0.0 hrs last two weeks / 13.0 hrs on record (11.6 hrs at review time)
Posted: Mar 12, 2019 @ 4:10pm
Updated: Mar 12, 2019 @ 4:10pm

PLAYNE: The Meditation Game is more of a software, and less of a game. This was created by a single developer who is trying to promote meditation and to help those people who may benefit from such a simple daily activity. I have been using PLAYNE for a little over a week now, and I can definitely say that it has created for me a routine in which I meditate for a small while everyday.

The goal of this game is to help individuals build a habit of mindfulness, which in our often busy lives is not considered important. It creates a small pocket during the day that is dedicated to resting and relaxation while engaging in self reflexivity. The act of meditation is simple, but for people who are not familiar with it, the software leads you in and gives you a simple introduction before allowing you to discover the rest on your own.

The important aspects of meditation and benefits to our daily lives are explained quite well, so that in a way it convinces the user to be in the mindset to be more accepting of the tool. Meditation is all about that awareness that I have began to think of as mindlessly observing of our internal thoughts. This may allow us to find out what is in the foreground of our minds that may be a driving force behind some difficult to grasp uneasy feelings.

When I was younger, I tried to partake in self-reflexive activities, but I was unable to keep up with it. And I think that as an adult, having a busy schedule makes it even more difficult. By placing into this meditation game, I am now able to have a bit of extra motivation to engage in it on a daily basis. Even though there is this external drive, the internal benefit is not to be underestimated.

After using it for about 10 days, I have been utilizing the same method when I try to fall asleep. I am almost able to instantly clear my mind and leave the rest of the world and my own worries behind. I did not know whether it was going to work, in fact I had almost no confidence in it, because of my own inability to sleep from time to time. But what I found out by engaging in this simple activity is that I no longer have trouble falling asleep, only a matter of days into doing it on a daily basis. The trouble now is finding enough hours to sleep.

While I think this could probably benefit a lot of people, I think I was already in the appropriate mindset to properly engage in the activity. In fact, I may not need to continue using this program to continue reaping my own personal benefit from starting into this daily habit. But I probably will for some time, just to continue to develop this habit. As we all know, good habits are difficult to develop, and bad habits are incredibly difficult to kick. Plus I want to see how the world of PLAYNE grows, which is a pictoral representation of the personal growth that this game begets.

Please keep in mind that if you already do daily meditation, this software is superfluous for you. There is absolutely no need for you to get it. I think this is best for two types of individuals: 1.)those who have a wish to try out meditation and who do not know how to properly get into it and 2.)those who have difficulty keeping a regular pace for a meditative habit. That is why above I have mentioned I am not sure if I still need to continue to use the software, because aside from my daily use of the software I have already started to get into the same mindset as I lie down to sleep at night.

Warning for achievement hunters, if you must 100% everything, this is a very long haul and very difficult. There are plenty of other achievement hunting games out there that may be more suitable for you.

I have to thank the developer for creating this so that I can now build this habit and to benefit from it. It's not that I couldn't have done it without PLAYNE, but I know that this is the first time I am meditating on a daily basis from the times I have tried it in the past. So I absolutely would recommend it.

Here's a video I made showing what the game/software has to offer:

YQMaoski Jan 12 @ 7:53pm
Thank you for reading!
Jackie_Plays Jan 12 @ 6:24am
Really great review, YQMaoski. Thank you for taking the time and for sharing. :steamthis: :-)
YQMaoski Mar 12, 2019 @ 4:56pm
I remember following this game fairly early on after it started its early development phase. I think that the achievements was driven by popular request. Though I am not a fan of the streak achievements. Fortunately I don't care too much about percentages and such. I completely agree that information about meditation is just out there and anyone can get into it without paying the premium as well.
SunlessMeridian Mar 12, 2019 @ 4:43pm
The fact that this has achievements would totally ruin it for me, running contrary to the experience and being distracting and irksome. sadtimes.jpg

Plus it seems a little expensive given the alternatives.