Рецензирани

< 1  2  3 ... 26 >
Показване на 1 — 10 от 258 записа
24 души намериха тази рецензия за полезна
13.2 изиграни часа

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure is a linear point & click game that takes you on a mostly-not-so-dark Lovecraftian adventure with what I would consider easy to moderate puzzles throughout. Where this game truly shines is the writing, the voice acting, the art, and the animation. It's amazing that this is developed primarily by a small team of three people. Here, you are looking at a really high quality indie project that has been put together with the touches of love and passion on the part of the developers.

Of course I only played in English and I understand that as an infant, this game has had a bit of difficulty with learning other languages. Unfortunately the developers paid for professional translators in multiple languages that yielded less-than-ideal results. I think everything will improve with time. These developers listen to their audience. During the first few days after release, people asked for the ability to turn on and off subtitles. Amid fixing a few errors, but mostly dealing with the translation fiasco, the developers pushed out the first update allowing players to control the subtitle displays.

With any story, especially linear ones like this, the character development is very important. You end up controlling at various times three different protagonist. You really get to know them and appreciate them individually. You are sometimes Buzz, a half-Romanian librarian with an everlasting 5 o'clock shadow; other times you play as Don, a hard-boiled detective with a dry humor who grows with the strange story; and finally, Kitteh is the final protagonist, a cat who not only knows how to read, but to speak as well through the events that occur in the beginning of the story.

There are many themes explored in this game, along with many literary and pop culture references that are thrown into the dialogue and the jokes. The writing, with its many many lines that must have taken forever to put together, never loses track and never wavers from its desired effect of continually pulling in the reader/audience. Add that to the atmosphere created by the instrumental recordings and you end up living the story and its events, despite the surrealistic nature of it all.

I have created an entire Let's Play series on YouTube of this game, I am linking the playlist here (as the game is very linear, you may find it useful should you be stuck on a puzzle, though I do have to say, be careful with spoilers):

First video:

Traditional point & click with a series of fairly straight forward puzzles.

Mouse is all you need, though the space bar on your keyboard might come in handy.

The art in this game is just purely lovely to look at. And the animations are well-beyond what you would expect for such a small-team project.

Music
As noted, really well done with instrumental recordings for the appropriate sounds in each situation in the game.

Any Lovecraft fan would definitely enjoy this game very much. Do not expect too difficult puzzles, as everything does make sense and the hints are easily found. Even for someone who does not play a lot of point & click games with the expected puzzles, this game would be fairly fun and intuitive to progress through.

You will have to decide whether or not $19.99 at baseline is worth it for you. For me, the adventure with the excellent art, music, and voice acting was more than enough to warrant the asking price. Of course, given its linear nature, you will likely not be replaying this game any time soon after completing the first time. Like any good book, there's always a good chance that you will go read it again. One run will take you anywhere from 8-10 hours likely. I was trying to click on all possible conversation dialogue choices for my Let's Play series, and it took me about 13 hours. (Included was a few moments of me being stumped on a puzzle or two.)

Positives
+Wonderful story and unique character development
+Excellent (well above-average) voice acting (despite a small crew)
+Really nice references embedded seamlessly
+Outstanding art design and animations
+Humor in different parts, employed through different types of jokes
+Very responsive and active developers trying to make sure that you have a good experience!
+Achievements for those of you who enjoy having them

Negatives
-Puzzles perhaps a little too easy mostly for the point & click veteran
-Just a personal note on the depiction of the gibbous moon, as the choice used is the waning gibbous, which is a little bit off from the plot development (I will just leave it at that to keep the review spoiler-free)
-Small bugs (nothing game breaking)

Conclusion
Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure is a linear point & click adventure, yes, but it has so much to offer in the various pieces that combine to make the game a whole. I had a lot of fun running through it, and I look forward to more games by this small group of developers. I do hope that they are no longer stuck in an attic though.

Overall rating 8/10.

Публикувана 12 август. Последно редактирана 12 август.
15 души намериха тази рецензия за полезна
0.6 изиграни часа

Feather is a casual and relaxing flight simulation game that is good for those moments after a long work day and wanting to decompress. To be sure you know what you are getting yourself into, please be aware that the game has, as per the store page, "no enemies, no combat, no threats, just peaceful flight."

The controls are very intuitive and work very smoothly. There is no learning curve needed. I played with a controller and everything felt right at home. I hopped in and started flying.

While it can be one thing to have no stress and no combat, it is quite another to not have any objectives at all. Thta is where this game is severely lacking after playing it for about 1/2 hour or so. All I have done is wander around the island, look at the scenery, listen to the music, and try to explore as much as I can. There are no in-game objectives, and there is only one achievement (for basically starting the game up).

In terms of using this game for merely relaxation and soothing the soul, it works very well. I made a gameplay video of me jumping into this game for the first time and then just wandering around for that half hour, you can find the video here:

I had a lot of fun exploring in this video, and I think the sights are absolutely wonderful. Yeah, the graphics could be better, but I think it's good enough for what it is. The music is all so relaxing, just to go with the intent of this game, so that's really very nice as well.

Looking at the reviews on the store page, most people haven't played for a whole hour, and that doesn't surprise me. Given that there is a single achievement that spontaneously unlocks and no other goals, most people would naturally redirect their attention elsewhere after playing once or twice. This is why having some more things to do in-game would be nice. The only thing I see is to fly into the different musical track regions' circular formations to have the music play.

I find it odd that you are not allowed to casually land on the ground, on rocks or on anything else. Instead, it counts as a collision and the game then backs up a certain amount based on the speed and type of collision. I wish I could land and do some other stuff instead of purely flying around.

Fly around and fly some more.

Very intuitive and easy to use. I used a controller that worked very well.

Nice art style, but there are a lot of repeating features. The island is split into several regions and in each region the trees tend to repeat.

Music
Pretty nice and relaxing soundtrack. You can change tracks any time by flying into one of the other circular soundtrack changing locations.

For anyone and everyone. It's easy to roam around and to play.

At $9.99 I really do think that the game should have some more objectives. The island is not too big but also not too small. There are enough regions to explore. But there is no other living creatures around as far as I can see. Having some more objectives would get people to replay this game more and to go after them. Then it would make the price more reasonable.

Conclusion
Feather is a really simple and casual flying simulator from the perspective of a bird with an island world that has a few distinct regions and is fairly unique to explore. Due to lack of in-game objectives and achievements, the game has fairly low replay value, especially because most people do not want to play something without a goal. It's perfectly fine to use to relax after a long work day for a few moments to decompress. The easy controls make it very much suitable for anyone in those circumstances. The price is a little high for those looking for an adventure because of the lack of things to accomplish in this game.

Публикувана 1 август.
19 души намериха тази рецензия за полезна
2.1 изиграни часа

Songbird Symphony is one of the cutest games ever made. Our little protagonist, Birb, does not know his origins, and he sets out on a musical adventure to find out just that. Through rhythm-based key-tapping musical gameplay, this game just just gushing bright colors and happiness. Even as the story twists and turns, we come to realize that not everything is all rainbows and unicorns, but the one shining Birb will always manage to come out with the joy of music and display it with his cute wiggly bottom.

Accompanying most of Birb's adventure is the half-hatched Egbert (an egg with two legs) who becomes a critical part of progression, as you can ask him to stand still or come with you in appropriate situations. You will find out quickly after playing with him by your side, so there's no mystery in it.

The game is really designed to be played with a keyboard, even though it has full controller support. The beginning few moments are totally okay with the controller, including the first two, maybe three, songs. After that, it becomes evident that having your fingers down on the keyboard is really the way it's meant to be. (Imagine a rhythm game that you are supposed to have 6 fingers on 6 keys, played with two thumbs across 6 buttons instead.)

From what I understand this is not a terribly long game, and you should be able to make your way through the campaign in 7-8 hours. It's not a game that's going to captivate all gamers alike. If you don't like rhythm games, you might want to hold back, despite the cuteness, because the main gameplay is rhythm-based music key-taps in addition to some simple platforming puzzles. For me, I can definitely identify this game as such a bright and cheerful game that I could easily return on any day when I am in a sour mood, for this game to wash all of my worries away.

I am not going to go on and on about this game, but just thinking about this game makes me happy.

I recorded my first half-hour playing this game, so you can find that video here:

Controller supported, Keyboard recommended.

One of the cutest pixel graphics games I have ever come across.

Music
The game lives off its music, and I think it's pretty good.

The rhythm-action sequences are of moderate difficulty I would say. I have played some other rhythm-based games in the past, and this doesn't seem quite so unforgiving as some others. Nevertheless, the difficulty definitely ramps up. Don't let the easy stuff in my first-look video mislead you too much!

Base price is $16.99 USD, and launch week right now offers a 10% discount. I think this game is totally worth it. But if you are just a frugal shopper, it's totally okay to wait for a better sale. For me, this is going to be one of my "happy pills" in the future. There's a demo available, so if you don't know whether to buy now, you can still go and try out the demo.

Conclusion
Songbird Symphony is just lovely. I have not a negative thing to say about it. Look at the demo to see if it's for you, or just pick up the game and have a blast. I definitely recommend keyboard instead of controller, and you will find out why pretty quickly. This is definitely one of the brightest games I have ever played in terms of emotional feel.

If the world were to ever end, you will find me playing this game--entirely at peace.

