Posted: Aug 9, 2018 @ 10:03am

Repentant is a dark point & click adventure game that is a sequel to Little Kite. You can play this game without having any prior knowledge of the characters or story. There is a small introductory paragraph that you can access from the menu to get a quick back story, but this is also not necessary. This game is not for all ages, it is more mature-themed and suitable for adults. The adult themes include alcoholism, abuse, and violence.

In my opinion, the best part of this game is the story. You follow Oliver, who is an alcoholic whose wife had left him. He recognizes his past errors and want to make amends, but that door closed long ago. I won't ruin the story for you, you just have to play it yourself to find out what happens. The store page advertises "an unexpected ending."

The puzzles themselves are fairly easy and straight forward. There were perhaps 1-2 locations that served as temporary roadblocks but were fairly easy to overcome.

The game is fully voice-acted in English and done quite well.

The artwork is excellent. There are visible improvements in the artwork from the prequel, and clearly each setting/image/character design took plenty of time and effort.

The music is also fantastic, it really sets the mood for this game very well.

The game makes use of a standard inventory, where you can use items to interact with each other in your inventory, or with other objects on the screen.

You can click on the search button to highlight all the currently available interactive objects on the screen. This function is limited to 20 total uses. I would prefer if this were unlimited like in the first game. As a result, you try not to use this and sometimes you can overlook really small things. So being able to highlight things without additional stress saves a lot of frustration. Fortunately the game is fairly short (took me under 2 hours to complete) and so the limited use will cover pretty much the entire game.

The game saves automatically at certain check points. You cannot save the game in between these check points. Though not a huge problem, I still would prefer to be able to save and load from whenever and wherever.

The only issue I came across was when Oliver was unconscious, and he is walking on dream clouds, clicking anywhere on the screen that is not a direct linear path from where he is at the moment caused a brief screen jerk. I confirmed this with a friend who played as well. This is reproducible. It only occurred during this scene, and it was not that big of a deal.

All in all, this is a very good point and click adventure game with mature themes. If this fits the type of game that you like to play, I think you would have a very good time with it.

Here's a first look at the game, though if you want no spoilers, might want to hold off on watching and just try the game yourself!

delenn13 Aug 9, 2018 @ 3:26pm
Added it to my WL since I have Little Kite.