Posted: Dec 16, 2017 @ 1:36pm
Updated: May 25 @ 2:57pm

Hollow Knight is an absolute masterpiece and definitely one of the most impressive 2017 titles. It features crisp visuals, both cute and unnerving; incredible music; and an absolutely insane amount of content for the price, complete with three free DLCs. Any metroidvania hinges heavily on its world being big, diverse, and filled with secrets, and boy does Hollow Knight deliver.

As for the gameplay, Hollow Knight achieves exactly what it sets out to do. It is a challenging game that often delves into precise platforming territory, which is why in the end I finished it on YouTube. Do keep this in mind when making your purchasing decision.

However, even if, like me, you only complete 1/3 of the game, I'd say it's still worth it. Taking place in a long-lost insect kingdom, Hollow Knight is Morrowind meets Dark Souls in terms of its impeccable mood and atmosphere—sad and desolate. It's just a perfect place to be in, and in the end, this is what video games are all about. Hell, even the less than obvious plot, told though descriptions and short NPC ramblings, is actually rather interesting.

Hollow Knight is a very good game that won't be to everyone's liking—but I think everyone should give it a try.

If only to see whether the tragedy of small cute bugs, mantises, and caterpillars can make you feel bad.

EDIT MAY 2018: The game is so good, it haunted me all this time. So I went back and finished it. Improving my skill from struggling with simple jumps to beating the White Palace was absolutely exhilarating.

I'm clearly a below average platformer player, but if I've managed to do it, so will you.
alphyna Dec 24, 2017 @ 1:19am
Azimuth, I think you missed the part of the review which says,

> Hollow Knight is Morrowind meets Dark Souls in terms of its impeccable mood and atmosphere
> in terms of its impeccable mood and atmosphere
> mood and atmosphere

In this small tidbit, there's not a word about the similarities of mechanics, lore, or worldbuilding (which have nothing to do with Morrowind and little to do with DS).

I know that people constantly comparing stuff to DS because it's hard or something is annoying, but it's not what I was saying. :zote:
Azimuth Dec 24, 2017 @ 12:42am
"Morrowind meets Dark Souls" is a strange comparison and it really makes no sense. I know it's popular to compare hard games to Dark Souls, but mechanically there's nothing similar here. The atmosphere and story telling is heavily inspired from Dark Souls, but that's about where it stops. Morrowind didn't invent extensive lore and world building. I don't understand why people make comparisons like these, when they aren't even the same genre. More importantly, the games you're comparing it to do what they do better than Hollow Knight, which makes the game sound worse than it is. Hollow Knight is fantastically put together and is a benchmark for Metroidvanias in the future. It surpasses most Castlevanias (keyword: most) and Metroids, including Samus Returns. Its world building, artstyle, fast-paced combat, and variety of playstyles gives it an edge on the genre.
It's still a good review, mind you. I just wanted to point out why comparing it to those games is a bad idea. :dungdefender:
alphyna Dec 18, 2017 @ 5:09am
ilitarist, that's not true at all. I think it's very successfull gameplay-wise, in that it achieves all its goals.
ilitarist Dec 18, 2017 @ 1:22am
Very "artsy" game. Certainly depends on aesthetics more than on gameplay.

Art and music left me completely indifferent. Perhaps cause I don't like insects at all. So it very much depends on your taste - I adore metroidvanias but this one haven't clicked at all.
alphyna Dec 17, 2017 @ 5:37pm
Well, it still boils down to requiring good coordination. Which is something you can improve if you want to, but, like I said, it clearly occured to me that I was improving way too slowly to have fun and my backlog was too big to spend so much time on trying to master one game. At least I honestly admit it! :zote:
TheGrishch Dec 17, 2017 @ 5:10pm
Hollow Knight puts both types of challenge to the extreme.

As I'm getting it, the platforming part of challenge is hardly about skill: it's about perfect timing and knowing the route. So, no matter how skillful you are, you may still suck in a new location. I expecienced it the hard way: the White Palace was hard, but after that came the Path of Pain. And it was nothing like picnic.
alphyna Dec 17, 2017 @ 4:50pm
TheGrishch, yes. I did have fun with the bosses I have beaten. (Although the lack of i-frames did make it slightly less enjoyable than, say, Salt and Sanctuary.)
TheGrishch Dec 17, 2017 @ 4:35pm
So, let me get this straight: it was the platformer part (all that precision jumpie-thingie) that freaked you out, not the boss-fighting. Or is it some other kind of difference in challenges that I'm not seeing here?
alphyna Dec 17, 2017 @ 2:32pm
TheGrishch, quite so.

Also, well, I would like to have had the skills to beat the game while having fun, but after spending several hours on much easier sequences I've decided to let it go. I also do love challenging games, it's just that not every person has to enjoy every type of challenge.
TheGrishch Dec 17, 2017 @ 1:04pm
So, you just watched the 'true ending' sequence on youtube, huh? No white palace, no radiance?
I do not approve of the approach, though I have to admit you must have saved yourself from a medium-sized hell back there.