Recent reviews by Astral Projection

< 1  2  3 >
This is a fairly high entry-barrier and learning-curve space simulator. If that is your cup of tea then dive in. If you just want to fly around, blow stuff up, do some missions, (like Xwing or Wing Commander) this is not your game.

Similar to Eve Online, I love the idea of Elite but not the implementation. But I can see why other people enjoy it.
Posted March 30.
Definitely worth it.
Posted March 23.
Pros:

+ cool UI

Cons:

+ ultrawide resolutions not yet supported ;(
Posted January 11.
Ehhh ... not sure if rose-colored glasses or out-dated gameplay ... but every iteration of this game is not as good as 1.6.

Huge fan of CS, Condition Zero, and Source. Re-install CS:Go every once in a while but just cannot get into it... ;(
Posted January 11. Last edited January 15.
Recommended. 61 hours to finish. Basically Baldur's Gate but in a different setting except:

- you create all six party members
- less dialog, more combat
- you don't get XP for stuff like disarming traps or opening locks, just combat or quests

There's some challenging combats even on normal difficulty. If you like Dungeons & Dragons, min-maxing, crafting the perfect party, and crushing your enemies to see then scatter before you, then you cannot go wrong with this game.

Minor gripes: occasional annoying pathing of characters, some possibly too large difficulty jumps in encounters (depending on your party composition), and a few minor glitches like ability hot keys randomly getting reset.
Posted September 1, 2017. Last edited October 11, 2017.
Highly enjoyed Enemy Unknown but hard to recommend this one:

Pros:

+ pretty cool story
+ looks better than EU

Cons:

- extreme ability, balance, and level design issues where 1 round of RNG requires reload
- game needs mods to be playable, at the very least remove mission timers
- "tactical" but 80% of missions have timers that require charging in
- the "concealed overwatch" feature is often useless due to mission timers
- inadequate tutorial
- extreme front-loaded difficulty
- loot disappears in 3 rounds for no apparent reason
- every gun has too little ammo, prepare to spend many turns reloading

Overall was a slog of extensive save-scumming to complete...
Posted August 7, 2017. Last edited January 15.
Open world RPG with turn-based combat. Fun combat, interesting world, quirky dialog, great voice acting, excellent graphics. If you like RPGs you cannot go wrong here. This is a future genre classic.

Highly recommend the *6-man Party Mod* even for first time through.
Posted May 2, 2017.
Highly recommended:
  • RTS style mass combat with castle sieges.
  • Turned-based strategic overworld campaign with territory aquisition and surprisingly deep diplomacy.
  • Warhammer setting so huge variety of races, units, heroes, tech, and abilities.
  • Multiplayer coop is extremely fun.
  • Fairly deep learning curve if you are new to Total War.
  • Ultra-wide resolutions like 2560*1080 really shine here.
Posted March 28, 2017. Last edited May 22, 2017.
Isometric RPG, turn-based combat, 4-character party, great graphics, heavy on dialog, lots of non-combat challenges, light on combat. Many paths to finish so lots of replay value.

25 hours to finish for me. I did most side quests that I could find, but not all.
Posted March 7, 2017. Last edited March 25, 2017.
This is the spiritual successor to "Syndicate" an old-school 90's game. I never played Syndicate but I really like this.

Pros:
  • top-down, squad-based, real-time, tactical stealth and combat, in a near-future Cyber Punk setting
  • classes have very distinct roles and abilities, most of which are quite useful
  • controls are like Baldur's Gate, but without the tactical pause, and less control of units
  • to make up for lack of "tactical pause" there is a "bullet time" skill that slows down time
  • graphics are great, the city is HUGE, and there are no loading screens
  • emergent gameplay in a giant sand-box city
  • awesome music and atmosphere
Cons:
  • I'd give my left nut for a tactical pause key
  • I'd give my right nut for a "fire from position" key
  • due to massive city and no load screens, the engine isn't kind to lower end machines
Draw:
  • 100% game play, 0% roleplay, no real character development or choices besides skill points or which mission to do next
Despite the fairly minor drawbacks, the game is pretty damn compelling and fun. I didn't try multiplayer. Finished the game in 32 hours with 88% completion rate.
Posted February 22, 2017. Last edited February 27, 2017.
< 1  2  3 >