Публикувана 27 юли. Последно редактирана 28 юли.
18 души намериха тази рецензия за полезна
4.6 изиграни часа

Talisman: Origins takes the story behind the Talisman board game through single-player campaigns using quests and challenges. The game is rather confusing to a beginner player of the board game, that's for sure. I had very little experience with the board game, and so I worked my way through the tutorial before embarking on the adventures available.

There are two tutorials, a basic one and an advanced one. If you are new to the board game, I think that you should make your way through the first tutorial, start but not finish the second (advanced) tutorial, before heading into the main adventures. The first tutorial lasted about 1/2 hour or so, the advanced tutorial took me about 2.5 hours. Sure, you will learn plenty more by playing through the tutorial, but most of that learning is from playing, and not really being handed the information. At the end of the day, the adventure mode is perhaps a bit more involved and fun.

The other beef I have with the tutorial is that you can die with a few poor decisions. For the seasoned Talisman player, this is not a big deal, because you will not be making those kinds of simple mistakes. For me, struggling to stay alive during the tutorial is a bit discouraging as a new player to the game. Nevertheless, I persevered and slogged on and somehow managed to make my way through. But I can see how the tutorial might be enough to drive some other players to drink.

Now I am onto the adventure mode, and I have moved past a couple of chapters in the Great Wizard saga, and I have to say, I am having a blast. Most of the learning does happen as you spend more time with the game, whether it be this version in the single-player story modes or if you play the original Talisman board or digital games. Be prepared to sink a lot of hours, and I mean, a lot of hours, because this could easily be the next game that totally sucks you in for days, months, on end.

I think that the complexity of the rules and all of the different things that could happen is really great to see in this game, even without human opponents or AI opponents to sit across the board from you, there are still plenty of AI NPCs that have unique playing nature and strategies that they will give you plenty of exciting gameplay.

The best part of this game is the quests that you are given in each chapter as the main goal for story progression. It really adds substance to that single-player board game element. On top of that, after you clear the main quest, you will unlock several new challenges for that chapter so that there's plenty of replay value to try to go after those challenges. (I only wish that the challenges were displayed as optional objectives from the beginning, because in my first two chapters in the Great Wizard story, I have done multiple of the side challenges, but did not get acknowledgement for them because they were not yet unlocked.)

It is important to note that no matter how much you buff up your character in the story quests, when you progress to a new chapter, everything resets. So if you have what it takes to complete a quest, there is no reason to dilly-dally, because getting more stat boosts will mean nothing when it comes to the next chapter.

Initially I felt that the game was controlling me, because I felt that nothing was up to me, the RNG in the dice rolls really determined everything that was going on. That was until I learned the board spaces, learned some new cards, objects, followers and their special abilities that allowed me to feel more empowered to play the game in a way I felt comfortable with. Sure there are unexpected occurrences, such as when a card came along that made me lose all of my followers. It was a gut-wrenching experience that I had to remind myself that everything was going to be okay, that the heartache would eventually pass.

It is really nice that you can just quit the game any time and anywhere, the game will automatically save. When you start back on the same chapter, you will have the option of starting where you left off or starting that chapter anew.

Mouse only, please keep in mind that you can use the scroll-wheel on the mouse to zoom into the board. You don't have to stare at the spaces from a much higher vantage point and not know what the art looks like.

It's a board game with cards, it's nothing fancy, but the artwork is definitely nice.

Music
Tension-filled music is how I would describe the soundtrack. It is not intrusive and you can mute it to listen to your own music should you wish.

I do like that they are making such a good effort in generating a good single-player experience out of what is a primarily multiplayer board game. Targeted audience are the single-player board game enthusiasts and also fans of the original game.

There are definitely enough hours of content in the base game to warrant $6.99 USD base price. We will have to wait to see how many DLCs will eventually be available. Currently there is only one.

Conclusion
Talisman: Origins is a very much worthy single-player adaptation of the board game, in my opinion. Albeit you will know from reading above that I have little experience with the board game, I am having a blast with this version. The quests certainly make the single-player version of board game much more enjoyable.

The long, perhaps too long, advanced tutorial was a bit of a struggle for me as a new player, and I feel that others might have a similar experience. So please do look past it because the adventure mode and the quests are definitely worth it in the end.

I hope that the game doesn't have DLCs longer than a lot of people's Steam libraries, as Talisman: Digital Edition has. But for the base game and its asking price of $6.99, I think it's totally worth it. There are several different adventures available and enough quests and challenges to justify the price. Just know that the game will be showing you the available DLCs in-game so that you might be tempted even more, especially if you enjoy the base game. The DLCs in this game seem to be more epic adventures and more stories to unfold. Currently there is one available.

Anyway, at the end of all of my ramblings, I think you can tell, I am having a blast with this game, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys board games but who perhaps doesn't always have enough time or friends to sit down for a full game.

