0.0 hrs last two weeks / 0.4 hrs on record (0.3 hrs at review time)
Posted: Dec 4, 2018 @ 7:00pm

Slingshot Explorer: The Twelve Towers is one game designed to break your will. Think you are skilled at retro-style platforming games? Well, then this game will be a serious challenge. Casual players please stay away, this is not a game for you. The game looks and feels like the traditional Donkey Kong arcade game, though the difficult makes even the first stage extremely difficult. I felt like a 4-year-old child unable to complete anything in the original Super Mario Bros when I picked it up for the first time. Although I feel like my learning and progression in that was faster than my current experience with Slingshot.

To give you a small idea (very small sample due to my inability to progress) of the game, here's a video of my initial look into this game, with nothing but failures to show in the very first stage.

Controller works really well, and is what I played with. Keyboard also works. There are very very controlled actions, just like in traditional platforming games, and the ideas are very easy to learn. Execution and progression, on the other hand, are littered with moments of frustration due to sheer difficulty.

Graphics and Music
Retro-style graphics, with a pretty nice first level soundtrack that is rather befitting. Nothing terribly exciting but feels like an old-school arcade game. (I cannot comment on the other audio tracks because I came nowhere close to completing the first tower.)

Hardcore retro-style platformer enthusiasts only. Even then, it seems a bit on the more difficult side.

Base price of $5.99 USD is hard for me to comment on. Since I have no idea what the whole game looks like. But from what I can see, it's definitely worth it to the right crowd.

Positives
+Nice use of the retro style
+Fun for the right players
+Engaging developer in forums
+Achievements for completing towers

Negatives
-Way too difficult, even if the difficulty was lowered after the initial release.
-Displayed in a narrow and tall window with a lot of negative space on screen.

Conclusion
Slingshot Explorer: The Twelve Towers is a very challenging experience with simple controls molded into a retro-platforming style that can be fun and worthwhile for the right crowd. I have to warn all casual players to steer clear of this title. Recommended for the hardcore platforming enthusiasts looking for a challenge.