0.0 hrs last two weeks / 0.9 hrs on record (0.7 hrs at review time)
Posted: Feb 13, 2019 @ 5:22pm
Updated: Feb 13, 2019 @ 8:03pm

Experience is merely the name men gave to their mistakes.
~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

JUMPGRID is an awesome mixture of logical thinking, puzzle solving, on-the-fly learning with quick reaction speed mixed into one small game. The developer found inspiration from Super Hexagon and Pac-Man in creating this game, and those influences are clear as soon as you start playing. I have played several other games that have a similar feel and look as well, and I have to say that this game more than meets expectations. While this game is difficult, it is not impossible. You will ingrain the patterns of the individual levels onto your mind as you progress in order to play better, faster, with fewer deaths the more time you spend with this game. This is not a casual game or one to be played while you are tired and out of focus. This is a high-intensity game that you have to be prepared for many fails just to succeed.

The biggest draw for me is to have a game with such a simple idea fleshed out into so many levels, and so many degrees of mind-bending reactionary puzzles that I have to give it two-thumbs up. Usually simple ideas just don't translate into this much fun. But there's not that much fancy stuff going on, just avoid the incoming objects/shapes of various sizes that are all trying to screw you up, while you collect everything and move on. (I am currently stuck on a level that seems to give you one chance and it's a tightly timed level.

A word of warning to people who want to gun for those achievements, I perceive a large number of them to be pretty much impossible. (I know that some will get them, but I know that I am definitely not in that small fraction of the population.)

This video shows my first look gameplay (and where I got stuck there at the end):

The basic concept is easy, collect the boxes and leave through the portal that then opens up. Teleport from spot to spot with only 9 fixed locations that you can occupy, with wrap-around movement like in Pac-Man. Avoid contact with all of the things that could kill you instantly of course!

WASD or Arrows or controller D-Pad or the four right hand buttons as directions (take your pick).

Flashy, though simple and basic in design. Looks really neat.

Music
High-energy synthesized soundtrack that works well in this game.

Not for the casual players or those who really don't like timed elements or needing to react quickly on your feet (or fingers)

Base price of $4.99 is definitely reasonable. There's the standard mode and a speedrun mode. There are 100 psychedelic and mind-numbing levels to look forward to.

Conclusion
JUMPGRID is just pure arcade-style dodge-em-up fun that could be tons of fun for the right person. You can see me scramble my way through almost half of the game in the video above, and the one-more-try mentality that accompanies my playing of the game pushed my video to much longer than expected. Give it a shot since the base price is more than reasonable. I definitely recommend it.

YQMaoski Feb 14, 2019 @ 6:31am
You are welcome! :-)

This is definitely a very targeted-audience game. I personally love score-chasers and quick reactionary type arcade style games, so I totally understand.
SunlessMeridian Feb 14, 2019 @ 4:52am
I know this one is definitely not for me...and to compound that the speedrun option i the menu further pushes me away!

Your videos are also really useful tools in adding to your reviews, so thanks for them.