Публикувана 27 юли. Последно редактирана 27 юли.
13 души намериха тази рецензия за полезна
6.1 изиграни часа

Smash Up: Conquer the bases with your factions is an interesting board game that has a lot of variability in gameplay due to the different cards that are being used all of the time. Each game starts with each playing drafting two different factions (each 20 cards) in order to make up the 40 card deck that is then used for the game.

There are special abilities within each faction to work well with each other, and when combining two factions, often you can find some synergies that will give you even more chances of doing well. With nine different factions in the base game and four more added in the DLC, the combinations are many and how you play is entirely up to yourself.

The game starts with the players picking factions, and the game actually allows different players to pick the same factions, because the luck of the draw plus how you best manage your current cards will still play a dramatic role in how the game progresses.

The base cards are also placed down in the beginning, the number being the number of players +1. Since the game is for 2-4 players (AI), you will start with 3-5 base cards. The goal is to place enough minions or use actions to have enough power on a base card in order to score the victory points from the bases. First player to 15 points wins the match.

Each turn you can only play one action card and one minion card, unless you use the special abilities of many of the playing cards or the bases in order to play more cards to try to edge out the other players.

How you plot your advances is up to yourself, but many things happen mid-game that could turn the tides instantly. You may be trying to take over a base with high powered minions, and next thing you know the opponents are using special abilities to completely overwhelm you without even trying.

There's definitely a learning curve in this game. Learning the base game is fairly straight forward, but in order to play well, I feel that you really need to learn all of the different types of decks and how they work well within themselves and also with the other faction decks. Learning over time from experience will allow you to anticipate some stunts that you opponent may be trying to pull, so that you can counteract them more effectively.

There have been many expansions to the physical board game since it originally came out. Lots of fan-input led to significant new decks being created and distributed. Unfortunately for the digital version, only one of those expansions are available as a DLC, the rest are not there. Though the base game + DLC will have plenty of variability and replay value it would be nice if the additional content were also added. I imagine that perhaps they are not due to the drastic differences among each deck and all of the abilities that would need to get added on into the code from all of the random cards/bases from the expansions that it might get too messy. But who knows? Maybe it's just because the game didn't have a good reception from the beginning and further digital conversion plans got dropped. Either way, it's a real shame that they are not there, but the base game + 1 DLC does offer enough to be quite fun and enough to learn about.

I have read some of the negative commentary about the UI issues. It's not perfect, but it's hardly unusable. The interactive tutorial in the very beginning is very good about telling the player about all aspects of the UI and very basics to get started. I got used to it pretty quickly and had no problems continuing. The meat of the learning comes from getting to know the individual decks and how you can put the cards together for them to work well with each other. Inevitably for cards of the same faction, it is fairly easy to figure out. It's just a matter of getting used to it. But then tack on a secondary faction, and you are plotting out strategies in some games that you never thought could work, but somehow they do.

To get an idea of how the computer completely beat me up on medium difficulty (albeit that I am fairly new at the game and am actively learning), look no further than here:

Good tutorial, learn as you go otherwise. All of the rules are written on the cards. Try to outwit each other or the computer AI and gain more victory points.

Mouse, the UI really works fine.

Cards with minimal animations, feels just like the cards got transferred over to the PC.

Music
High energy, though can get repetitive after a few hours. You may want to turn it down and play your own music.

I think the card game is recommended for ages 13 and up. This is not a difficult game to learn, so a precocious 9-10 year-old should be able to play it too. The gameplay is not that complex, the difficulty is learning the different cards and working out how you can best use what you have in combination against your opponents. It will take some time to get to learn the different decks.

Price for the base game is $6.99 USD, and that gives 9 factions and 16 base cards. The expansion costs $1.99 and gives 4 more factions and a few more bases. Price is totally reasonable for this, though I do have to say that if you want to play online, make sure you and your friends coordinate. There seems to be not too many simultaneous online players (according to SteamDB). I have a press key and I am unable to access the multiplayer section. The kind folks at Nomad Games figured out the issue with the press key and I was able to play online with a friend, and the MP version is definitely more fun than against the computer!

Conclusion
Smash Up: Conquer the bases with your factions is quite a fun card game that will definitely have you going back for more, once you learn it and especially if you have a group of friends who want to play together. It's a board game that is made into the digital version here on Steam, but it definitely maintains its board game look and feel. I would recommend it for its single-player games against AI as I think it's fun enough as is, and if you have more people to play together, even better. (The MP game online with friends is definitely more engaging and fun than the single-player mode.) I do wish more DLCs are added to be able to access more of the physical expansion sets available for physical board game owners. There are just not enough people playing online at the moment, which is a shame.

Putting that all together, I would rate this game 7/10.

