game highly recommends you use a controller and I agree. I originally started playing with keyboard and mouse and doubt I would have continued an hour if I hadn't switched as it made the platforming elements frustrating. There are also moments of very awkward camera angles and distance issues which really break the immersion and can be annoying. Most of the game is free flowing fun, but there were one too many times where I couldn't quite see what I was doing.

So, not perfect, but despite a few annoyances, I genuinely found the game fun and without a doubt, an engaging narrative.

Recommended for those who are looking for a story-driven experience, simple combat and enjoy the art style.

💖 If you find the reviews of an old Welsh lady interesting, please follow My Curator Page 💖
Posted May 16. Last edited May 16.
As someone who is a keen follower of the Welsh gaming industry (well, what there is of it), I was excited to play DEATHPIT 3000. When I initially received the game from Cyberlamb Studios, it was local multiplayer only, but I was pretty happy when it was patched to add online multiplayer, which I think vastly enhances the accessibility of the game. As a middle aged gamer with a baby, I unfortunately don't have much of a real life anymore for local party games.

DEATHPIT 3000 is a twin stick top down arena based shooter where you fight a variety of monsters whilst avoiding environmental damage and try to survive. Each round rewards cash and a shop with upgrades specific to that match, whilst completing the entire match unlocks upgrades and features for the next qualifier. You progress through the game until you hit the finals, steadily unlocking more goodies as you go.

The concept is simple, but it's well executed and good old fashioned fun with enough variety to appeal to beginners or hardened pros. I do think you need to play this game with friends to get the most out of it, and it would really benefit from some additional features like leaderboards, more maps and larger multiplayer sizes.

It's quick to get into and easy to pick up, but definitely hard to master. Ideal for short bursts with friends, whether online or in real life.

PS. This was my 100th review on Steam, is there a prize?! No? Better keep going then, maybe at 1000!
Posted May 2. Last edited May 2.
I received a copy of this game through Curator Connect.

Dead in Vinland is a turn based strategy RPG which mixes survival management, story and combat. We play a family of four and the survival of all our main characters is essential, although side characters can be murdered or banished as you please. Eirik is our patriarch, whose mixed past has mysteriously resulted in sudden exile. His wife and her sister are a Welsh princess aka shield maiden and healer aka a witch, who were kidnapped by the Vikings as children and integrated into Norse society. Finally, we have their daughter, a capricious young lady who likes exploring, hunting and not listening to mum and dad, a teenage archer with a rebellious streak.

Because Dead in Vinland follows a set story arc, all main characters are required to be present and accounted for. If one falls - and there are a lot of ways to die - then it's game over for everyone. Autosaves do allow for you to go back without having to start again, but in my first play I made mistakes very early on that built up overtime and it was easier to start again with my new experience than try to salvage a sinking ship.

Scripted Story-Driven Environment

Early on we meet our antagonist Bjorn Headcleaver, who owns everyone on the island and forces them to work for him, meeting tributes - or dying. Your choice.

He's an easy character to hate, a completely one dimensional villain. Like most of the characters, he's very transparent and there isn't a lot of depth to the writing in general. The story is enough to keep you interested, but the characters are predictable tropes with occasionally cringeworthy dialogue. As you progress you can add more and more characters to your party, with different personalities and story interactions of their own. I never really empathised with any of the characters due to the poor writing, even though one of them is a Welsh princess, which quite honestly is what I wanted to be when I grew up.

The Strength is in the Management.

There are a lot of options that will really appeal to those who like deep management, crafting, harvesting, building, fighting, exploring - there must be an absolute ton of dice rolls going on behind the scenes. The character sheet is complex and that allows for a lot of decision making in assigning characters to tasks and which actions you plan to take each turn. In addition, the dialogue options and the actions you take in encounters can seriously affect your characters and their struggle. You can make the game a lot harder for yourself if you don't think your actions through - and not just this turns, but think ahead. The game is tense and challenging and it really keeps you on your toes mentally and overall I really enjoy the survival and crafting mechanics.

