Posted: Oct 13, 2018 @ 6:37am

Space Raiders RPG is a game that has been ported over from the free mobile version that has in-app purchases. The Steam version costs base price of $4.99 USD and while there are no more purchases to be made, there is still too much time wasted sitting and waiting.

In turn, this now becomes a background idling game instead of an active game half of the time. It leaves the player waiting for timers to count down, while trying to do something else productive. You can always shorten the waiting window for the passive parts by paying in-game gems, which is directly from the mobile P2W version. Instead, you have to scrounge around for these gems instead.

The mobile port attempt without too much change is evident from the beginning, when you look at the information pages, and the click to drag parts of the pages clearly indicative of finger touch motions. In addition, there are places where the game tells you to "tap" on the screen. Also there's no quit game option, only you can leave the game by pressing "Esc" from the main menu.

There are a lot of things to do, exploring, gathering, salvaging, fighting against enemies, and managing resources. You go through the motions of getting resources to upgrade everything around you, and this makes it easier for you to travel around and repeat the same things again in a more hostile environment. There are too many things to do, and their variety is sometimes very odd and poorly cohesive in gameplay. Parts of the game wants you to sit around and wait, parts of the game wants you to make active decisions. That's why I mentioned this as a half-idling game, because it's not an idler that you can leave and come back to like many others.

The music is disabled in the very beginning, and I thought that was part of the idler type of game, so that you can have it running in the background and not worry about extra sounds. You can turn it on from the menu.

The game's many aspect of gameplay, with the many things to do is rather nice. In addition, the choose-your-adventure seems to take you down plenty of story lines.

The dialogue is pretty funny (though with some grammar/usage errors, none inexcusable).

The turn-based battles are not outstanding, they are interesting, though I can't say that they brought much more fun to the game.

Conclusion
Space Raiders RPG seems to have potential if it can rid its shell of half-idling mobile port and actually become more fleshed out as a PC game. Even though there are positives in this game and several things do stand out, there's too much that still needs improvement. In particular, there is a free mobile version with in-app purchases available for mobile, and this feels like there has not been much in the way of improvements or changes. The need to sit and wait constantly gives it an idler feel, but the need to participate in some active components means that walking away for a while doesn't yield much in terms of results. Sadly I cannot recommend this game.

To see some gameplay footage, see the following video, a lot of the game mechanics are shown: