0.0 hrs last two weeks / 6.4 hrs on record (4.9 hrs at review time)
Posted: Apr 15 @ 3:55am
Updated: Apr 16 @ 6:07am

One Finger Death Punch 2 is the coffee break game that will almost guarantee that you make it back to work late. It is one-handed carpal tunnel syndrome disguised as a game. Knowing that, you will still play and keep playing, because you just can't stop. It is the highly anticipated sequel in stick-figure brawling that does not disappoint. Mesmerizing battle sequences, new skills and weapons, numerous animations, more game modes all help to explain why those who are still playing the first game will welcome this breath of fresh air. Or perhaps you will focus so hard on the battle as to forget to breathe. That is a real possibility as well.

It really is stick figure violence at its best, with tons of animated bloody sequences nonstop waves of enemies through 600+ levels, not to mention the survival, gauntlet, and local coop modes. Unlike the first game, the No Luca No survival mode is unlocked in the beginning after you complete the tutorial, and so you can torture yourself with the simulated experiences of a video gamer who has a big gray cat who likes to interfere with the gaming experience. Although for me, Luca was the size of a panther on my 32 inch monitor. If anything, my wife had a great laugh watching me trying unsuccessfully to survive for long with him on the screen.

There are more than 1000 animations in this simple game, most of them new and better embelishments than the first. There are numerous skills and the skills themselves are easier to get and to make useful compared to the first game. Before, you needed to travel to certain locations, fighting every step of the way, in order to unlock skills. Now they are all in a big table, ready to be drawn upon from the very beginning. You can level up each skills up to three times, each time making it more likely you will use that skill. You will need to go to specific locations to win a battle to earn those skill points to use. But on the Skills table, you can remove activation points and reassign them as you wish. So the game offers good versatility without needing to wait until a certain part of the game to use a particular skill.

There's no story, and there needs not be one. The game shows the trials and tribulations of one protagonist stick figure (now with eyes and a few other customizable appearance modifications) making his way through non-stop enemies who just do not learn from their immediately-late predecessors. At least in the levels there is an eventual stop, but it's very amusing in the survival modes to watch so many stick figure people walk up to the chopping block, endlessly, knowing exactly what fate awaits them all. The fighting is of course carried out by the left and right mouse buttons, on your controller, or customizable on your keyboard.

Many achievements were removed 17 hours after launch, only 51 difficult-to-obtain ones are left. The game has so many achievements, 771 to be exact at time of release. With the new rules on Steam that new games can't have more than 100 to start, you know it's a big deal when a game is allowed so many more even before release. A larger percentage of the achievements are easier to obtain than in the first game, I would say. I have unlocked 560 of them (73% as of writing) in 4.9 hours. Yet again, there's going to be some that I will be pulling my hairs out and still won't be able to get. I just need to learn to settle with those bald spots I guess.

There is a bit of a manual difficulty setting within this game. With the default settings, you can press + and - buttons on the numpad to alter the game speed manually. There are some speed increase segments in-game that you cannot avoid if you are trying to play, but the manual speed bar you can toggle all of the way down to 1x speed to give yourself a breather if needed. The maximum speed on this setting is 3x I believe. With this manual speed adjustment, I do think that the game is overall made a bit easier. I do think this is an attempt to include more people who will be able to play and enjoy the game. There are also a lot of game setting options available, such as turning off screen-shake, etc.

If you are still reading, thank you, but I must urge you go try the game out for yourself. If you want to know what the beginning of the game looks like, I made a first-look video going through the tutorial, one main level, and then one run (my first) in survival mode. That video is here:

Default mouse left and right clicks, controller support works well, defaulted keyboard settings (no customization). Just remember, don't mash those buttons!

Wonderfully addictive stick-figure fighting violence with so many animations.

Music
Music is there, I don't really hear it much as I play, because playing requires so much focus. As for the accented narrator, he's still there. You can turn him off if you don't like it.

There is an option to turn off blood splatter effects, so it's less violent I guess? You are still using all kinds of weapons and killing stick figures in many creative ways whether that's there or not. You will have to decide if it's appropriate if you want to introduce the game to a younger one. The fact that you can play with a mouse means that you can hold a beer or other drink of choice with the off hand. Cheers!

Given the additions, improvements, etc. from the first game, a base asking price of $7.99 is very much reasonable. I know that 600+ levels is kind of arbitrary when there is no story, but it's a lot of levels to keep you at it for a while. Launch price right now at $5.99 US is a steal.

Positives
+Easy to learn, endless to play
+Fun and addictive
+Good price
+Exciting and good for playing and for watching. (You really miss a ton of what is going on when you are playing, so it's good to sit back and watch someone else play from time to time.)
+Local coop mode available. I have yet to test this, but I think a lot of people could find this to be an exciting addition.
+Tiered survival mode starting places with different difficulties that are unlockable. (Leaderboard scores stack with multipliers now, not just kill counter.)
+You can get about 500 achievements in about 4 hours, if you are into that kind of thing.

Negatives
-A few bugs, nothing too serious or game breaking for me so far.
-No remappable controls
-No map zoom and you have to click node to node, even through areas that you have cleared.
-Contributor of future carpal tunnel syndrome
-You heated your food up to munch on while you play with only one hand. Only your food got cold again and again because you keep forgetting to eat it.
-Seriously, very little I have to report back in terms of negatives of this game.
-Maybe too many achievements?

Conclusion
One Finger Death Punch 2 is a fantastic sequel to the original, with tons of additions, new game modes, and a boatload more levels. Why are you still reading? Go get it and start playing!

YQMaoski Apr 16 @ 5:10am
@Vulkandrache, unfortunately the game does not have remappable controls, they are still preset in this game. I will add this comment into the review.
Vulkandrache Apr 16 @ 3:14am
The first game only had 4 buttons configurations preset.
That was the one major flaw in it.
Can button be remmaped freely now?
YQMaoski Apr 15 @ 6:11pm
Thank you very much, I am glad you are enjoying it!
Awakeneer Apr 15 @ 4:44pm
Great review, as usual! :SpRad_ThumbsUp:

This sequel is fantastic and gladly we have Steam Cloud support now. I've never finished the first game because I lost my save after a failed Windows update that corrupted my OS.

OFDP2 is easily one of my best purchases this year so far.
I hope it becomes a hit. This game is too good to go unnoticed! :horns:
MOO Apr 15 @ 5:58am
welcome, dude
YQMaoski Apr 15 @ 5:37am
I am nowhere near finishing it, I was going by what the store page said, and that line is no longer there. A couple hundreds more levels can't hurt. Haha... I will go in and modify my review, thank you!
MOO Apr 15 @ 5:00am
their trailer says 600+ levels though
YQMaoski Apr 15 @ 4:37am
Thank you for reading!
onLooSe Apr 15 @ 4:30am
Great review as always! Thanks for doing this!