You can build up your camp and have a lot of upgrades to choose from, craft items, equip items, grow crops or farm livestock. The weather will affect everything and there's some hefty micro management going on to run a perfect camp especially as characters get more and more depressed and eventually suicidal if you don't account for their mental well-being as well. You gain exp for different actions and when you level up, you have six different choices. Each level up choice can seriously affect how you use that character in future. You might choose a new combat skill, or a permanent perk to charisma to use them as your leader for dialogue options in the future. You might upgrade their farming. On the other hand, you might choose for them to be harder to become injured - but this has a downside, now they become sick more easily.

It's a constant balancing act and I love that - this is the type of survival game I like. Slow, thoughtful, but with decisions that have real consequences and a game that has no fear of saying game over if you make big mistakes. The only downside with that is the scripted dialogue that you have to click through. It's interesting enough to read once - but when you have to replay it and read the same thing, it gets tedious.

Fighting For Your Life

The combat is simple round based that you'll be very familiar with by now whatever games you usually play. Initiative dictates which characters go first, and after that both your characters and the enemies take turns. Combat is three versus three, with the person who encountered the enemy being locked and the other two a free choice. Characters have skillsets that focus on combat, defense, healing or magic (buffing and debuffing) although to be honest, I usually just take three damage dealers into the fray and hit everyone in the face. I'm a simple girl when it comes to fighting.

Dead in Vinland is a deep game with lots of flavour and a ton of content. It has simple writing and a few annoyances in the UI and with repeating dialogue, but despite those annoyances and occasional frustration at the difficulty level, this is a well crafted survival adventure that those up for a management challenge will enjoy.

Highly recommended to strategy, survival and management fans.

Posted April 20. Last edited April 20.
I don't have a lot of time for gaming anymore and with around 1000 games in my library I've never even played, I'm trying to cut back on buying new ones. So when a friend told me I had to play this one, I was skeptical. I do love card games and strategy - but I also have a lot of burnout from poor Early Access experiences and since my maternity leave is over and now I have to ugh, make money AND look after a baby, absolutely no spare time for gaming. So I surprised myself when I realized that three days after launching this, I'd managed to clock up 15 hours.

That pile of paperwork next to me, the unfinished laundry and my mums messages asking if I'm okay because she hasn't heard from me for a few days may be related in some way, but you can't prove anything! I was so tired last night I beat the final boss with the Ironclad for the first time, sent a screenshot to the friend who bullied me into playing the game (essential step), turned my PC off, walked to bed and fell asleep, to dream of deck building.

Despite my friend having played double my hours and generally being vastly superior at games to me, his playstyle choices have been vastly different. He prefers Silent, the poison character, whereas I prefer Ironclad, the strength deck. He'd never used the style of deck I used to get my first win (barricade, massive armor stacking, dual wield into body slam) and I played with quite a few different deck types before settling on my winning synergy. Even though there are not a massive array of cards, there is a significant amount of choice and strategy in your play, coupled with constant adjustments needing to be made as you pick up relics and rewards.

With over 9,000 reviews (no I mean literally, that's not a meme) and overwhelmingly positive, you don't need someone slow to this bandwagon to describe the mechanics of the game. What I will say is this is a fun roguelike deck-building card game that is simple to grasp, hard to master and incredibly addictive. I'd love to say it can be played in short bursts when you have 30 minutes here and there, but only if you've levelled your willpower to max and can walk away from the PC.

Highly recommended from me, even in Early Access, with hopefully even more content to come.

Posted March 19. Last edited March 20.
Into the Breach is a tactical strategy game in which you are the last line of defense against icky insect (Vek 🕷 ) alien invaders. In strategy terms I'd liken it to a game of chess. You know all the moves your opponent can make, but what you need to think about is not the next turn - but the turn after, and the turn after that. Can you think ahead and set yourself up to counter the next 5 turns?

Survival Strategy

If so, you win the round. You don't need to destroy the enemy - you simply need to survive and save as many people and power as possible. If the enemy attacks a building, you lose power to the grid. If the power ⚡️⚡️ is gone, it's game over. Humanity is doomed... in this timeline anyway. Into the Breach is is a slow paced strategy puzzle game of thinking ahead and protecting your assets from all directions, occasionally sacrificing your own life. You're expendable, but the universe is not.

