0.0 hrs last two weeks / 10.8 hrs on record (10.2 hrs at review time)
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 @ 5:27am

Cat Quest II is a sequel to the original game in that it shares a similar locale and there is recurrence of a character or two. It continues to be a light Action RPG that is heavily dependent on its story and puns. With a loose story continuation you may feel that it's important to play the first game before the second. Although that is hardly necessary.

The story picks up as the protagonist Cat and Dog awake with minimal power, with a spirit guide to get you along. You will meet characters to help you, along with plenty of others trying to stop you in your tracks. Even those who help you out need you to prove your own worth. Being a hero is hard work! Especially when you are trapped between two existing empires that are paradoxically fortified against each other even though the original goals were maintaining peace.

If you haven't played the first game, it's fairly easy to obtain a cheap copy of that (since it was recently bundled) to be a good place to start if you can't decide about playing this game. The fundamental gameplay and the way the battle mechanics feel are essentially the same. Both games rely heavily on a main "Save-the-World" quest with lots of interesting side quests that are filled with hilarious/terrible puns, depending on how you view them. This time it's not just cat puns, but a panoply that includes dog jokes as well.

Please keep in mind that this game, like the first, is not the longest game out there. The main story took me less than 9 hours to run through, even though that was already with plenty of side-quest toiling. It does have some completionist content that would require a bit of extra time, and I think I will plan to run around and do as much as of it as I can.

When you take on any quest, side or main-story related, the game gives you a 1-5 skulls rating on the difficulty of the quest. This is completely dependent on your current level, so don't be surprised if you pass on a level 4 quest toward the beginning of the game only to come back to it later to find it downgraded to level 1-2, which is usually with minimal effort at your current level.

The game does now offer local co-op, which is a really nice feature. If you are playing by yourself, you can just equip the other character with whatever you want to, and the computer AI will take over its attacking and spell casting. You can switch between the two at any time, during or outside of combat. I ended up just keeping one character with mostly a magic build and thus with ranged attacks, and the other as a melee build. I switched between them when necessary. But the local co-op allows you to have two people sitting side by side to enjoy the game and maximize the potential of having two on-screen main characters at any time. Parsec works pretty well for those of you who want the co-op experience but do not have someone to sit down next to you to play with.

All of the cuteness is there from the original Cat Quest except now the game appeals to cat and dog lovers alike. The bag, chests, and plenty of other in-game artwork contain animal features. The saving animation retains its similar appearance of the main characters toppling over into a deep slumber.

This game, for a lot of reasons, is tons of fun. I hope you will find some time to take the dive yourself. For those of you who are unable to do so for one reason or another, but want to see more about the game, I have created a Let's Play series of it on YouTube. (15 episodes that includes a decent amount of random side-tracking, questing, and completion of the main quest.) The first video is here and you can find the whole playlist at my channel:

I call it light ARPG because the fighting is very straight forward, some hack-n-slash with dodgerolling, a simple set of equipped magic, and sometimes some ranged attacks if you are holding a magic wand. The enemies have plenty of tell about when they will attack and their range, so the game is very user-friendly and not too difficult.

I only played with a controller, and I definitely recommend that you do as well.

Cute, artsy, animal-loving goodness.

Music
This seems to be using more or less the same soundtrack as the first game, I didn't mind it at all. Some people may find it a bit repetitive.

It's not too difficult, so I think it appeals to a mid-range audience who may want some ARPG experience but is also here for the story.

$14.99 base price is only a couple of dollars increase compared to the first game, definitely worth it.

Conclusion
Cat Quest II is a worthwhile sequel in this series, with a similar gameplay time for the main quest and some completionist achievements that will take a bit longer. For me it was under 9 hours for the main quest/story including a bit of running around for side quests. For a friend it was about 18 hours for completion (9/9 achievements).

I remember that there was aftermarket end-game content for the original game, so I will be looking for a future update that adds similar things to this game as well. If similar end-game content gets added, the game will have some more achievements for sure, as well as quite a few daunting challenges that will be difficult even for the seasoned players.

Overall Cat Quest II is a very good light ARPG experience with a good story, and plenty of puns to either make you laugh or cringe. Sure, there may be a few small bugs here and there, but nothing that detracts from the gameplay experience.

Launch version score: 9/10.

YQMaoski Sep 26, 2019 @ 5:32am
You are welcome. :D Hopefully you enjoy CQ1!
Atti Br Sep 26, 2019 @ 2:27am
Just bought part 1 and just had a quick look. I saw the puns in English so I didn't dare check out the German version. You're review definitely makes me curious to play Cat Quest 1 quite soon and then maybe try out Part 2 as well. At least Part 2 made it to my wishlist. Thanks for the great review.