Публикувана 20 юли. Последно редактирана 22 юли.
14 души намериха тази рецензия за полезна
12.1 изиграни часа

Hero Express is a simple-to-learn, but difficult to master, arcade-style 2D side-scrolling driving survival game that features 11 different tracks with 11 different vehicles. I had personally played a mobile game with a similar feel a few years ago, and I am happy to have the same type of gameplay on PC with nicely worked pixel graphics and a difficulty curve that allows the most casual players to enjoy the game, while still presenting a challenge to those who consider themselves fairly good at arcade-style games.

While most arcade-style games of the survival nature rely on fast-reflexes and quick thinking, there is always a difficulty and challenge present. Similarly, there is a certain degree of difficulty that is preserved as the player takes on the different tracks with the progressive upgrades of the individually associated vehicles. You will run across some playing just so that you can accumulate enough credits in order to make the upgrades that you want on those vehicles, no doubt. However, the upgrades allow your cars to go a bit farther along the track, but not necessarily taking away much of the difficulty. This is seen in the fun design of the individual tracks that despite enough upgrades to complete each course, there are still challenges along the way that need to be considered for successful navigation of each track. The preservation of difficulty with these permanent upgrades is very welcome. And if you haven't had enough after completing each track on normal mode, you are then allowed to tackle it on hard difficulty. So be prepared to fail time and again before enjoying success in this game.

Along that same vein, I do feel that a game that has this "just one more" feel after each failure should not punish the player for playing well but not having enough upgrades on the vehicle. After all, even playing perfectly, or seemingly perfectly, does not allow the player to navigate the entire track without any upgrades. There seems to be a series of bottlenecks that are in the level design itself that will definitely trap the player until enough credits can be obtained and the upgrades purchased. Then again, playing poorly with a completely upgraded vehicle does not automatically guaranteed a win. You are definitely expected to make it farther with more upgrades, but those upgrades could put you into some dicey situations should you happen to use that extra engine power or traction that you hadn't considered before.

The game will take some time to get through, the developers mentioned likely 5-6 hours to get through the 11 tracks initially on normal mode, and then a similar time frame to play through on hard. Fortunately you get to keep your upgraded vehicles for the hard modes. For me, it's been a little bit longer, but probably because I am more reliant on upgrades and luck in certain runs to get through instead of skills. I haven't gotten through all of the tracks on normal mode yet, even though I have spent a little over 12 hour so far playing. But that doesn't mean you can't do it in a shorter amount of time. I have been trying to play on hard for some tracks as well. It's nice that the entire map is open from the beginning, you can pick and choose whichever you wish to take on without needing to unlock anything.

To see some not skillful gameplay from my first look, the video can be found here:

Keep your car running with enough fuel and try your best to get to the finish. The fuel will steadily consume even without you pressing the gas. Do some front or back flips or stay in the air longer for additional points/credits, but additional air time might cut away from your engine time that may be needed to get to the next fuel pickup. You can use the left stick/d-pad to stabilize the car midair, which is absolutely critical. And the run ends whenever you run out of fuel, fall into a pit, fall into water, or flip the car. It's a really simple set of rules and is very casual to get into, but to improve to the point of beating each level, you either need some skills or at least a few cases of good luck.

All of the levels are open from the beginning, and they each have their own vehicle, with track quirks and unique gameplay. So even if you have to upgrade and work your way up in each track, they feel fresh independent of one another.

Controls well with the gamepad. I did not try any other controls.

Very nicely done 2D pixel artwork.

Music
So the music can get really repetitive after a while, and you don't need it at all. I initially had the music on and eventually had to turn it off and listen to something of my own.

Appeals to a fairly wide range of audiences. Not for those who really hate to have a time limit though, because the fuel is constantly running down.

Launched today with base price of $4.99 USD. Definitely a reasonable price for this game.

Conclusion
Hero Express takes a mechanic that was originally found on an mobile game and transformed into a full game here on PC with 11 unique levels and at least a few hours of fun if all you are trying to do is to beat each level once. The game maintains a certain amount of challenge despite having significant upgrades purchased, so you will definitely find yourself getting better over time, but still needing a bit of luck/skillful maneuvering to succeed. It's fun and reasonbly priced. There's a bit of a grind at times, but nothing that's too dramatic. It's nice the entire worldmap is open from the beginning, allowing the player to play the tracks available in any order desired. Check it out if you think it's for you!

Публикувана 5 юли.
15 души намериха тази рецензия за полезна
4.0 изиграни часа

Take the classic game of Clue and mix in a group coop atmosphere along with a verbal cross of Charades and Pictionary in group co-op and co-laughter format, and you get this wonderful game, which has been nicely digitized and is quite affordable on Steam.

Just played this game for the first time earlier today with a group of friends, 5 of us total, and only one of us had any experience in the game whatsoever. We played 3 rounds of head-scratching goodness with plenty of intro- and extrospection and lots of self-ridiculing commentary. At the end of the day and everyone having headaches, we still sat around chatting about how much fun we had and that we definitely wanted to bump heads again in trying to really tweak in the inner-workings of each other's minds.