Enemies are varied and differ from island to island, with map mechanics and your own varying team abilities thrown in. So calling it similar to chess is a very simple analogy - it's a lot more complex with a lot more components thrown in to the mix. If you're thinking it sounds a little too cerebral, you don't need an eidetic memory as the moves from your opponents are telegraphed for the next turn which simplifies things in the short-term. As you go up in difficulty and play around with different team mechanics, strategy definitely intensifies.

Oodles of replayability

In addition to unlocking different teams with different abilities that seriously affect the way you play the game, you can purchase upgrades and have to decide how to power them. You can level up your pilots who can die (your mechs keep fighting, but you'll need to find a new pilot to boost their stats). You can choose the island you play on, and which map you play, with different maps having different goals for rewards. Of course, the harder the challenge the higher the reward - and risk. Even after beating the game, there is a ridiculous amount of replayability here with achievements that reward you with coins that can be spent on unlocking different teams.

Boo 😱, RNG

My only criticism is like any game with random chance, there is an element of frustrating RNG that can sometimes mar the experience. Although there are no XCOMesque hit chances and you know exactly what you and the enemy will do, the map placement and bonus events can sometimes make playing a perfect (or even good) game feel impossible, especially on the hardest difficulty. On the whole though, I do think that a loss is mostly going to be your own fault. Thanks game, for reminding me that I'm not a tactical genius.

Unique and Addictive

Despite this being heavily advertised as a game from the makers of FTL: Faster Than Light, don't be mistaken into thinking Into The Breach is similar in mechanics. It's a completely different genre and has nothing really similar gameplay wise. What it does have in common is that it's a well-polished unique game that'll keep you playing time and time again. Even when you lose horribly. That's a pretty good thing to have in common!

It's a highly recommended from me on this one. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Posted March 17. Last edited March 17.
Farm Together is exactly what it says it is - a casual farming game designed to be a relaxing timewaster. It's almost like meditation in a video game, something repetitive you can do to reset your stress levels. It feels very similar to a mobile game with the real-time time-gating, but has no in-game microtransactions at all. Whilst early on in the game (the first hour) you might be sitting around waiting for your crops to grow, the game quickly develops into an addictive what's-next game where there is literally not enough time in the day to do everything in your farm. So ultimately, the time factor becomes more of a simple strategy as to what crops to place and where, rather than an actual gate.

⌛ Play with Time, not with Microtransactions ⌛

With no automation (although you can unlock the tractor which farms in blocks of 9 rather than your 1 by hand), by the end of a few hours play I found I had a fully functioning farm with half a dozen crops, 4 different types of trees, chickens, pigs and a selection of buildings. From that point on, there is always something that needs watering or harvesting and I've only unlocked the first tile of many! That's the cycle of the game - you don't want to quit as there's always just one more thing to do, then another, then another, and then another... I would really love to see things like automatic sprinklers for watering, and perhaps even hiring staff to go harvesting for you.

But the farm keeps going whilst you're offline, so the motivation is all in your head and you can spend 5 minutes doing some tasks and then leave it to keep going and when you log on the next day, there'll be tons to do. Bear that in mind if you have an addictive personality and are known to spend too much time gaming (aka, me for sure!) you might find yourself never logging off.

🐔 Simple, casual concept 🐔

This is no Stardew Valley or Farm Simulator and it doesn't want to be. It's a basic concept designed for people who just want to create a farm without having to think too much about it. This is farming at it's most simplest. Plant, water, harvest. Upgrade. Plant, water, harvest. There are a few nice customization options in between, with cosmetic buildings, items, fences and paths, so if you like making a pretty farm there are some options there.

🍆 Accessible co-op 🍆

I forced my husband to play with me for a few hours (he hates this type of game so bribery was involved) to test out the co-op and it works reasonably well. You can jump in and out of other players games, and they can change their settings to allow people to just farm or have higher modification permissions. It does need some work, as right now you can only change friends or not friends. I have 300 steam friends and I only want to give my husband permissions, but this doesn't seem to be settable on a personal basis. Additionally, the farm is hosted locally and as such if your friend isn't online, you can't contribute to their farm, so you can't truly have a co-op farm that's run by multiple people. The host would have to leave their PC and game running 24-7 to allow for a truly multiplayer farm. Still, what's there is very easy to use, intuitive, functional and fun (if you enjoy this sort of game).

