Posted: Feb 9, 2019 @ 7:14am

Destroy The World is a cheap, casual indie game in which you play as a destructive pink blob bent on destroying everything on each level. In a total of 6 levels, the only level that you can fail and need to restart is the final one. While initially satisfying to look at and to play, the game becomes tedious at the end of levels. You will find that the game becomes repetitive with some questionable topics explored through the actual gameplay itself, with really strange on-screen sound effects and narrative commentary as if you are in a competition.

I have a big issue with the extensive periods of looking for the final little bits of a level to destroy, before you can move on to the next level. You have to destroy everything before the game will consider your mission complete and letting you move on. Fortunately the maps are not too big, but each level involves no risk of failure or needing to reset except for the 6th level (final). During this time of purposeful but seemingly aimless wandering, the subjects being directly explored by this game will inevitably surface within one's mind. This happened to me, at least. In self-reflection while still playing because of these "down times," I started to wonder how I could even laugh at the massive destruction and killing, and it made me feel like a terrible person.

So while the game was fun for a few minutes, it became gradually less so, the repetitive motions and the nature of the game made me more conscientious about my in-game actions. Then half hour later, I made my conclusions and decided to stop playing. I will not be going back to play more. Thus I cannot really recommend it to anyone else either.

Destroy every environmental object/living creature you see by walking up to it, bashing it, jumping and stomping, pooping explosives, using a flamethrower, or firing a massive elephant cannon/shotgun until the terraine is no longer recognizable. You have to destroy everything, otherwise the game does not let you continue. It offers no hints as to where the last pieces of environment that you need to destroy is located, so you are left wandering around until you find it.

Controls decently, I played with a controller.

Nothing fancy, not bad either.

Casual players only, and that is if you don't mind the questionable subjects mentioned/alluded to within.

0.99 USD, cheap

Positives
+Local coop up to 4 players
+Controller support
+Casual
+Cheap

Negatives
-Getting the last bit of the levels takes so much time and fun out of it, with running, the pink blob moves too slowly
-Despite above point, still less than one hour of content
-Narrative commentary and programmed audience laughter at really odd times/places
-The questionable topics within makes it weigh heavily on the mind, especially during the aftermath of destruction, and needing to find the final bit of the level to destroy
-Very little replay value
-Not really fun beyond the first few minutes

Conclusion
Destroy The World is one of those games that unfortunately tanked in fun value after the first few minutes for me. I played on to see what the rest of the game had to offer. The repetitive nature made me really self-conscious about my in-game actions, which unfortunately made me feel like a terrible person. I play games to have fun, and this game delivered that briefly then took it away as well. For that reason I cannot recommend this game, and I don't plan to go back for more.

I recorded my entire time of playing in this video, take a look if you are interested:

YQMaoski Jul 4, 2019 @ 7:45am
@LordTelamon, it was just how I felt, pathetic or not. It was the stuff that came after the buildings. Anyway, still felt too repetitive and short, and finishing the level requires some slow running around that felt like a waste of time.
LordTelamon Jul 4, 2019 @ 2:27am
@YQMaoski "made me really self-conscious about my in-game actions, which unfortunately made me feel like a terrible person"

Really that's just pathetic dude? It's a game about a pink starfish that knocks over buildings it's not gonna pull on heart strings.
YQMaoski Feb 16, 2019 @ 7:35am
@Darkness2156, of course I am being serious about what I write. Playing a game, I often experience shock, joy, grief, fear, anger, pity, etc. The catharsis of gaming is such an important aspect of gaming for me in the evoked emotions. The emotions don't have to be positive for me to view a game positively, but since this was a strong thought as I played, I shared it in my review. I am not a robot systematically going through games only evaluating its technical value. I often place myself into the games to try to experience it fully, as Atticus Finch views justice through different perspectives. Plus, the investment into a game is beyond its monetary value, but also a time commitment. Even though the game is cheap and I was provided a free key, my recommendation is based on whether I am enjoying it and whether I would recommend it to a friend. As for YouTube, I don't monetize my videos, I only make them for people to have a better idea about the game. Views really don't matter to me.
Darkness2156 Feb 16, 2019 @ 12:14am
Are you fucking serious? Honestly,you're tying emotions to a game that's all about fucking around and having fun destroying stuff.You "feel like a terrible person" destroying computer generated characters and areas I mean come on man haha how sensitive are you? And how are you even complaining,this game is $1.00 and even then you got this game for FREE! I'm not even buying the game but your review is beyond ridiculous and I am definitely not watching your trash ass Youtube video nice shameless plug there too
YQMaoski Feb 9, 2019 @ 9:31am
Thank you, I agree 80% would have made more sense, because it would have been utter destruction no matter what. Really interesting question there, I think the levels with the ecological pollution, icecap destruction, animal mass murder, and destroying the US flag on the moon were what really got me feeling terrible. I think the topics are too realistic and on my mind in terms of a day to day sense about realistic worries made me feel that I can no longer enjoy the game. There's actually hardly any humans in the game at all. But if I were a giant human trampling a bunch of pink blobs and alien habitats, I would probably have different feelings, because of a lack of realistic relevance. Interesting question though, made me think outside of the box, so thank you!
x-st Feb 9, 2019 @ 8:35am
Nice review, providing a great summary of the game. Although I'm not sure I'd call it a game since it's just a paint the screen sim....if you replaced the buildings, animals and plants with long grass and the pink blob with a lawn mower it'd be the same thing. If I was the developer of this I'd probably ameliorate the tedium by changing the completion requirements to ~80%

Also question - if instead you were a giant human squishing pink blobs and alien domes would you still feel the same way about moral ambiguity?