Even though the online community is small, there seems to be a fair number of people who own this game. So if you have a sizable friend list on Steam, chances are that you will have a few people who own this game and would be able to play with you. If you don't, there's a global lobby, though it was a little scant while we were hopping in and out of our own games earlier.

This game does support up to 7 players online, so it's a pretty good one for a lot of laughter. There is no single-player mode as far as I am concerned. It would not make much sense for you to be playing by yourself. The game offers a single-player campaign but really feels like it's primarily meant for multiplayer. You will find out right away after trying it out why.

Even though the game is played only with a mouse, I do not advise you, as I had before, to play with any beverage of choice in the other hand. You want to have your full wits about you when this game is running, seriously.

What I like about the game is that if you have a group of friends, and you all hop on voice chat and join a game, the game is a never-ending stream of commentary about why you are right and wrong at the same time in making your own choices. I am not really going to get into what the heck the gameplay involves, because you either have to watch some people play or you will have to jump in a couple of games, and you will know right away.

Get it if you like multiplayer coop board games and you have a group of friends that you want to play with. It's been bundled a few times recently, so you can probably get a copy even cheaper, though the Steam base price is totally reasonable. I think we are going to have plenty of hours of fun and banter with this title before we are done with it.
Публикувана 28 юни. Последно редактирана 29 юни.
29 души намериха тази рецензия за полезна
1 човек намери тази рецензия за забавна
11.2 изиграни часа
Рецензия от „Ранен достъп“

Deck Hunter is an Early Access card-battle roguelite adventure that currently shows a lot of promise, with an active solo developer. It has remarkable visual appearances, but the gameplay is rather unbalanced. So the short version is that you should probably wait for a bit more in terms of development before diving in. After all, the EA pricepoint is rather high and most people want a finished product at that price.

I am playing on Early Access build DH_EA_CU03 and while I am starting to have a better time with the game after the 8 hour mark, the continuous need for grind as I play really made me want to stop after the first hour or so. I am glad I pushed on, since I am finally starting to have some fun.

Currently there is 1 playable zone, out of the planned 8, according to the world map. In the first zone, The Forest, there are four "floors" and a boss at the end of each one. 15 steps separate you from the boss on each floor, in an always same sequence of Plant, Spider, Ent, and Wild Pig, with progressive increase in difficulty.

As you use the cards, most of them will level up. Using the cards in proper A + B sequential permutations also yield additional "Combo" effects, some good, some bad. You just have to play to find out what they are. There are issues currently with upgraded cards not having Combo effects with basic cards of the same type, making what should be a stronger set of mixed cards weaker. Some common three-or-more card Combos should also be considered for additional bonuses.

By the way, I really think the game should have a glossary/book of combinations available, maybe grayed-out until after you successfully perform each one. As it stands, I recommend a old-school pencil-notebook adjunct or a new-age spreadsheet to keep track. The ones you see often are fully etched upon the mind after a couple of runs, but some rare ones, and there are a lot, are difficult to remember at critical times.

That Grind
Let's talk a little about the game's grind. It's a roguelite, so there's meta progression. There is one playable character, Avery. She has a set of craftable equipment called the Forest Set, so I imagine (and hope) there will be more equipment for future zones as well. These items are permanent upgrades and can be toggled on and off as you wish. You get very little crafting materials from chests and mostly from beating bosses. So don't be surprised if you have to grind for a long time before being able to craft your first piece.

Another aspect of the grind is the experience collection and leveling up. You don't have more HP, and you don't hit harder with increasing levels. So why is it important? Leveling up unlocks cards that will be available to you in future runs. This is part of the meta progression in that the levels and exp are preserved after you complete a run or die. Everything you do will count toward gaining exp. The first couple of of levels do not take too long, but after that, it takes forever to level up again. I see in the screenshots on the store page that there's a level 10 character, so I know at at least you can get there. But the exponential experience requirement per level makes me shudder to think how long it will take to get there. I hope it will just end up being future zones/levels that will give higher exp to not make it a super annoying grind.

Those two thing mentioned above I can get behind, you can consider them beginning of game grinds. However, as this is a roguelite, the game sets you up with the exact same set of cards to start each run, and the variations happen after that. The problem is this starting set of cards, they are very basic and they take along time to level up. To be honest, in my most successful runs, I basically sat there for 15-20 minutes and repeatedly defended to level up my defense cards, waited until the enemies had shields and hit them with my attacks. Why? This game me the proper Combo bonuses in order to carry me into the "late" game. (Late is in quotation marks because it's just the latter half of this single zone available.) I have trouble buying into a necessary beginning of run grind that lasts so long to ensure success.

After the initial leveling up grind and crafting a couple of pieces of gear (which took me about 5-6 hours), and after a successful start-of-run grind, I can finally have some fun. So this is why I said at first that people looking right now should probably wait before getting into the game.