I think it would make a great family game, with a parent hosting and everyone helping out and it should run on even a potato machine.

My husbands verdict: Addictive, but pointless. He also said "Why did you make me play this and when do I get my <redacted> as payment?" So, definitely not for everyone.

My verdict: A relaxing one-cost alternative to the casual mobile / Facebook farming genre.

🍌 A good start. If you like this sort of game 🍌

It's all rather basic right now but it's a solid early access foundation for what seems to be a well thought out and very cute casual farming game. If this is your style of game you will know it from the store video and screenshots. Looking forward to seeing how this evolves with time. But even in these early stages, it's a thumbs up from me. Now, time to go harvest some grapes.. 🍇 🍇

Posted February 25. Last edited February 25.
An alien civilization has been discovered. A brutal, warring race must be closely observed, but not engaged. Our research vessel - the Espial - has gone dark and it's up to me, a sole investigator to figure out what's gone horribly wrong. Through exploration of a small space station, you have to piece together the clues left behind in this first person walking simulator puzzler to figure out where the crew are and what's happened.

The graphics are detailed and the game is visually stunning. The characters are given depth by email messages, communication messages and well voiced audio logs. The Espial feels alive and genuine, with personal belongings scattered about rooms that help give the characters personality even without meeting them. Lights flicker and respond as you move through it, doors whoosh satisfyingly and the visuals at every turn are compelling. The atmosphere is immersive, oppressive and occasionally had me jump in a few places - but more because I'm a nervous gamer than design. It's a sci-fi thriller, but not a horror. The fear is in the unknown... and in your imagination.

The puzzles are simple and structured around observational skills more than anything else, although though there were a few moments of thinking. The gameplay is linear. You can do a few steps and listen to a few logs in different orders, but you can't affect the ship, crew or story in any way. My attention was captivated and I kept moving forward, finishing this game in a single sitting. The ending was interesting, a conversation starter for sure.

The major downfall of The Station is it is short. Less than 2 hours to 100% the game and listen to every audio log, read every email and communication message and pick up 90% of the items whilst turning them around and examining them. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of screenshots I took. I imagine that a repeat speed run could be done in 15 minutes. I would have loved this game to be expanded so much more. Although it does work as a short piece and the story immersive and characters well fleshed out, I feel like the price is going to be a stumbling block for the cost.

I thoroughly enjoyed my short playthrough of The Station. Graphically detailed, atmospheric and intriguing, this is a sci-fi story well worth experiencing. Whether it has enough value at the current selling price is up to you.

♥♥♥ If you find the reviews of an old Welsh lady interesting, please follow My Curator Page. ♥♥♥
Posted February 23. Last edited February 23.
Note: I was given a review copy of this game through my Curator Group

OPUS: Rocket of Whispers is a strange game, a story driven adventure, an apocalyptic scavenger hunt, part sci fi, part urban adventure, part fantasy. We play John, the son of a rocket engineer who along with Fei, a young Witch of Earthology fresh out of a cryogenic sleep, must scavenge a desolate landscape ravaged by an apocalyptic plague to build a rocket. Tormented by the spirits of the dead, the rocket must be built so that the witch can send the ghosts to the stars, where they can finally rest. Bit bizarre to say the least!

It's certainly an odd concept and a lot is left unexplained and to the imagination, but it's unique, special and extremely immersive. With a haunting, melodic soundtrack and well written dialogue, it grips at the heartstrings and tugs, tugs, tugs.

The gameplay alternates between top-down 2D scavenging an icy town, filled with lingering ghosts begging to be released and dialogue at the rocket factory, where you're putting together the parts that you manage to scavenge and the story-driven rocket factory. In the rocket factory we can talk to Fei as we progress and unlock collectibles that are needed for the side quests. There are 21 side quest items in total and you also have main quest items that you have to scavenge and assemble. There's no map although there is a mini-form of quick travel that you unlock, meaning a lot of the scavenging is progressive memory based, but fairly simple.

The story is revealed in tiny segments, with enough lore to keep you on the hook and wondering not only what will happen next, but what has happened in the past. It's an experiential adventure that wants you to think about things - philosophy, death, loss and mystery crossed with a scavenger hunt that encourages you to explore to unlock items. I wanted to keep exploring long after the night had fallen and it was too cold to continue.

