Posted: Jan 22, 2019 @ 10:36am

Ravva and the Cyclops Curse is a short indie game featuring retro-style puzzle platforming that is quite fun to go through. There are some fun puzzles to work through. The game is all about learning your way through the levels before being able to play through them well. The game is fun and super cheap, which is just as well because the game does not take very long to get through. Once you learn the different secrets within the levels, then it will be up to you to try to score high while still staying alive.

The game gives you the different types of attacks/weapons that you will need to make your way through the individual puzzle stages. The game requires you to shuffle through them all of the time and this can get rather bothersome. For me it took some time to get used to the set order of all of the powers, and eventually I became accustomed enough that it as less deliberately thoughtful just to use the one that I wanted to.

Overall though the game is quite cheap (base $2.99 USD) and fun; the simple stages, mechanics, and short levels make it reasonable for you to keep trying until you have perfected everything. I made a blind first-look video of my first take on the game, and you can see I was clearly having a good time. Once I learned how to make my way through a level, it was all about trying my best to move on and show you a bit of the next stage. (Please ignore my Steam-logged time because I played a few more hours offline while I was out of town to complete the game.)

Video here:

Predictable movement speed (single-speed), with a set number of different powers with all reproducible outcomes, with predictable jumps and enemy movement patterns make everything a learning process in this game. Once you learn the best way to go about doing something, then it's all about doing it correctly.

There is a certain amount of difficulty in getting everything right, as always, and it's interesting to find out after you have done the same thing in the same level several times that there's another way that is easier to go about it. The game saves progress so levels that you have beaten are saved.

The game features a pretty extensive tutorial that teaches you all that you need, and I would recommend playing through the tutorial at first.

There are 3 game filters, so if you can't stand the traditional look and feel of scanlines, you can just give yourself a smoother picture.

A Kids Mode allows you to play with disregard for deaths, so if the repeated dying and needing to reset bothers you, you can just turn this on and still play through the game.

Works perfectly well on a gamepad and I would definitely recommend it for any kind of retro-style games to stick with one. It just feels right to be playing a NES-inspired game with a gamepad using a few of the buttons. As some others have mentioned, it would be nice to have a continuous hold-to-shoot instead of needing to tap again and again.

Retro-style with 3 different display option. Artwork looks nice and there are quite a few enemy designs within a short game.

Music
Music is pretty nice for a small indie title.

Indie gamers and retro-style game enthusiasts will definitely enjoy this game. Plus, if you want another game to try your hand at speedrunning, this could be that next game.

Completely reasonable at $2.99 USD base.

Positives
+Great tribute to the traditional NES games with a friendly mode that does allow the player to explore without worrying about dying
+Predictable mechanics allows for progressive learning and improvement in game progress through a series of steps
+Achievements that are not too easy, but not too difficult to manage
+Well-priced
+Well-designed puzzles that will make you think about progression, yet still simple enough to not at all feel too challenging
+Different display options
+Nice artwork, cute cut-scenes, and a pleasant story

Negatives
-Continual tapping to fire may be improved.
-Secret finding got a little tedious, especially in the beginning when familiarizing myself with the controls. It felt that in order to not miss anything, I had to look everywhere and every-when and it artificially dragged on for a bit longer before I started to just move forward a bit.
-I think it would have been preferable to map different keys to the different abilities, so that you don't have to continously switch. It took a while before this felt more natural.

Conclusion
Ravva and the Cyclops Curse is a fun and short retro-style puzzle-platforming that will keep you on your toes for several hours, trying to find all of the secrets, learning the levels, and to try your best to maximize your scores. It's pleasant to look at, and if you grew up in the NES/FC era, you will feel right at home with the default graphic options. But you can also change the display settings to look more modern but still maintain that old-school aesthetic. The game is about learning the levels first then getting through them in a way that you wish. For a cheap price, you will have quite a bit of fun with this game.

GabZ !  [developer] Jul 13, 2019 @ 4:17pm
Thanks for this awesome review! You surelly covered every aspect of the game! I'm really happy you enjoyed your journey that much. We hear your negatives as well, thanks for sharing them too! It is realy nice to learn where we did right and were we could make some adjustments, so we really appreciate your feedback.
YQMaoski Jan 22, 2019 @ 11:38am