Mouse only works pretty well.

Really nice overall graphics. A lot of cards are still missing artwork.

Music
Jovial, not outstanding. Game actually starts with both music and sound effect sliders all of the way down. You can turn them up if you wish.

Those of you who don't mind a heavy grind + lots of deaths. Do not try to compare this game to Slay the Spire as there are significant and fundamental mechanical differences.

A little high for this early in Early Access. Only 1 zone available out of 8, lots of areas that need improvement. Starting price at 14.99 USD/12.49 Euro is a bit steep.

Areas I Wish To See Improved/Bugs Noticed
1. The grind that I find necessary for a successful run each time is too time-consuming.
2. Upgraded cards need to combo properly with basic cards. What is there doesn't always make sense.
3. Card deck needs sorting function when being viewed. It looks unruly when I am trying to count how many Wound cards but can't because they are all over the place.
4. Wells lets you remove 1-3 cards, needs skipping function.
5. Status effects placed on player by enemies do not last enough time on screen if they only last a single turn with one counter, because it goes away at the beginning of your turn.
6. Need log of events from the encounter to see what went on during the enemies' turns.
7. There is one enemy (maybe just the simple skeleton) whose Reevaluate function makes your cards all cost 5 energy. Can happen in the 2nd or 3rd room on the very first floor. Absurd!
8. AI is not too interesting, but when they do string together a combo, they hurt too much. Can completely ruin a run.
9. Question-Mark events is a wheel-of-fortune that seems to give more negative than positive outcomes (for me anyway).
10. Beast/Creature categories are strange. A spider is a creature in the first floor, but is a beast in the second (at least they are readily displayed, appreciated).
11. Third boss gives way too many wound cards, I usually end up with 9 per fight, and feel crippled through most of the fourth floor.
12. Only options accessible from in-run is the Music and Sound Effect sliders. Rest available in main menu. Why?
13. Alchemy (I have not done it very much) seems to remove the rest of the hand when two cards are combined into one. The rest of the cards should still be available. This leads to early end-of-turn.
14. Defense/Random Effect/AOE cards are played by dragging onto the screen, whereas targeted Attack/Effect cards are dragged onto the specific enemy. The hitbox for individual enemies vary, and some are really small, especially when depth effect is turned on. This could be adjusted for better QoL.
15. More enemy variety would be welcome.

Conclusion
Deck Hunter needs work, but is showing a lot of promise. I am having fun, but felt like the first few hours were wasted. I will be following it out of Early Access. Current price is a bit high, hopefully the final product will warrant it. For now, wait for sale or more development.

Публикувана 21 юни. Последно редактирана 21 юни.
22 души намериха тази рецензия за полезна
1 човек намери тази рецензия за забавна
2.3 изиграни часа

198X takes an arcade game time capsule from the 1980s and brings it to life through superb pixel art, awesome music, and amazing story-telling. Sure, it might be short overall, with completion time anywhere around 1.5-2 hours estimated, but the experience is quite a blast.

Take a trip down memory lane with very (and I mean very) forgiving retro-style (look, feel, the whole deal) arcade games recreated with so much love and attention found within this title. The game recreates five different styles of games with a really unique and fun gameplay element in each one, so no wonder this game claims to not just be this or that, in its really enticing trailer.

Despite all of this, what brings the game alive is the story-telling that fuses the empty space in between the games. The many threads of reality that are recreated in the 1980s style can be applied to any era and would have appropriate meaning. Inevitably the creative mastermind behind all of this had some irreplaceable feelings from yesteryear to generate such a palpable atmosphere that persists through the piece.

You will quickly find from people who write reviews on this piece that it will only last about 2 hours in length. It took me about 2 hours and a friend a little under an hour and a half. I ran into a few roadblocks that had me repeating a few things, and that's why it took me so long. Keep in mind those potential spoilers, I recorded myself playing for more than an hour, and the video is almost the entirety of the game itself.

You can find the video here:

I find it incredibly difficult to part ways with this work after only about 2 hours. Yes, I wish the arcade sequences were lengthier and have more substance, I find myself rather satisfied with what is already there. I wish the storytelling had gone on for longer, with more narrative, involving even more respective inspection. Perhaps I am asking for too much, because this game is already deep enough. Just the short duration makes me crave more.

Not going into more details, I definitely think that this game is worth your time. Every detail is worth mentioning, yet I hope that you experience it for yourself.

Controller worked perfectly fine. I see the store page says partial support, but I played through the whole thing with it.

Fantastic pixel art with some really nice animations. Everything looks so good.

Music
Outstanding OST, there are so many tracks fit into such a short time frame.

Well, look at screenshots and watch the trailer, you will know if it's for you.

9.99 USD/Euro will sometimes get you a lot more game time, but the experience of this game is unique and worth your money and time.