Developed by Taiwanese indie studio SIGONO, I was a little concerned about the translation - but no need to fear, the English is flawless. The game originally released in September 2017 on iOS and the Play Store, but it runs beautifully on PC, with muted colours and stylized graphics that seem to fit the theme perfectly and lends to the atmosphere of a frozen urban wasteland. Of course, there is a question of price, as it is available on mobile platforms for $1.99, significantly less than Steam but I personally think it's worth paying more to get the experience in maximum resolution with an amazing soundtrack.

A playthrough took me just over 4 hours and there's no real replayability here. I achieved all but one of the achievements in my single playthrough and completed all the collectibles. The one I missed was purely my own fault and would be easy to obtain by just reloading the game if I actually wanted to 100% it. So I'd say 4-5 hours depending on your reading speed will get you a pretty thorough playthrough.

Whether you decide to pick it up on mobile or PC, this is a game that I strongly recommend.

OPUS: Rocket of Whispers exceeded all my expectations and is an original, compelling experience well worth having.

Posted February 10. Last edited February 10.
Good Looking History

Limbs fly and blood pools across the floor as I hack my way around 120AD Roman occupied Britain. I smash an archers head into the floor repeatedly until he is decapitated and then turn, lobbing it as a missile into an oncoming centurion, knocking him to the ground.

Wulverblade is a side scrolling brawler where non stop button mashing action blends with historical interest, set to the backdrop of a colourful, cartoonish style. The graphics appeal to me aesthetically with detail and layered environments. I loved the animated backgrounds which added immersion, such as a flight of deer running behind you in the forest, crows watching you from the foreground or a distant battle taking place. The animations are smooth and fast with satisfying combos, a rage bar for ultimate annihilation and the ability to call upon your wolves once per level to savage the enemy. I recommend you save it for when you're being overwhelmed, as this game really does love to throw numbers against you.

The amount of historical depth was impressive - with lots of information, cut scenes and collectibles. Even the odd secret or two to discover.

Simple Gameplay

The gameplay is a little generic and I felt it was somewhat lacking although some might find it simply nostalgic. We have two main moves, light and heavy attack, with an array of weapons, both melee and missile which you pick up from fallen enemies as well as an essential block. There are breakables, food items and collectibles, but the only progression is in the story and how long you can survive. There are no increasing stats, no where to spend your mad loot (it simply accumulates your high score) and after the first few hours my fingers were numb and it was time to take a break. I didn't really feel I was playing with any skill or learning much as the game went on, purely charging at enemies and hitting X until I was surrounded by blood and bodies.

There is a boss fight to every level, but they're heavily telegraphed and not too challenging. The biggest challenge came from hordes of stun-locking enemies who kept knocking me down, which was a little bit more frustrating than I'd like. Bear in mind though, I'm not exactly good at video games so this probably could have been avoided. On the whole, I found the normal enemies more challenging than the bosses, just because of being overwhelmed by numbers.

Bring a Controller to the Party

The game is not well optimized for keyboard and mouse, to the point where I personally found it unplayable. The keys cannot be rebound, and I've never seen a game that makes you hit k, l and ; for your moves. It just didn't work well for me at all. I switched to controller about 10 minutes into the game, which is intuitive and responsive, and I simply don't consider keyboard and mouse a viable option for me with these controls, which is a little annoying for a PC release.

It's a shame that the gameplay didn't have more depth and customization as I prefer my action to have a little bit of RPG added into it, but some will enjoy the simplicity of the arcade-brawler and what's there is done very well, as long as you're willing to pick up a controller.

The art and history behind this game kept me playing far longer than the gameplay did, but it's worth mentioning that it supports full online co-op and this is definitely a game I'd enjoy playing with a friend. At around 5-6 hours for a playthrough and then high score modes available, you'll have to judge whether it's worth the entry price of £11.39.

I'd recommend it if you really enjoy the arcade action of a side scrolling brawler coupled with an interesting setting and attractive aesthetic.

Wulverblade certainly has style, but I'm not completely sold on the substance.

Posted February 8. Last edited February 8.

A developer has responded on Feb 9 @ 2:07am (view response)
< 1  2  3 ... 11 >