Conclusion
198X is such a wonderful experience, my only regret is that it's so short. I really want more of everything that's in this game. The store page advertises this as part 1 of the arcade epic. I am unsure whether or not this means that there's more to come, but I can definitely hope for it.

Публикувана 20 юни.
24 души намериха тази рецензия за полезна
6.0 изиграни часа

SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech is a beautiful RPG with turn-based card battles that has a very linear plot. In addition, there seems to be no randomness at all here. Not much is left up to chance or player options, other than the restricted deck-building aspect of the game. Even the leveling-up of characters is completely restricted to the progression of the story. This completely linear formula is what will keep the player going forward from beginning to end, but definitely will be rather unappealing to some people.

The story is written well and is rather funny; the artwork is absolutely stunning, and the music is very well composed as well. The deck-building mechanics and battles are mostly resembling of what is already out there, though there are certain degrees of variability to make it stand out, and really shine. You may have to grind a bit in order to unlock all of the available cards for each character, as well as obtain the appropriate upgrades as allowed by the invisible bottlenecks found within the game, should you grind a bit too much.

It is so lovely to see the many in-game references to other games as well, likely those others that influenced certain story ideas, styles, or gameplay for this game. They do a pretty good job at giving credit to other outside sources.

Card Game Mechanics
Boiling down to the basics, your entire deck is made up of 8 cards from each character, and you typically would draw 6 cards for your hand and be able to play 3 cards per turn. The cards will either accumulate Steam for you or they will use up Steam, which is reset for each battle. This is a charge system that allows you to play some more powerful cards once you have the accumulation of credits. There are bonuses that you can do to be able to draw more cards or to play more cards.

The most dynamic nature is the deck-building, due to the severe restrictions of number of cards from each character, when they have so many more to choose from. You will be able to unlock more cards for each character in the game as you progress, because you will find them in chests or you will craft them in the shop. The grinding happens usually when you are short on certain materials or money needed to craft cards, or when you need more money to purchase equipment. In addition, you will be able to upgrade cards like you craft new ones as well.

RPG Elements
At the foreground, there is a storybook linear progression with heroes, villains, and advancements. Your heroes will keep moving forward in pursuit of justice, or just a whim, and in their adventures, they will become stronger. They will accumulate more battle scars that harden into experience, levels, more HP, Strength, Magic, etc. They will come across equipment through looting chests or purchasing from shops, and the cards available will become more dynamic. They will have individualized special abilities for themselves and to help each other out. There are elemental strengths and weaknesses that allow the players to better choose the gear and cards to take into specific battles.

Even though you can skip story parts at any time, I definitely recommend that you actually pay attention.

At the end of each chapter, you will get a percentage completion rating for that chapter, so if you do not accomplish 100%, that means you left something behind. You can always return to an earlier chapter and replay the chapter and try to find whatever it had been that you missed. You will find that the dialogue skipping functionality to be rather useful in this case.

Difficulty
Everything is so regimented, that if you were to learn the cards, your enemies, and your own characters, nothing is really all that tough. There's the grinding as previously mentioned in order to complete your crafting/upgrading/purchasing, but you are not really grinding out any levels, because there is a soft level cap in each chapter that make subsequent battles worth little to no experience for your party.

The balance is there, and the game is made to be rather interesting. I think of the 3 difficulties, the middle difficulty labeled as "Knight" is designed to suitable for most players and I will agree with that. There is an easier difficulty and one that's a bit more difficult. I imagine that the difficulties have to do with the degree of and percentage of "smart" decisions by enemy AI depending on the situations that they are in. I did not check this out extensively, but the middle/normal/Knight difficulty seems to be pretty good. You can always switch among the difficulty settings at any point in-game.

Mouse only is fine, keyboard works with plenty of shortcut keys that are not necessary. I started playing with the mouse but switched to the controller, which is the best way to play this game, IMHO.

Absolutely stunning.

Instead of me telling you about it, you can look at some screenshots or you can look at one of the many videos out there. One of those is mine, as a first-look into the game, and can be found here:

Music
Really nice as well. Good sound effects. You can toggle off the non-speech dialogue sounds if they bother you.

I think this game will appeal to most people, as long as you do not have any preconceived notions of what this game entails. Please keep in mind that there is no open-world exploration, there is no randomness in the items/chapters/map layouts, everything is scripted and the story is very linear.

Base price is $24.99 USD, I think it's worth it, given the quality of the game and how much attention and time that must have gone into making this game.

Conclusion
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech is a lot of fun. Clearly a lot of sweat and effort went into its creation, and it really shows. It's not for everyone, because some people do not want to be led around an entire game, and want to do their own exploring and adventuring off the beaten path. That is just not an option here. What is here is good, is fun, and is worthwhile, though. So definitely look into it whenever you get a chance.

Публикувана 14 юни.